Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- After Hours Look Last post on 10/16/12 at 7:16pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
- High-quality white shirt on short notice (in New York?) Last post on 12/15/12 at 5:06am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Bison Made
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Four Horsemen Shop
- GABE Tailored
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Jeffrey George
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Upstate Stock
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 4262
Styleforum Top Picks
Don't worry dude- that was just my "test" shirt. Maybe I measured wrong, maybe they interpreted my measurements funny, whatever, but I was just saying that I have to add like a half inch to the waist for future orders. I'm not gonna throw the shirt away or anything like that.
No, they aren't. I would say that most of them are in their 30s or 40s and a good many are much older. There are a few younger posters, but Liam_O is an oddity and no-one thinks he dresses well over in MC. He seems to think he's being true to himself and I guess anyone might feel like that the first time they are subjected to concerted criticism.
Anyway, as I said on that thread, the whole argument was stupid. There's no way you can claim that an entire way of dressing is fundamentally better or worse (or more 'manly', FFS!) than another. It's all about that any fit works in the context in which it seeks to be judged, and that's influenced by a whole lot of really superficial or actually entirely irrelevant things (e.g. if a particular brand is mentioned then people will like it regardless of how it looks, or in the latter case, how well people know the person posting). People in both MC and SW&D are pretty forgiving of some entirely unremarkable fits if they are either brand-heavy or being worn by people who are liked...
At the other end, however, there are a very small percentage of people in both subforums who actually dress consistently outstandingly, and I think most people in either place would have no trouble agreeing who those are (Parker being the clearest SW&D example of cross-forum consensus, but perhaps more surprisingly for those who think that MC posters wouldn't get SW&D I am guessing that none of the decent MCers would fail to see that Ivwri has the same kind of successful dedication to Yohji Yamamoto as SpooPoker has to Tom Ford). And personally, my favourite posters in MC tend to the more dandyish end of the spectrum and get plenty of love over here - Barims, being a prime example, who doesn't post enough these days.
For me though, the WAYWRN threads are not the most interesting things on these forums. It's the wealth of specialist knowledge on both sides, whether it be about handmade shoes or obscure Japanese labels. That's what makes this place worth coming back to.
FWIW, I don't really find the cross-platforming to be that difficult. Yeah, it costs a little money if you want to do the Clark Kent to Streetwear superman shit on the daily, but nothing that a lot of posters here don't already spend. Just need a modicum of taste, a little knowledge (don't have to know everything though) - one doesn't even necessarily have to buy the most ultimate jawnz in their category, there's just certain checklists that the forums have set up for determining a good outfit from a bad one.
Good for you for letting yourself go!
I cannot control myself either....
La bouffe du soir:
First course...toasted thinly-sliced ciabatta, topped with prosciutto crudo and a fig spread. The fig spread was made last Saturday with 1/2 fresh figs, 1/2 dried Turkish figs, and as much sykordo as the spread will take...sykordo is Greek fig brandy, brought back by someone, home-distilled by their grandfather...the spread is then flambéed à la russe (this means flambeed at the table just before eating, as opposed to à la française, which means flambeed in the kitchen and brought out as the flames are dying down).
Second course---a 3-pound Red snapper...pan-fried whole...with capers and lemons and a little dill...and then flambéed à la française with pernod....
Third course---just finish up licking the fig spread leftover in the dish....
Edited by Miran2 - 3/13/12 at 11:29pm
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 28 seconds ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 1 minute ago
- › No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › WTB: Ivory/Cream/Off-White Two Button 100% Silk Blazer 40R 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 9 minutes ago
- › AMAZING TOJ EXCHANGE THREAD (Don't sell for a loss. Trade for... 13 minutes ago
- › Rick Owens Leather Jacket identification -- Stooges? 16 minutes ago
- › Auction New Model 2014 Custom Briefcase by the Joseph P. Marcellino... 18 minutes ago
- › Mister Freedom Chambray NOS Shirt - Medium 20 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › Herschel Ravine Black/Tan FA 12 by pfmicks
- › Vans Footwear The Barbour Classic Slip On Sneaker,10.5,Green by ATLnoob
- › Berg & Berg unlined silk bow tie (SS'13) by MTB-85
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw