or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 4187  

post #62791 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post

Jet?
Nothing (in theory) wrong with light wash jeans, but to hear "Well, XYZ is doing it this/last season ergo I accept and like it, too" is just so fucking laughable.

I'm totally cool with all the jean backlash (I get that they're not everyone's cup of tea), but I want to address this one comment in particular. What I meant by my original comment was that guys like Ervell have prompted people to revisit lighter washes as a viable option for SW&D. If I had posted this outfit three or four years ago, I'm pretty sure that it would have been unanimously disliked. But now that the raw/indigo bubble has burst, there are a few people on my side at least.

I'm smart enough to recognize the irony in making this statement on SF, but personally I've always liked pale blue Levis because of the IDGAF vibe they give off.
post #62792 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWorksheets View Post

If I had posted this outfit three or four years ago, I'm pretty sure that it would have been unanimously disliked. But now that the raw/indigo bubble has burst, there are a few people on my side at least.

This is exactly what's wrong with fashunz and groupthink

There was another comment a couple of days ago about TOJ and CPs being "played out". I rolled my eyes so hard they hit the back of my neck. I'd love to never have to read these two words again. So lazy
post #62793 of 117670
Thread Starter 
Them jeans are so ugly I thought Kent Money mailed his to you.
post #62794 of 117670

Isn't it a big part of fashion that things get 'played out'?  I mean, gdl, I know you go for stuff that's the opposite of trendy, but that isn't necessarily better than doing the opposite, you know?  I don't like the jeans either fwiw.

post #62795 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Isn't it a big part of fashion that things get 'played out'?

Not really. Obviously things will begin to look dated over time since tastes are rarely static, but something getting "played out" usually means something has hit a saturation point so absurd because everyone jumped aboard the same trend. See: pretty much every trend ever on SF
post #62796 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

There was another comment a couple of days ago about TOJ and CPs being "played out". I rolled my eyes so hard they hit the back of my neck. I'd love to never have to read these two words again. So lazy
As the dude who made that comment (shog[1].gif) I have to ask-- what makes it lazy? In thread that thrives off new cool shit and stagnates when that stream of new cool shit starts to run dry, it's pretty useful to be able to say "hey guys, we need more new cool shit up in here."

FWIW, if "played out" is lazy, then even lazier is the phrase "SF groupthink." You've taken a diverse slew of people and opinions and reduced them to mindless drones. Cool man.
post #62797 of 117670
wow u mad ?

I love cool new stuff as much as everyone else but the idea that something that looked good (which aesthetic qualities were high) gets cycled out simply because it's no longer new is just stupid IMO. It's lazy to just point out that something has been worn before and therefore is deemed "played out". There's no form of brain activity behind such a comment.

I'm coming at this from a different point of view as you guys, that much is pretty obvious. The fact that I'm twice your average age certainly has something to do with it. I've seen the raw/washed/raw/washed cycle twice in the last 15 years. It's funny. It sells jeans - great for the industry.
post #62798 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

I love cool new stuff as much as everyone else but the idea that something that looked good (which aesthetic qualities were high) gets cycled out simply because it's no longer new is just stupid IMO. It's lazy to just point out that something has been worn before and therefore is deemed "played out". There's no form of brain activity behind such a comment.
In an absolute sense, you're right. CP + TOJ are classic shapes that, by themselves, are great. And the idea of "new" certainly moves in cycles, with trends that could once be called "played out" reaching a sudden phase of rejuvenation.

But, as I said before, "played out" isn't a judgment of absolute aesthetic value, it's an expression of fatigue. Once a trend reaches a saturation point as Unc argues, the feeling of fatigue over that trend outweighs any classic aesthetic value that trend has.
Edited by Bam!ChairDance - 2/27/12 at 7:50am
post #62799 of 117670
double post :-/
post #62800 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

Not really. Obviously things will begin to look dated over time since tastes are rarely static, but something getting "played out" usually means something has hit a saturation point so absurd because everyone jumped aboard the same trend. See: pretty much every trend ever on SF

Yup. Part of that, I think, is that there's really only being a handful of SW&D regulars who have a strong enough sense of personal style / creativity that they don't subconciously rely on the latest SW&D-adored item or look to influence their purchases. The result is a lot of people with the same or similar items in their closet. It doesn't mean these items are all bad - a lot of them are obviously not - but they do risk backlash after a while, because really, how many times can you see pictures of or read questions about GATs before you throw your hands up?
post #62801 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance View Post

Nah I just took down your argument like a champ. smile.gif
It was a rant, not an argument. I fully appreciate that many disagree here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance View Post

But once again you ignore the factor of fatigue. Once a trend reaches a saturation point as Unc argues, the feeling of fatigue over that trend outweighs any classic aesthetic value that trend has. "Played out" isn't a judgment of absolute aesthetic value, it's as I said before an expression of fatigue.

No, I get it. We all get tired of things in our closet at some point. I still don't like that critique - it irks me wink.gif As you've probably noticed, I'm more interested in things that look good and boring, than things that look innovative and edgy without looking that great. I do appreciate that people get bored with the former and like to see edgy outfits in the thread. It's natural.
post #62802 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance View Post

In an absolute sense, you're right. CP + TOJ are classic shapes that, in an absolute sense, are great. And the idea of "new" certainly moves in cycles, with trends that could once be called "played out" reaching a sudden phase of rejuvenation.
But once again you ignore the factor of fatigue. Once a trend reaches a saturation point as Unc argues, the feeling of fatigue over that trend outweighs any classic aesthetic value that trend has.

OK but are clean sneakers and classic leather jackets really a trend? I don't see how you can become fatigued by that. I mean I guess if your only source of fashion is the WAYWT thread ...
post #62803 of 117670
Yeah I'm talking about WAYWT, not the real world, which WAYWT is not.
post #62804 of 117670
So basically you're complaining that on a fashion forum of (assumedly) similarly minded individuals, there are too many people who are adapting similar ideas and pieces. Just keep scrolling ...
post #62805 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

Just keep scrolling ...
Ah yes. The Dory approach

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread