Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 3/12/17 at 8:24am in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where should the points on my shirt collar lie in relation to my...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 4868post #73006 of 1176667/18/12 at 10:54pmpost #73007 of 1176667/18/12 at 10:57pmpost #73008 of 1176667/19/12 at 3:48amThread StarterWas behind 2 #menswear types on the MTR today, both wearing sockless bucks, shorts, and button up shirts. never realized how fucking gross it looks. The whole #meanswear thing is big in Hong Kong with foreigners, you see so many old white guys with rolled raw selvedge jeans, bead bracelets and tailored shirts tucked in, double monks, etc.. It looks unforgivably tacky, for some reason, like I would be instantly turned-off from meeting that person.
Edited by Eason - 7/19/12 at 3:59ampost #73009 of 1176667/19/12 at 5:02ampost #73010 of 1176667/19/12 at 6:29amQuote:Originally Posted by Eason
Was behind 2 #menswear types on the MTR today, both wearing sockless bucks, shorts, and button up shirts. never realized how fucking gross it looks. The whole #meanswear thing is big in Hong Kong with foreigners, you see so many old white guys with rolled raw selvedge jeans, bead bracelets and tailored shirts tucked in, double monks, etc.. It looks unforgivably tacky, for some reason, like I would be instantly turned-off from meeting that person.
No matter what their Tumblr hags tell them, none of it's really on the sexy side of dressingpost #73011 of 1176667/19/12 at 6:35ampost #73012 of 1176667/19/12 at 6:51ampost #73013 of 1176667/19/12 at 7:28ampost #73014 of 1176667/19/12 at 7:38ampost #73015 of 1176667/19/12 at 7:52am
Sorry, Parker, I'm going to go with fail on this one too. It just looks like a suit that's way too big for you, not an intentionally slouchy / loose fit.
It's not often we get to say 'that's bad' to you so I'm enjoying this rare occasion!post #73016 of 1176667/19/12 at 7:58amHard to judge honestly without better shots. But the rolled pants cuffs are what makes the fit look intentional here. With a long break on the pants, there could be a doubt, but not styled this way IMOpost #73017 of 1176667/19/12 at 8:14amagree with gdl. i'd also like to see the look from the front though. i think this could be cool if the shoulders are really soft (like almost jersey soft), but it doesn't look that way from what I can see. i'm not a fan of the oversized jacket unless it's really slouchy, even when Yohji does it. also, I think if we could see the tshirt it would emphasize how casual the fit is and that would help it make sense, but again you don't see that from the side.post #73018 of 1176667/19/12 at 8:33amyeah, I should have added that this was a cheap $20 experiment, and I wasn't really sure if it worked. yes, it's intentionally too big, mr. rambo... I think the proportions are still a little frumpy and the cut just too "American insurance salesman" to be cool (even in an Andy Warhol kinda way). I took the padding out of the shoulders so they are a little droopier and threw the whole thing in the washer & dryer. maybe if I did that a dozen more times it would get nice and rumply. as you all know I've been getting into Yohji's stuff and a lot of his jackets are intenionally boxy and big, but I totally agree you can't just take a normal-ass suit and size up. not only are there differences in materials and details, but also in the actual cutting of the pattern. it might sound obvious, but it gives me an appreciation for how the little things like the shape of a lapel or the front cutaway are so critical to the overall look. again, this was just an experiment. and fwiw, I still like vintage Brooks Brothers sack cut, but in my regular size.
here's the front view:post #73019 of 1176667/19/12 at 8:37ampost #73020 of 1176667/19/12 at 8:40amAh, thank you Mr. Parker. I figured you were going for something. You're normally too good a dresser to just walk out of the damn house in a 46L. I just couldn't figure out what the hell it was.
Would you retry the experiment with something like a D&G or Etro suit in a larger size? Slimmer cut so from the start to offset the larger sizing. I don't know what the Yohji aesthetic is so I don't know if that would defeat the purpose or not.
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
Currently, there are 1669 Active Users (332 Members and 1337 Guests)
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 1 minute ago
- › Magnanni Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 2 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 2 minutes ago
- › Barbour Warm Pile Liner, Jcrew Shawl sweater, Banana Republic Cardigan 4 minutes ago
- › MC General Chat 4 minutes ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 7 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...