or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 3403  

post #51031 of 117677

@FlyingMonkey

your fit is no worse nor is it better than 90% of what's posted in this thread; and. anyone who honestly believes otherwise is delusional

post #51032 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackzz View Post

@FlyingMonkey

your fit is no worse nor is it better than 90% of what's posted in this thread;


Uhm, no.
Are you thinking of the menswear forum?
post #51033 of 117677
it's fun to experiment, and I'm all for that, but since you're an academic or whatever I would think you would realize it's ok to actually learn something from an experiment instead of clinging to whatever result you anticipated.

you don't need to defend a failure, just try something new!
post #51034 of 117677

Quote:

Originally Posted by e0d9n0b5 View Post


why post if you're not willing to take ANY criticism at all? sure, people have made rude comments but they've also given you some genuine advice which is GOOD ADVICE and you just ignore it because yooouuu read free & easy and know that cuffing your jeans is all the rage so you must be extremely fashionable. since you obviously knew that your fit was amazing, why not just keep it to yourself? that way we're all happy, especially me since i won't have to see you.
And for the record i always want to spit into the mouth of anybody who wears those hats !~


Some people here seem to be afraid of discussion. I really don't mind. In fact, isn't that the point of the forum? So, for example, the issue of hemming selvedge jeans vs. rolling or folding is not a personal one, it's a general one, which is why I picked up on it. I am not saying 'my way' is better of more fashionable than other ways (people are welcome to hem their jeans, and I have some that I've had hemmed myself), all I am pointing out is that you can't make it a style rule to insist on hemming (or not hemming) and that there are publications and places from which we can all learn more about the range of possibilities, get ideas and see what different people do. Saying 'hem your jeans' is not advice, it's insisting on a doctrinaire idea of what should be.

 

And if you notice, I am polite and I thank those who are polite and generous with their advice. And I make it a point to learn from them and their criticism (see above, for example). However, I am generally rather dismissive of rude, crude, stupid, ignorant and trollish posts, and while I always give people the benefit of the doubt, I probably won't respond again to individuals who continually behave that way to me (or other people). I know that's a wild notion in an era of generalized and thoughtless cruelty and ill-manners, but hey, that's just the kind of crazy guy I am.

 

 

post #51035 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Quote:

Some people here seem to be afraid of discussion. I really don't mind. In fact, isn't that the point of the forum? So, for example, the issue of hemming selvedge jeans vs. rolling or folding is not a personal one, it's a general one, which is why I picked up on it. I am not saying 'my way' is better of more fashionable than other ways (people are welcome to hem their jeans, and I have some that I've had hemmed myself), all I am pointing out is that you can't make it a style rule to insist on hemming (or not hemming) and that there are publications and places from which we can all learn more about the range of possibilities, get ideas and see what different people do. Saying 'hem your jeans' is not advice, it's insisting on a doctrinaire idea of what should be.

 

And if you notice, I am polite and I thank those who are polite and generous with their advice. And I make it a point to learn from them and their criticism (see above, for example). However, I am generally rather dismissive of rude, crude, stupid, ignorant and trollish posts, and while I always give people the benefit of the doubt, I probably won't respond again to individuals who continually behave that way to me (or other people). I know that's a wild notion in an era of generalized and thoughtless cruelty and ill-manners, but hey, that's just the kind of crazy guy I am.

 

 


you sound so cool and interesting to be around, man.

Someday, I, too, hope to be able to interpret a suggestion as someone trying indoctrinate me.
post #51036 of 117677

there's a line in front of the fire. he's waiting for you to finish burning your new suit.

i don't get it. you spend countless hours talking/critiquing/buying style and then go to the trouble and expense of getting a mtm suit only to get that abortion as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post

Could be improved by burning the shirt.


 

post #51037 of 117677
I'd burn the cap first
post #51038 of 117677
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackzz View Post

there's a line in front of the fire. he's waiting for you to finish burning your new suit.i don't get it. you spend countless hours talking/critiquing/buying style and then go to the trouble and expense of getting a mtm suit only to get that abortion as a result.

 


Yeah it's a shame that suit didn't turn out well, at least the DB suit before it came out fine. Maybe next time I'll buy something OTR and have it tailored as a template.
post #51039 of 117677

Quote:

Originally Posted by tween_spirit View Post


you sound so cool and interesting to be around, man.
Someday, I, too, hope to be able to interpret a suggestion as someone trying indoctrinate me.


I apologise in advance because this will inevitably sound patronising, but it's probably fair enough since you are trying to be sarcastic - calling someone 'doctrinaire' does not mean that the person concerned is trying to 'indoctrinate' someone (that would indeed be silly), although the two words come from the same roots. It means that person has an inflexible attitude.

 

post #51040 of 117677
*takes a huge shit in the middle of the floor*

its okay guys, i read 'everybody poops' so i know that this is acceptable smile.gif


and for the record i like cuffed jeans vOv
post #51041 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Quote:

I apologise in advance because this will inevitably sound patronising, but it's probably fair enough since you are trying to be sarcastic - calling something 'doctrinaire' does not mean that the person concerned is trying to 'indoctrinate' someone (that would indeed be silly), although the two words come from the same roots. It means that person has an inflexible attitude.

 


I realize that, I was mirroring what you did by taking what you said and pushing it to the nth degree to make my point. Essentially trying to invalidate your point by making the same one in the context of a rebuttal that also mirrored yours facepalm.gif
post #51042 of 117677

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBobo View Post

FlyingMonkey
The HUGE problem is the shirt. Otherwise it could work. I like the cardigan, tie, jeans, boots are allright. The shirt however clashes violently with it all. Think blue oxford, chambray or spread collar. Whatever, as long as its plain. You should also consider loosing either the tie or the cap. It looks "too much".


Thank-you, yes. I agree 100%.

post #51043 of 117677
Shirt is ugly, cardigan is ugly, tie is wide for jeans. Tie doesn't belong with the massive cuffs, shirt doesn't go with the tie, cardigan doesn't go with anything. Jeans and boots are fine together. Teger is right, as well - that flat cap ought to be reserved for Man of Kent.

Unfortunately, these are indisputable medical facts, much in the same way that it is universally accepted that AC/DC's "For Those About to Rock" is one of the greatest songs of all time. If you traded out the shirt for an oxford and the cardigan for a tweed or rumpled wool coat, you'd probably look a lot better, more like a Japanophile (Asianphile? Asiatophile? Pedophile?) professor, and less like someone who is probably colorblind. Think about these things, and ask yourself if those who are about to rock would salute you. The answer, in this case, is no.
post #51044 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Quote:

Thanks for the polite critique. As I said in the disclaimer the photo makes the cardigan look pinkish, it's really not. And there's no burgundy anywhere. But I do agree that this one is overdone. Overly costumed. The shirt may or may not have its place, but it certainly isn't with this cardigan (which BTW, I would normally wear much more simply with a dark T and never with any kind of tie). There was a certain experimental notion behind it. I'm trying to play with doing things you're not supposed to with colour and pattern right now. And also with brightness in a context which traditinally would have been drab. It didn't work. Failure is a good teacher. So back to the drawing board!

 


Here's the thing... you need to learn conventions before you can break them. A fit that's just built around "things you're not supposed to [do]" looks ridiculous. Clothing is communication. Nobody knows what they are looking at... there's no way the eye is led through the fit. Apparently the color is completely off in the pics, which doesn't help. Putting together an outfit isn't like dressing for "opposite day," you and your attitude have to match your clothes. Otherwise you fail in "pulling it off."
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Quote:

I apologise in advance because this will inevitably sound patronising


Yes, this is the other problem shog[1].gif
post #51045 of 117677
Ugh. Sometimes I come to SF to get AWAY from academia. I like to keep my lecture voice and everything that goes with it in my leture halls. You should try it, FLyingMonkey; you might enjoy it. You are here for critiques, are you not? I would suggest that you open your mind and ears, and stop defending your fits. Just listen! You are the student here, not the professor. FWIW, I think you should donate the shirt. It really is a horrible color combination. Perhaps you should be working on your basics and then start playing with colors etc. once you have a solid boring base upon which to build, no?

Edit: Maybe find someone you know or someone on SW&D/MC to mimic. That way, you have a clear, defined goal to work toward as well as a model you can follow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread