or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 4362  

post #65416 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompson View Post

263
I don't understand. I draw the line when people wear socks and sandals with their armor. Where are their Allen-Edmonds? Different doesn't always look good.

Cross-posted from the Yohji thread?
post #65417 of 117670
For example, I read a bit of the Yohji thread and I think I understand why people are obsessing with it. It's ridden with historical and cultural references to traditional Japanese way of life and dressing. I can clearly see that and I can respectfully disagree with that style. I still think it looks alien on the streets of New York, but I won't say it's baseless.
post #65418 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

1297473_o.gif

I like that Jim Carrey is speaking the shah's language.
post #65419 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagutcow View Post

Now see, this is the kind of discussion I'd like. It's so much more productive than "D00D U SUCK!!!1"
Yes, my clothes do reflect a set of conscious biases, and yes, I can articulate reasons for these biases. For one thing, I have very short arms, and I find long-sleeve anything draws attention to this fact. A solid-color long-sleeve top will make my entire top part look extremely blocky, since the sleeves of my shirt are so close to being flush with the hemline. I get many of my t-shirts shortened simply because they're apparently made for much taller people (American Apparel exacerbated this trend,) but also to mitigate the short-arms effect. I'll admit that I've shortened some shirts too much.
The 5EPs are too tight, I admit— an unfortunate result of a warm wash I gave them after accidentally sitting in a drunk fucktard's piss. I'm hoping a cold wash and a day of wearing them damp sometime this summer will help loosen them up. Those old washed Nudies I can't get within two inches of buttoning these days. Just as well, they've been through the washing machine so many times they started looking like stonewashed dad jeans under blacklight. I bought some cheap mid-blue straight leg Buffalo jeans to wear this summer until I can get a permanent solution in place (I have a huge store of 'summer color' t-shirts that I've been unable to wear with the noticeably greencast 5EPs and Nudies.)
Also, I moved into a second-story apartment about six months ago, and I seriously think just the act of walking up and down the flight of stairs is making my butt and thighs even bigger than they were before. This makes the shrinking jeans phenomenon even more problematic.
In clothing, form follows function- social function- and my only social functions these days are going out to bars and playing pool. So naturally t-shirts are the most functional and comfortable for this purpose. In the winter, I'll throw a hoodie over it and take it off once I get inside. V-necks help shorten my comparatively long torso.
Keep in mind I'm 5'8.5" and 190-something pounds. Drapey, experimental silhouettes would end up looking sloppy on me. I keep everything fitted by design, although I'll cop to some errors in judgement (overhemming shirts, shrinking jeans, etc.)

The only way you make you living is by playing pool?
post #65420 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post

For example, I read a bit of the Yohji thread and I think I understand why people are obsessing with it. It's ridden with historical and cultural references to traditional Japanese way of life and dressing. I can clearly see that and I can respectfully disagree with that style. I still think it looks alien on the streets of New York, but I won't say it's baseless.


Really Acecow?

 

I don't know what part of NYC you operate in... but Yohji disciples are on ever corner except Wall street and Times Square

post #65421 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirailleur1 View Post



Really Acecow?

I don't know what part of NYC you operate in... but Yohji disciples are on ever corner except Wall street and Times Square

nah
post #65422 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirailleur1 View Post

I don't know what part of NYC you operate in... but Yohji disciples are on ever corner except Wall street and Times Square

laugh.gif Dude, those are old Asian men wearing their regular, fairly-priced old men clothes. That's like saying, I'm always seeing these surly goth kids at the mall, and with them, it's *all Rick, all the time*.
post #65423 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirailleur1 View Post



Really Acecow?

I don't know what part of NYC you operate in... but Yohji disciples are on ever corner except Wall street and Times Square

Maybe, I don't live in NY, I only visit. There's definitely not a lot of them in LA.
post #65424 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post


nah


Every corner is an overstatement, but the sighting is fairly regular. The Village, LES, Chelsea, West Village Flatiron... and yes... I have even spotted some at UES

post #65425 of 117670

except it's not YY...

post #65426 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post

To be fair, that's pretty much Uncontrol's whole raison, too.
Weirder thing rarely mentioned: how the people receiving the most thumbs/wearing the most unobtainable/different ensembles show up only to collect thumbs, then depart -- never, ever commenting on anyone else's fits, or offering advice, or really, any sort of discussion beyond their own daily wardrobes. (As long as you're delving into motivations).

In all honesty I don't think this is true for the majority of these people.

People like synth, snowman, shah, fuuma, tween, parker, MoK, Lane etc. do participate in the thread by commenting on people's fits, giving thumb ups, offering advice and critique, troll and even get into some of the flame wars that go on here. There are a few highly regarded posters who are just not on the forum much at all - asobu, platypus et al - and when they are, I guess posting pics is a way of participating in the thread and even then, they don't do much of that.

Speaking for myself, my motivation for posting fits is to contribute in some way to the forum, get feedback and sometimes because I am excited by a new item of clothing I just picked up and thought I would share. I believe I have a good idea of what works for my body, but my general fashion and style knowledge is definitely not up to the task of offering advice or making astute and informed commentary on people's fits. Especially when there are the aforementioned people (and more who I did not list, including people like Jet who doesn't post that much any more) who are generally up to the task of doing so. The few times I feel I might have something to say, someone else has said it anyway. Thumbing up stuff is way easier and allows me to show my appreciation for a pic without talking out of my arse or making redundant "cool fit bro" comments.
post #65427 of 117670
Need a better place to take pictures.

700

Shoes are AE captoes.
post #65428 of 117670
I hate you Synthese that grocery store fit is so good man, the vans? look great.
G'd up.
post #65429 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivwri View Post

In all honesty I don't think this is true for the majority of these people.
People like synth, snowman, shah, fuuma, tween, parker, MoK, Lane etc. do participate in the thread by commenting on people's fits, giving thumb ups, offering advice and critique, troll and even get into some of the flame wars that go on here. There are a few highly regarded posters who are just not on the forum much at all - asobu, platypus et al - and when they are, I guess posting pics is a way of participating in the thread and even then, they don't do much of that.
Speaking for myself, my motivation for posting fits is to contribute in some way to the forum, get feedback and sometimes because I am excited by a new item of clothing I just picked up and thought I would share. I believe I have a good idea of what works for my body, but my general fashion and style knowledge is definitely not up to the task of offering advice or making astute and informed commentary on people's fits. Especially when there are the aforementioned people (and more who I did not list, including people like Jet who doesn't post that much any more) who are generally up to the task of doing so. The few times I feel I might have something to say, someone else has said it anyway. Thumbing up stuff is way easier and allows me to show my appreciation for a pic without talking out of my arse or making redundant "cool fit bro" comments.

Ivri, I'm going to politely disagree with you, here, and say I've read enough of your posts to know you are fully alert to the possibilities of not one, but many kinds of art, and that this shines through in your forumly contributions. Show me a bad artist, I'll show you someone 100% convinced of their knowledge and abilities.
post #65430 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post

Need a better place to take pictures.
700
Shoes are AE captoes.

Nice attempt except:

shirt needs to be untucked
trousers rise too low / sagging or again, the visual can be helped by untucking your shirt
the inseam needs to be hemmed

re:
501

overall needs a full body shot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread