Edited by Superb0bo - 9/2/13 at 3:57am
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 2/5/16 at 9:34am in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?
Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 12/9/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 6720post #100786 of 1176669/1/13 at 11:31am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #100787 of 1176669/1/13 at 12:30pmpost #100788 of 1176669/1/13 at 12:40pmpost #100789 of 1176669/1/13 at 12:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by fuji
Kind of strange when someone who just joined this month knows what your degree is, but I think this would be quite hard. I wouldn't assume the weight and height of members here are normally distributed. The left tail of the distribution is probably very heavy, there seems to be a lot of very short members and very thin members so it would probably look like chi squared distribution, but it obvs wouldn't be because we aren't just a bunch of squared normal results. Having created a formula for this distribution, doing the necessary integration and creating estimators for the parameters we could create some confidence intervals for the mean height and weight. I'd rather create a multivariate linear regression to estimate an SF members weight based on their height and the size of items of clothes they've bought and sold and if they lift. We may have to use some time series for how long ago they bought the clothes. We could probably get an R value of like 0.8.
I think Superbobo has like a masters or Phd in stats so he'd probably be better at this.
you're drunk (or posing) if you think you'd get an R(squared) of .8 from any 'natural' data set.post #100790 of 1176669/1/13 at 12:58pmQuote:
The post is a joke, I don't think anyone here is creating a linear regression model on sf members height and weight. I just put a random number in, apologies for not using realistic numbers for my theoretical regression model. Please if you would like to go ahead and write in a more realistic number go ahead.post #100791 of 1176669/1/13 at 1:09pmah, fair enough...given the model you specified, weight as y, height and clothes size as x, think something in the range of .2 would even be optimistic. likely lots of error as well (ie, big confidence intervals around coefficient estimates).post #100792 of 1176669/1/13 at 1:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by ropseau2
I don't think fuji is wrong, actually. I think R^2 of .8 is quite reasonable, given how homogeneous the styleforum population is in terms of weight and height. I am assuming Mr Moo (an outlier way out in the right tail) is removed though.
fuji's first approach to create unbiased estimators is quite reasonable. I wouldn't a priori assume a distribution Chi^2 distribution. I would treat it as a gamma distribution, and do what fuji says.
lol, what? distribution of the dependent variable doesn't matter provided they're IID and the errors are assumed (and checked) to be normal.Quote:Originally Posted by ropseau2
Well, clothes size is a different issue altogether. We may safely assume 99.9999999% try to squeeze themselves into XS or S, no matter what their height and weight.
Take Reedobandito, for example. height 5'10", or thereaobuts. Weight 160lb +/- 20lb, if I read his posts correctly.
Then there's Mr Moo! Height 5'5", or therebouts. Weight 295 lb, by his own admission last Tuesday!
There will be absolutely no correlation between weight and clothing size!
I would be far more concerned about reporting error (a systematic bias in the sampling), because of Styleforum members consistently underreporting their weight and clothes size.post #100793 of 1176669/1/13 at 1:32pmpost #100794 of 1176669/1/13 at 1:34pmpost #100795 of 1176669/1/13 at 1:47pmpost #100796 of 1176669/1/13 at 2:54pm
in order to get this thread back on track and flaming people for dressing poorly instead of whatever the hell is going on now, I am going to post an mc fit with "slippers" so you all can get back to doing what you do best
x-postpost #100797 of 1176669/1/13 at 3:04pmpost #100798 of 1176669/1/13 at 3:10pmpost #100799 of 1176669/1/13 at 3:13pmi actually really like the fit of everything, but yeah not feeling the footwear.
also, since this is a weekend and no one's telling you what to do, I'd either go all out and rock a textured tie or lose the shirt and ps and don a tee for dat SWD uniform look. your current look is pretty good but lacking in punch nameen
edit: wait, are those jeans? aiiight definitely go with a tee unless you're more of a serious chap, in which case carry on with the current lookpost #100800 of 1176669/1/13 at 3:16pmChallenged myself to wear blue jeans. Further challenged myself to wear boots with them instead of sneakers. Haha.
And yes I tried not cuffing and it looked bad so I don't wanna hear it
Also fit pic of dip dye sized up 2 that someone asked to see in the Geller thread
(was spoilered since I just posted a dip dye last week but ah fuck it)
Edited by melonadejello - 9/1/13 at 3:37pm
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?
Currently, there are 1481 Active Users (354 Members and 1127 Guests)
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 1 minute ago
- › ***Story Et Fall Thread*** 3 minutes ago
- › What music are you listening to lately? 4 minutes ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 5 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 6 minutes ago
- › is it ok to wear short sleeve shirts? 6 minutes ago
- › What are you reading? 8 minutes ago
- › NWT: Ralph Lauren Purple Label Polos MSRP $325 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...