or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 2244

post #33646 of 115991
tommy, it looks like you wrote that in blood
post #33647 of 115991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncontrol View Post
tommy, it looks like you wrote that in blood

my coworkers just asked who you killed to send that valentine
post #33648 of 115991
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post
This is another thing, I often think you stay in your comfort zone (idiosyncratic comfort zone but no less a comfort zone for that) and just say things like this as some sort of defense mechanism. No one can really criticize you for being tacky, gaudy, over the top or tasteless or other things that have been hurled in your direction for fits over time because "yeah I know it is, that's why I like it". Ie, there's a certain confidence to be gained from knowing that, no matter what you put on, how you dress is so far out of step with any recognizable aesthetic that no one has a frame of reference to be able to say you're doing it right or wrong. In light of which I have this occasional, cynical suspicion that you're unwilling to try other stuff not because you don't want to but because it's actually possible to do them badly. But this time I actually am making assumptions and attributing things to you that may be false, it's just how responses like this come off to me.

I am not really trying to convince you to do anything because time has shown that to be pretty much futile, I just think you could probably be doing more and I imagine it would be rewarding, not just for people like me who like to see interesting fits in here but probably for you too.

I actually don't disagree that I have a comfort zone I like to stay inside of. It's not so much I am scared of doing things badly as it is that I know what I like here, and I'm worried to spend a lot of money on an aesthetic that I may end up not liking. So, if I naturally become so interested in moving in a different direction that I don't mind laying down cash for Ann D or whatever, cool. But I'm not there right now. I'd rather keep buying things that I know I like and can build on/work into my wardrobe.

Thanks for the discussion, it was interesting.
post #33649 of 115991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totino View Post
Thanks for the comment. What would you recommend for pants?

If you're after something to fit with the top half of your fit try some slim fit flannels or chinos. Uniqlo?
post #33650 of 115991
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicelynice View Post
my coworkers just asked who you killed to send that valentine

post #33651 of 115991
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.m View Post
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Junya Watanabe
Woolrich Woolen Mills
Thom Browne
Edward Tee
Oliver Spencer
Qlo
Duckie Brown for Florsheim



Just got back from the bar, shotgunning beers with clopek and homi29 all night.

dope. love the contrast added by the socks.
post #33652 of 115991
Quote:
Originally Posted by URALLMORONS View Post
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Ebbetts Field Whalers Cap(No vis) RRL Chamois Rag & Bone Thermal Tanner Goods Belt RRL Officer Chino Yuketen Cerise Maine Guide Boots
Looks good dude. How are the Ebbets Field caps? Considering one for summer
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.m View Post
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Junya Watanabe Woolrich Woolen Mills Thom Browne Edward Tee Oliver Spencer Qlo Duckie Brown for Florsheim Just got back from the bar, shotgunning beers with clopek and homi29 all night.
Good too. Like orange socks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncontrol View Post
tommy, it looks like you wrote that in blood
My first thought too. Agree or disagree with him, Fuuma improves this thread immensely. Would rather read his arguments against preppy / timeless style than see more poorly shot bad fit pics.
post #33653 of 115991
Quote:
Originally Posted by e0d9n0b5 View Post
Woo swag scott

yo post some fits!!




rick
aa
rick
lanvin
n. hoolywood chuck taylors (no vis)

was thinking of selling the intarsia to finance the ccp derbies I just bought since i havent worn it this year at all, but still love how easy it is to wear
post #33654 of 115991
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782 View Post
Agree or disagree with him, Fuuma improves this thread immensely. Would rather read his arguments against preppy / timeless style than see more poorly shot bad fit pics.

Hear hear. Though I disagree with Fuuma that prep/trad has been creatively exhausted. I think he's right that the genre's overly dependent on color/fabric because of inherent limits on silhouette and broad detailing but I don't think designers have gone far enough with the former. There's still no one that I can think of that has done really rich/deep colored and textured fabric or tech fabric w/ prep/trad - everyone is too hung up on 'heritage' shit. Ervell, Schneider and Geller, at times, probably get closest to what i'm talking about. Pieces here and there from Creep and APC too, but nothing cohesive as a brand or even a season.
post #33655 of 115991
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPantser View Post
Hear hear. Though I disagree with Fuuma that prep/trad has been creatively exhausted. I think he's right that the genre's overly dependent on color/fabric because of inherent limits on silhouette and broad detailing but I don't think designers have gone far enough with the former. There's still no one that I can think of that has done really rich/deep colored and textured fabric or tech fabric w/ prep/trad - everyone is too hung up on 'heritage' shit. Ervell, Schneider and Geller, at times, probably get closest to what i'm talking about. Pieces here and there from Creep and APC too, but nothing cohesive as a brand or even a season.
i like this comment- not that i know anything about prep/trad or wear it but because it's an engagement with the clothing rather than a deployment of quasi-philosophical/artistic discourse. im glad fuuma posts here but a lot of his comments seem unhelpful to me, in the same way that film theory is not generally a helpful way to talk about film.
post #33656 of 115991
I think Fuuma has me on ignore but i'm going to make this point anyway. I think Fuuma is a little bit too dismissive in his denigration of prep style. The idea of an aspirational style with "old money" connotations is not nearly as problematic. precisely due to the democratic nature of clothing--it's not just old money date-rapist fratty douchebags who wear Polo/Tommy hilfinger, etc, it's anyone with aspirations to a higher socioeconomic standing. For better or for worse, the highest levels of socioeconomic success in american culture are old-money WASPs, and as such, any aspirational style is going to reference them. Of course, my reasoning is heavily influenced by an article about polo and hip hop, but it should be noted that Ralph Lauren was a cultural outsider with apsirational motivations. Of course, the criticism of formalistic limitation can also apply to a lot of Goth-Ninja brands that ignore color completely. In fact, it is precisely color that makes prep style so engaging--people can adopt a color palette based on their specific spin on the prep style (See Andre 3000 vs. GQ Yuppie prep qua officewear vs. TOMMY/BoO brightly colored hipster prep vs. old school Pastel/WASPY prep) I think this whole discussion deserves its own thread IMO
post #33657 of 115991
Eh, I think you're being a little simplistic. Fuuma didn't say prep is always bad no matter what. Also, "goth-ninja" utilizes color, the palette is just greatly narrowed and mostly revolves around shades and tones rather than contrast and complimentary colors. I think Fuuma said he doesn't find colorplay a compelling enough argument for the typical strain of prep, which I think is true. I don't find your examples very diverse or interesting, in fact the only one that is compelling at all to me is BOO, and really only some looks. Andre is just too gaudy/hypebeasty to me, everything else is trite, sleep inducing, annoying etc. EDIT: I agree with what PP said earlier though, a more sophisticated trad/prep thing that really works with color and texture in a strong way would be nice to see. But then again anything strong/sophisticated would be nice to see. lol
post #33658 of 115991
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty View Post
it's anyone with aspirations to a higher socioeconomic standing. For better or for worse, the highest levels of socioeconomic success in american culture are old-money WASPs, and as such, any aspirational style is going to reference them.



Forget this anthropologist BS. Ignore the 'science' for a sec and the foregone conclusion that aspirational people can't help but dress 'aspirationally'. How much more interesting would society look if we outlawed parroting entrenched wealth? (not that I do this all that well myself, but I also don't defend mediocrity on the grounds that people can't help themselves)

We're enthusiasts of appearance, I would hope the least that we do is to imagine the aesthetic world the way we want to see it and then celebrate anything that gets us closer to that. If all you can imagine is celebrity style or pure 'heritage', god help you.
post #33659 of 115991
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace View Post
Eh, I think you're being a little simplistic. Fuuma didn't say prep is always bad no matter what. Also, "goth-ninja" utilizes color, the palette is just greatly narrowed and mostly revolves around shades and tones rather than contrast and complimentary colors.

thank you, hate this stupid ignorance
post #33660 of 115991
Listen. you can dress up in ann d and spout postmodernist queer theory all you want but people are still going to look to reference established hierarchies as a barometer of their social standing. The idea that aspirationalism isn't a legitimate motivatior for a style of dress is absurd. In fact, it taps into the same bullshit about the "soul" or whatever SZ people like to talk about, except it's more real. Prep and Heritage clothing are both reifications of concepts that resonate with large numbers of people, hence their popularity. Just because a person doesn't want to look like a Fremen/post-apocalptic survivor/neo-bohemian doesn't mean they can't engage in the "reified idea" aspect of fashion. Just because some losers like chino guy are "style not fashion" morons, that doesn't mean that all people who like heritage are 'doing it wrong'. Just in the same way that fratty douchebags like prep doesn't mean that prep is an illegitimate style. Put another way, if fashion is dungeons and dragons, that's like saying you can only be a magic using class and all other classes are worthless.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread