or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 4427  

post #66391 of 117670
Responding to your first post was such a mistake.

It's like signing up for cat facts

Except no fun at all
post #66392 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

Can you go back to MC already? You post here under the guide of open-mindlessness...


HzICW.jpg
post #66393 of 117670
damnit acecow is shitting up my point. i just feel that hendrix's jacket is more formal than the two you posted, and it's made even more formal by the use of a pocket square.
post #66394 of 117670
New Styleforum drinking game:

Take a shot whenever the phrase "my opinion(s)" appears in an acecow post.
post #66395 of 117670
I can see that. IMO most of the formality comes from the length.
post #66396 of 117670
also the deep v neck + blazer look is really eason/club douchey, would be different he was wearing a loose slouchy shirt.
post #66397 of 117670

Easter: jacket sleeve is actually longer than it looks in the pic.

 

IMG_2563.JPG IMG_2564.JPG

post #66398 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post

Structured shoulders not only imply a certain level of formality historically, they also require stronger lines below to balance them. Those lines are provided by a shirt collar and a vertical placket, which are missing on a v-neck. Even worse, the deep plunge of a v-neck contrasts even more with the padded and roped shoulders.
Cool, so there are two assumptions here, which I'll tackle one at a time

1. Structured shoulders require stronger lines below to balance them
I disagree. I find the contrast of structured shoulders with "unstructured" elements like sweaters or tees creates an energy that I think is pretty sweet. Often attempts at balancing structure succeed only at watering it down, which bores me

2. The presence of a collar and a placket is needed to provide balance
Again, this is a point with roots in social convention rather than aesthetics. Assuming that dramatic shoulders require balance to begin with, a collar/placket aren't the only elements that can do so. Below is a fit pic from an SZ dude to illustrate. Here, the severe shoulders are balanced by strict tailoring elsewhere, such as the skinny arms + jeans. The longsleeve pullover has neither a placket nor collar, and yet the fit still doesn't seem unbalanced.
sz pic (Click to show)
AU0x6l.jpg

Oh, and here's another example from Stephan Schneider that I'm including just because it's awesome. It lacks the "traditional" collar/placket to balance the heavy shoulders and instead uses a top made from very thin jersey fabric, which creates a really cool sense of energy
schneider pic (Click to show)
kStcF.png

I really like both of these fotos, though I don't see much relation between them and Hendrix's fit. I too thought his blazer came off a bit structured/formal, given the rest of his outfit. Don't care to much about "social convention." I care more about what looks cool. This was one of his better fits. It could have been even better with maybe a darker/non V tee, or softer shoulders IMHO.
post #66399 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

damnit acecow is shitting up my point. i just feel that hendrix's jacket is more formal than the two you posted, and it's made even more formal by the use of a pocket square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

Teger,
Valid concern. To me, the blazer already feels like a bit of a juxtaposition in terms of the textured fabric and sharp cut, and I kinda like adding to that by wearing it like i would a moto jacket - something with similar structured shape but still rugged. I liked how this turned out but I understand why you might not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

also the deep v neck + blazer look is really eason/club douchey, would be different he was wearing a loose slouchy shirt.

it's not really that deep, but point taken and i'll try a looser one next time.
post #66400 of 117670
yea i read your reply. you know what i would've liked? that jacket + your whitish linen pants + the tshirt.
post #66401 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocostella View Post

I really like both of these fotos, though I don't see much relation between them and Hendrix's fit. I too thought his blazer came off a bit structured/formal, given the rest of his outfit. Don't care to much about "social convention." I care more about what looks cool. This was one of his better fits. It could have been even better with maybe a darker/non V tee, or softer shoulders IMHO.

Yeah, looking back at his fit I realized the shoulders were structured in a much different way than the pics I posted. I guess I was more defending the general aesthetic, which is one to which I tend to gravitate in this whole clothing game
post #66402 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

yea i read your reply. you know what i would've liked? that jacket + your whitish linen pants + the tshirt.

interesting, never would've thought of that. i might play dressup tonight.
post #66403 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty View Post

660

douchebag%20forever.gif
post #66404 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post

You are being very impolite. You shouldn't act here differently than you would in real life just because you're hidden behind a computer and not face to face with me.
I am allowed to post my opinions and participate in discussions, no? I was under the impression I wasn't insulting anyone's intelligence, rather posting my opinions. Also, being open-minded and liking everything mindlessly are two different things in my mind. I will never like very structured jackets in casual and relaxed fits, because they don't look relaxed.
FWIW, here's my reply to hendrix's fit in the MC Casual thread (sorry for the broken english, didn't proof-read):

FWIW, I think your first post regarding (your opinion of) structured jackets and appropriate shirting was fine; however, the follow-up post to B!CD's response ("there are always rules in... 'art'") kind of came off as a shut-down, "this is the end of this conversation" sort of retort. You may not have necessarily intended that, but saying (however casually it might have first appeared) that "there's nothing to discuss," and then (perhaps inadvertently) implying B!CD's ignorance w/r/t How to Dress Well effectively performs that very shutting-down-of-the-conversation. In other words: your points were fine; B!CD's points were fine—the follow-up came off as a bit, well, crude.

And, if I can add something that I think is just really helpful for anyone when talking about any aesthetic object(s), but specifically related to SF: This is a discussion thread about style—people are going to inevitably disagree since they draw upon different backgrounds, histories, politics, etc. The discussion may very well end because two people arrive at a point where they realize that their appreciation for particular aesthetic objects has long since split; but that does not mean that the articulation of those very ways of appreciation cannot be considerate, well-crafted, and polite. All of this goes out the window if you're a(n un-)practicing (not-)subscriber to anti-social, anti-relational, negative politics.

Now—fashion:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
284
post #66405 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance View Post

Yeah, looking back at his fit I realized the shoulders were structured in a much different way than the pics I posted. I guess I was more defending the general aesthetic, which is one to which I tend to gravitate in this whole clothing game

i kinda like doing it more than unstructured jackets - which i find a bit obvious, as long as there's a nice texture. as I said, it feels like i'm wearing a leather jacket.

also - the second pic seems pretty similar to what i was going for. looser tee would probably make it look better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread