Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 9/19/16 at 4:41pm in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where should the points on my shirt collar lie in relation to my...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 6946post #104176 of 11766611/1/13 at 9:23ampost #104177 of 11766611/1/13 at 9:35amsince nobody else said anything... I'll take a crack at it. Don't take this too personally....
Hat - Swap out glasses for contacts / don't wear if you're also wearing that hat. Hat + glasses looks pretty dorky. And also, for now, I'd even just say put the hat aside because it's too MC lite if you're going for basic SW&D. Look at the rustic/rural fits that Man of Kent posts, or TTO's country elements in city fits, and then see how to work that sort of item in.
cardigan - looks ok, so that's a start. Keep that and work from there.
Tshirt - right idea but color says summer and cardigan says fall (ie it's too bright). Put it away in your summer pile for now and swap it out for a simple fitted black/white/grey plain one.
Jeans - are meh. Generic looking fit and styling. Could be worse, but could also be better. Jeans are a core piece for SW&D (puts on flamesuit) so this is one item where it's like a suit to MC. It's one of the most intricate garments and each cut works with different body types so it takes a while of trying on many many makers/models but in the end it's worth it. Like a suit that fits well, people will know it fits you well, you'll know why.
Socks - say business, rest of fit says casual. Swap out for plain black/grey etc. Fancy socks is so MC because the rest of the fit besides a tie/PS is usually boring. Sock fun is pointless in SW&D because there's so much other stuff to work with.
Scarf 'knot' is try hard. Either wrap it or drape it, not both. And also scarf with shawl cardigan is too much going on at your neck/chest area.
Shoes - eh, mixed thoughts. On the one hand are pretty "high school", especially if you're looking to up your game. Baller shoes, like jeans, are becoming one of the core elements to the SW&D look. Even basics like Clarks Desert Boots (hello 2007!), or basic Chucks/Purcels, or Quoddy/Sperry boat shoes, or Common Projects / Butteros / Svensons, etc whatever the look is you're going for, would be a bit step up from something like Vans or whatever.
Lastly, color - even if some of the items were the right idea, there's no harmony. Just look at your color palette... (beige, bright blue, black, navy, white, etc. it's all over the place). SW&D often goes monotone because you can better appreciate the fit and fabric. In some ways like MC. Loud patterns are a cheap attention getter. Good fit is more sophisticated.
So rework it with no hat or scarf. Swap tshirt for plain white, and plain socks. Start there. Then upgrade shoes and jeans.post #104178 of 11766611/1/13 at 9:41am
Great stuff! I'm sorry to say that I cannot wear contacts, they irritate my eyes too much. Other than that, if I ever venture into SW&D again (if I'm feeling like a good drubbing) then I will certainly take this advise. In the mean time I will probably lurk moar, and stick with the CM side of the house until I am more confident doing this SW&D thing outside of a CM challenge!post #104179 of 11766611/1/13 at 9:44amQuote:
Shoulda gotten a shot of you at night in a parking lot smoking, would lead to 267 thumbs.Quote:Originally Posted by conceptual 4est
WELCOME TO FLAVORTOWN
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Sorry to hear how your night ended uppost #104180 of 11766611/1/13 at 9:53amQuote:
Show 'em how it's done, boss!
So, I just bought that exact same cardigan partially because you seem to like yours a lot (I mean, so does everyone apparently). I wanted one last year, then opted for an Inverallan because I love shawl collars - sized that wrong, though, so now I have another navy cardigan being sent to me. Hopefully I like it. I just want everything to be cozy.
Nice fit, by the way - I think you should look into some more RRL stuff, actually. And maybe try an olive for the pants next time?
I'm also considering raiding yoox in an effort to turn myself into a brown-haired Parker. The temptation is strong.post #104181 of 11766611/1/13 at 10:03ampost #104182 of 11766611/1/13 at 10:23amQuote:
i think snow would look good in those v ave pants i have, curious to hear what he thinks
also peds rotation is such a pleasant experience, everyone is so nice!post #104183 of 11766611/1/13 at 10:39ampost #104184 of 11766611/1/13 at 10:46ampost #104185 of 11766611/1/13 at 10:48ampost #104186 of 11766611/1/13 at 10:50am
I mostly agree. but I like the shoes, though maybe not with such an otherwise-clean outfit. My short advice (since Master Classter's explanations explain most of what I recommend): lose the hat, change the shirt t shirt color, put on some beat up jeans. Thanks for coming over to SW&D, Caustic Man.post #104187 of 11766611/1/13 at 10:57ampost #104188 of 11766611/1/13 at 10:59amQuote:Originally Posted by ghdvfddzgzdzg
I mostly agree. but I like the shoes, though maybe not with such an otherwise-clean outfit. My short advice (since Master Classter's explanations explain most of what I recommend): lose the hat, change the shirt t shirt color, put on some beat up jeans. Thanks for coming over to SW&D, Caustic Man.
Thanks for the advise! I see the hat and shirt are universally disliked. That's a good place for me to start! I hate to say it, but since I am a CM dude, that is one of maybe 3 t shirts I own! And the others have sports logos on them. Lolpost #104189 of 11766611/1/13 at 11:02ampost #104190 of 11766611/1/13 at 11:08am
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 41 seconds ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 42 seconds ago
- › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Black Mirror - The most unique/bizarre/weird show to come along in... 2 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) 2 minutes ago
- › The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › 5th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...