Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
- High-quality white shirt on short notice (in New York?) Last post on 10/6/14 at 12:01pm in Classic Menswear
What I Learned from Slim Denim
Last edited: 12/21/14
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 4206post #63076 of 1176683/2/12 at 8:41am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #63077 of 1176683/2/12 at 10:08ampost #63078 of 1176683/2/12 at 10:55ampost #63079 of 1176683/2/12 at 11:00ampost #63080 of 1176683/2/12 at 11:07amQuote:
If the dress code calls for no untucked shirts, then don't wear jeans. It almost never looks good.post #63081 of 1176683/2/12 at 11:29ampost #63082 of 1176683/2/12 at 11:36ampost #63083 of 1176683/2/12 at 11:40ampost #63084 of 1176683/2/12 at 11:40ampost #63085 of 1176683/2/12 at 11:50amWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:Originally Posted by furoQuote:
Nah, I just wasn't standing up straight. Here's another:Quote:
If you are implicitly required to tuck your shirt in, just don't wear a polo. It makes you look like a bestbuy employee.post #63086 of 1176683/2/12 at 11:56ampost #63087 of 1176683/2/12 at 12:02pmpost #63088 of 1176683/2/12 at 12:06pmpost #63089 of 1176683/2/12 at 12:29pm
Oh I can't stand this anymore..yesterday, the cardigan was on trial with the clueless riffraff as jury...today it's the polo...
First things first--the jeans--with that cuff folding they look ridiculous, especially with those dressy shoes...ignore the hipsters, it looks bloody daft. The belt is also too much with those jeans...
Now--the polo: The polo shirt is one of the classics of the 20th century that will last long after the last drop of petroleum is exhausted from the ground. The reason for its enduring success--versatility. There are so many styles, cuts, shapes, sleeve lengths, lengths,blah blah blah....but even with such diversity the polo is unforgiving. The fit must be precise.
First rule of thumb...upper chest, shoulders fit...it has to fit very snugly here. Yours does, good. You have chosen a more modern athletic fit with shorter arms, it seems to work for you...although it is impossible to tell this without seeing you move around in it. The collar is also modern, which is fine, and you've chosen to leave the buttons closed, that's also fine. You are doing a lot of things right.
Here is Sean Connery in Dr No, wearing one of the great icons of the 20th century--John's Smedley's Isis, available at Mr Porter, John Smedley online and all other fine, no lifetime return with no questions asked, non-riffraff establishments.
See how he has left the buttons opened, but also tucked in...but because of the simplicity of the pants and the lightness of the fabrics for the tropical Caribbean setting, it works!
Here is Fred Perry, also tucked in...but notice the casual belt and the non-domineering pants....
For yours, with that athletic fit with the rolling collar and the shorter sleeves, I also think untucked would work better...but tucked doesn't look bad at all actually.
If you want untucked, here is Daniel Craig in Tom Ford's plagiarism of another John Smedley 50-year-old classic--the Jeremy, also available at Mr Porter.
So for you, I would just lose the overaccessorizing and just loosen up...and ignore all the criticisms about polos...you look quite good actually.
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Cars We Drive! 6 seconds ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 1 minute ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 3 minutes ago
- › Need Supply - official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 5 minutes ago
- › RLPL Flannel Suit Slim 40R made in England by Chester Barrie 7 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 13 minutes ago
- › Clothes and Perception 14 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 15 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › Sneakers for Boot People
- › The Pleasures and Perils of the Long Coat
- › Professor Fabulous Returns to the Closet
- › Why Styleforum Matters
- › The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 0
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays