or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 4690  

post #70336 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

why would you be ashamed of your interest in clothes? just don't be a dick about it (I'm wearing a shirt that costs $300!) and recognize that, on a fundamental level, it's meaningless.

nod[1].gif
post #70337 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

Look at the cut of those pants. There are not many wide legged pants that look like that.
Also, you would probably enjoy it more if you saw it in motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance View Post

Yup, you'll never see a pair of dockers with a hem like that.
Yea I did notice the tapering to the hem but I didn't see anything special in the top block or anything like that. Not the most trained eye, though. And imo the way the pants are stacked seemed a bit sloppy. I haven't seen any Yohji runway but I know Asobu, for one, usually has really voluminous pants with zero break which looks really unique. Basically I feel like the current taper doesn't lend itself to that kind of stacking/break and would be better either less or more tapered. But what do I know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post

FTFY
The Yohji/Damir/Rick/luxe lounge aesthetic is pretty much for yourself as over 90% of people will think nothing of your outfit, even a lot thinking you're wearing cheap, no name basic, unless looking closer at the fabric. It takes someone who is familiar and appreciates the aesthetic to 'rave' about it.
Nil- You should get dif tees if you're headed this way. Shoulder seam is too tight. Also Shah is spot on with the chunkier footwear comment. Those F&B would look appropriate if you had no break on the pants, but as they are you need something different. and are you going to pick up some drop crotch shorts like you mentioned before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

dmash got it right. I wear this because it's incredibly comfortable in this heat, I like the way it flows around me in motion, and perhaps a small amount of elitist nerdery that comes from knowing something that most of the people around me don't. I disagree that the pants even look remotely business casual though. The fabric, cut and detailing set it apart.
Yeah, I mean, I totally understand that. I get that a huge part of these is lost in still, grainy photos. We can't see any of the fabric or detailing or motion in your pics and a decent part of the cut may be lost as well. So I understand that they look better in real life than they do here, and that people who know that it's Yohji assume the best.

I was just a bit surprised that your fit got a decent amount of love when little of that translates through the photos; I know we play this game a lot, but if you hadn't put the brand, would nearly as many people have liked it?
post #70338 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedobandito View Post

I just don't really like discussing my interest in clothing around friends who think it's a preposterous hobby. I'm fine defending it every now and then, but usually the argument gets overblown and I get ganged up on haha
Just don't really find it pleasant

It Gets Better
post #70339 of 117677
Many thanks for the feedback, people
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisDB9 View Post

Barims, is your idol Nicky Barnes (dress wise?) Thats all I think of when I see your fits

Including my wedding outfits?

But no, not specifically - I only know of him because of American Gangster - I'm just interested in adapting that particular era to my tastes (it's either that or become a caricature, like the "unique individuals" sending in photographs to The Chap. Besides, it's (sometimes) a bit broader than that - a mate of mine doesn't label me "The Don Cornelius-Fred Astaire Lovechild" for nothing, I'm sure
post #70340 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by prurient View Post

892
Post O'Alls
Kurashiki Kojima
Monitaly
Arrow x Nepenthes

take notes, this is it.
post #70341 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by saludoalostros View Post

To be honest, I have never anyone wear Yohji in public (broad daylight or otherwise).  So I am going to conclude Yohji is there to allow folks to play dress-up on the Internet.
I have, however, seen people wear clothes with Yohji-like shapes and cut, but they tend to be women who are new immigrants from places like Yemen or Pakistan.

miran 3.0
post #70342 of 117677
I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying, and obviously I'm open about my interest in clothing. However, it gets pretty obnoxious to have to defend myself, clothing is a hobby that lends itself to abuses.

And artishard, I think the concept of complete disregard for what others think is absurd. We're fundamentally social creatures, even people who live on the fringes are defined by normative values and practices and their personal reactions to them. To consider one exempt from or above social criticism or the social dynamic is ignorant, imo.

Plus, whenever I hear anyone say it, I think of those 7th grade scene girls on Myspace that would post along the lines of "Sometimes I'm a bitch but I don't give a F what you think! lol"
post #70343 of 117677
We all self-conscious, reedobandito's just the first to admit it.
post #70344 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaozedong View Post

We all self-conscious, reedobandito's just the first to admit it.
thats why you see me with at least one of my watches...
post #70345 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersport View Post

I was just a bit surprised that your fit got a decent amount of love when little of that translates through the photos; I know we play this game a lot, but if you hadn't put the brand, would nearly as many people have liked it?

 

Probably not.  But then, the knowledge that the pants are Yohji fills in some of the gaps left by a static image that isn't completely representative.  People wondering if the fabric is good, or if the pants look good in motion, can find their answers by looking at the brand (yohji = looks better IRL/looks better in motion/etc.).  At least, that's how I see it.  There's probably a lot of brand-whoring going on too, though.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by artishard116 View Post

your first problem is worrying what other people think

 

My friends are very accepting of my interest in fashion, and I don't catch any flak as long as I don't go too far over the edge.  I want to let my tastes in fashion evolve as they will, but I also don't want to get picked on because my clothing is too far from the norm.  As reedo and some philosopher (Socrates?) have both said: man is a social animal. 

 

And then, there's the stereotype that all fashion-y men are gay.  cloud.gif

post #70346 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by e0d9n0b5 View Post

take notes, this is it.

straight out of Free & Easy... smile.gif
post #70347 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

why would you be ashamed of your interest in clothes? just don't be a dick about it (I'm wearing a shirt that costs $300!) and recognize that, on a fundamental level,

How embarrassing.

256

No that is certainly not my shirt
post #70348 of 117677
whenever a friend or someone comments on my clothes in a way that sounds derisive (ie. snotty like a 7th grader) I explain briefly why I like my clothes or tell them something about the designer and their attitude changes pretty quickly. they suddenly find themselves interested and don't just think it's weird but look at the clothes as something that a real person thought up and made. what a concept!
post #70349 of 117677
yohji is not about whether people realize you're wearing yohji
post #70350 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post

yohji is not about whether people realize you're wearing yohji

People that shouldn't be wearing Yohji are the only ones that WANT people to know they're wearing it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread