or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 2235  

post #33511 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisDB9 View Post
You have a pandas head....on your head. Whats not to understand? I really am curious is it cause of what it stands for..the way it's advertised everywhere...?

- Preppy style rarely does anything new. It's all about fetishizing old J Press catalogs and photographs of JFK on vacation. The cuts and colors cycle over time, but nothing ever really engages the brain. I can't stand anything too clean or safe aesthetically (except maybe Sinatra and Samuel Barber's string pieces), so I don't like looking at a style that's all cleanliness and safety.

- Preppy style celebrates white privilege. There are shoes that you can wear on your boat, loafers to relax in, polos and cotton sweaters for tennis. Photo shoots occur in front of walls of ivy or on actual boats. All fashion is aspirational, really, but I think a prep lifestyle is a pretty awful thing to aspire to.

I don't know what fuuma's grievances are.
post #33512 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncontrol View Post
that said, i don't take criticism to heart when it comes from boo/apc/clarks dudes. but there's not many of them here (anymore)

You might be missing out on some reasonable criticism. What I want to wear and/or what I appreciate others wearing is very far from what I can get away with wearing on a daily basis, because of profession, income, age, hair color, body type, etc. I understand there's enough noise going on here (let alone out there in the non-internet world), that the handful of reasonable comments that might be filtered out with the bad are more than worth losing for the aggregate reduction in hassle. That's your choice, of course. I just think you're much more of an aesthetic insider on styleforum (those hideous pink glasses notwithstanding), than you seem to admit - DBBS sneakers, for instance.

Overall this board has become much more open to a formerly polarizing poster like Uncontrol (whose fits have improved in the past two years, btw) than to the BoO/raw jeans/clarks db crowd, who are ignored or castigated for their lack of imagination or dearth of swag or general plebian poverty in the face of the handful of Alexander McQueen, Patrick Ervell, Lanvin and Burberry Prorsum, or obscure (and/or bankrupt) avante-garde Japanese designer copping late-20 and early-30 something professionals that populate this forum. Clarks Douche-boots have become a convenient strawman on Styleforum - look at Fuuma raging against the passe stereotype of the Steve McQueen "timeless style" jock-rider - when even the hardcore work-wearers like Adamha, zissou, salean, et. al. bring open minds, good taste, and an impressive aesthetic commitment to the forum.

But, yeah, if guys wear shoes you find ugly, then by all means don't listen to their opinions.
post #33513 of 117670
Most casual styles these days are some kind of relative of english/American prep style. Remove them from history and see what remains.
I'm back to being a big fan of prep style fwiw.
post #33514 of 117670
Humperdink, it's not about not listening to people who have styles that differ from me; fwiw I think zissou is awesome and his feedback is always enjoyed. It's more like I'm not interested in the feedback of people who treat being stylish as a checklist.
post #33515 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisDB9 View Post
You have a pandas head....on your head. Whats not to understand? I really am curious is it cause of what it stands for..the way it's advertised everywhere...?

Even teen movies know that is what mediocre douchebags wear. It's an empty, unimaginative and stagnant aesthetic AND the mark of a date rapist, what's not to love? I don't stand for any philosophy that affirms "it is what it is"; if you're not at least a little bit revolted that things are what they are right now you can jump of a bridge, this should make things at least infinitesimally better for everyone else.
post #33516 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humperdink View Post
You might be missing out on some reasonable criticism. What I want to wear and/or what I appreciate others wearing is very far from what I can get away with wearing on a daily basis, because of profession, income, age, hair color, body type, etc. I understand there's enough noise going on here (let alone out there in the non-internet world), that the handful of reasonable comments that might be filtered out with the bad are more than worth losing for the aggregate reduction in hassle. That's your choice, of course. I just think you're much more of an aesthetic insider on styleforum (those hideous pink glasses notwithstanding), than you seem to admit - DBBS sneakers, for instance.

Overall this board has become much more open to a formerly polarizing poster like Uncontrol (whose fits have improved in the past two years, btw) than to the BoO/raw jeans/clarks db crowd, who are ignored or castigated for their lack of imagination or dearth of swag or general plebian poverty in the face of the handful of Alexander McQueen, Patrick Ervell, Lanvin and Burberry Prorsum, or obscure (and/or bankrupt) avante-garde Japanese designer copping late-20 and early-30 something professionals that populate this forum. Clarks Douche-boots have become a convenient strawman on Styleforum - look at Fuuma raging against the passe stereotype of the Steve McQueen "timeless style" jock-rider - when even the hardcore work-wearers like Adamha, zissou, salean, et. al. bring open minds, good taste, and an impressive aesthetic commitment to the forum.

But, yeah, if guys wear shoes you find ugly, then by all means don't listen to their opinions.

I like some workwear and heritage outfit, I just can't stand the onslaught of pontificating about timelessness many of them brought on the board. It is stifling any kind of meaningful discussion, people so afraid to "fail at dressing" simply don't have what it takes to discuss it. Zissou orwhatever are allright btw, its just the voices of "style not fashion" should be perma-banned.
post #33517 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
Even teen movies know that is what mediocre douchebags wear. It's an empty, unimaginative and stagnant aesthetic AND the mark of a date rapist, what's not to love? I don't stand for any philosophy that affirms "it is what it is"; if you're not at least a little bit revolted that things are what they are right now you can jump of a bridge, this should make things at least infinitesimally better for everyone else.

It can be stagnant or it can be dynamic. I think part of it's theme is that it is a sort of traditional old money uniform, but look at places like unabashedly prep and streetetiqitte. Do you think they are unaginative? Do you consider yourself counterculture?
post #33518 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bows1 View Post

What's she wearing?
post #33519 of 117670
So retarded to think that if you're not throwing rocks at the establishment you're not worth listening to.
post #33520 of 117670
Happy birthday, MoK. Looks really great.
post #33521 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
Even teen movies know that is what mediocre douchebags wear. It's an empty, unimaginative and stagnant aesthetic AND the mark of a date rapist, what's not to love? I don't stand for any philosophy that affirms "it is what it is"; if you're not at least a little bit revolted that things are what they are right now you can jump of a bridge, this should make things at least infinitesimally better for everyone else.

To be honest, arent you doing the exact same thing as all the things you expect to hear from a preppy wearing person? You are without a doubt an intelligent person so why all this?
post #33522 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
Even teen movies know that is what mediocre douchebags wear. It's an empty, unimaginative and stagnant aesthetic AND the mark of a date rapist, what's not to love? I don't stand for any philosophy that affirms "it is what it is"; if you're not at least a little bit revolted that things are what they are right now you can jump of a bridge, this should make things at least infinitesimally better for everyone else.

What you didn't like the bad guy in Karate Kid or something? Date Rapist....waaa?. The all black wearing thing would be more akin to that. No disrespect (although you need to put down the thesaurus) intended but it's a style like everyone else's here. I don't understand the hate towards it. I am far from preppy but I still incorporate pieces of it in my wardrobe
post #33523 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
its just the voices of "style not fashion" should be perma-banned.


It comes from insecurity, mainly the fact that they are a male interesting in dressing well. Oh my, will they think im gay if I put this on? Whatever will I do!
post #33524 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHansen View Post
To be honest, arent you doing the exact same thing as all the things you expect to hear from a preppy wearing person? You are without a doubt an intelligent person so why all this?

"I know that I know nothing," etc.
post #33525 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPantser View Post
weekend lifestyle pic


ymc, jcrew, levis, alden

Yes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread