Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 7/16/15 at 4:16pm in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...
Last edited: 3/30/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 6782post #101716 of 1176689/23/13 at 4:52pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #101717 of 1176689/23/13 at 5:59pmpost #101718 of 1176689/23/13 at 6:31pmpost #101719 of 1176689/23/13 at 6:48pmpost #101720 of 1176689/23/13 at 7:12pmpost #101721 of 1176689/23/13 at 7:17pm
On a pattern like this, by daylight, there is a lack of sequence, a defiance of law, that is a constant irritant to a normal mind.
The color is hideous enough, and unreliable enough, and infuriating enough, but the pattern is torturing.
It is the strangest yellow, that wall-paper! It makes me think of all the yellow things I ever saw--not beautiful ones like buttercups, but old foul, bad yellow things.post #101722 of 1176689/23/13 at 7:50pmpost #101723 of 1176689/23/13 at 11:25pmpost #101724 of 1176689/23/13 at 11:56pmBest cola bear fit!Quote:
SHORT BOOK TALK:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Earlier, someone (Synthese?) asked how I could resist The Yellow Wallpaper. The short answer is it's too didactic. Too planned. Despite the intriguing premise (one I happen to love, hence the frustration) it seems to know right where it's going from the beginning. It has a social target in mind, and it hits it. Bluntly.
I mean, I like Gilman, the author. She was ahead of her time in many ways; an economist, an intellectual, a rabble-rouser, a firebrand -- but not really an artist. Compared to say, Kate Chopin, her contemporary, it's easy to see why work like The Awakening is still everywhere, while The Yellow Wallpaper mostly rounds out nonfiction feminist anthologies.
If you wanted to step outside the story itself and complicate things further, there is always the fact that Gilman was essentially a white supremacist, her lofty goals for women somehow never informing her views on racial equality. That bothers me.
Kudos to AFL for absolutely nailing the best passage of the story, though. If the whole were written with that kind of verve and sophistication, I would love it despite its flaws.post #101725 of 1176689/24/13 at 3:43amQuote:
The epaulets pretty much look like fatigues, ogs? Not sure about slim cargo, it had just worked in the past. Sticking with what I know is why I look like someone who was passably cool 30 years ago, though.post #101726 of 1176689/24/13 at 5:25ampost #101727 of 1176689/24/13 at 5:41ampost #101728 of 1176689/24/13 at 5:56ampost #101729 of 1176689/24/13 at 6:03ampost #101730 of 1176689/24/13 at 7:04am
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What I Learned from Slim Denim
Currently, there are 954 Active Users (137 Members and 817 Guests)
- › Recent purchases - Part II 35 seconds ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 58 seconds ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › *** Visvim thread: Dissertation on a Japanese Holy Spirit *** 12 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 13 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 16 minutes ago
- › Henry Carter Neckwear & Accessories: Official affiliate thread 22 minutes ago
- › Our Legacy 23 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...