Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
- High-quality white shirt on short notice (in New York?) Last post on 12/15/12 at 5:06am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 4206
Styleforum Top Picks
If the dress code calls for no untucked shirts, then don't wear jeans. It almost never looks good.
Nah, I just wasn't standing up straight. Here's another:
If you are implicitly required to tuck your shirt in, just don't wear a polo. It makes you look like a bestbuy employee.
Oh I can't stand this anymore..yesterday, the cardigan was on trial with the clueless riffraff as jury...today it's the polo...
First things first--the jeans--with that cuff folding they look ridiculous, especially with those dressy shoes...ignore the hipsters, it looks bloody daft. The belt is also too much with those jeans...
Now--the polo: The polo shirt is one of the classics of the 20th century that will last long after the last drop of petroleum is exhausted from the ground. The reason for its enduring success--versatility. There are so many styles, cuts, shapes, sleeve lengths, lengths,blah blah blah....but even with such diversity the polo is unforgiving. The fit must be precise.
First rule of thumb...upper chest, shoulders fit...it has to fit very snugly here. Yours does, good. You have chosen a more modern athletic fit with shorter arms, it seems to work for you...although it is impossible to tell this without seeing you move around in it. The collar is also modern, which is fine, and you've chosen to leave the buttons closed, that's also fine. You are doing a lot of things right.
Here is Sean Connery in Dr No, wearing one of the great icons of the 20th century--John's Smedley's Isis, available at Mr Porter, John Smedley online and all other fine, no lifetime return with no questions asked, non-riffraff establishments.
See how he has left the buttons opened, but also tucked in...but because of the simplicity of the pants and the lightness of the fabrics for the tropical Caribbean setting, it works!
Here is Fred Perry, also tucked in...but notice the casual belt and the non-domineering pants....
For yours, with that athletic fit with the rolling collar and the shorter sleeves, I also think untucked would work better...but tucked doesn't look bad at all actually.
If you want untucked, here is Daniel Craig in Tom Ford's plagiarism of another John Smedley 50-year-old classic--the Jeremy, also available at Mr Porter.
So for you, I would just lose the overaccessorizing and just loosen up...and ignore all the criticisms about polos...you look quite good actually.
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE 29th AUGUST: THE 'ALL BLUES' CHALLENGE 3 minutes ago
- › Herring Shoes - Experiences? 4 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 8 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 10 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 13 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 20 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 28 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 30 minutes ago
- › Pal Zileri Herringbone Sport Coat 50R 40R 31 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 14 33 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)