Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 3/13/15 at 2:34am in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...
Last edited: 3/30/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 6720post #100786 of 1176689/1/13 at 11:06am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #100787 of 1176689/1/13 at 11:16ampost #100788 of 1176689/1/13 at 11:31ampost #100789 of 1176689/1/13 at 12:30pmpost #100790 of 1176689/1/13 at 12:40pmpost #100791 of 1176689/1/13 at 12:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by fuji
Kind of strange when someone who just joined this month knows what your degree is, but I think this would be quite hard. I wouldn't assume the weight and height of members here are normally distributed. The left tail of the distribution is probably very heavy, there seems to be a lot of very short members and very thin members so it would probably look like chi squared distribution, but it obvs wouldn't be because we aren't just a bunch of squared normal results. Having created a formula for this distribution, doing the necessary integration and creating estimators for the parameters we could create some confidence intervals for the mean height and weight. I'd rather create a multivariate linear regression to estimate an SF members weight based on their height and the size of items of clothes they've bought and sold and if they lift. We may have to use some time series for how long ago they bought the clothes. We could probably get an R value of like 0.8.
I think Superbobo has like a masters or Phd in stats so he'd probably be better at this.
you're drunk (or posing) if you think you'd get an R(squared) of .8 from any 'natural' data set.post #100792 of 1176689/1/13 at 12:58pmQuote:
The post is a joke, I don't think anyone here is creating a linear regression model on sf members height and weight. I just put a random number in, apologies for not using realistic numbers for my theoretical regression model. Please if you would like to go ahead and write in a more realistic number go ahead.post #100793 of 1176689/1/13 at 1:09pmah, fair enough...given the model you specified, weight as y, height and clothes size as x, think something in the range of .2 would even be optimistic. likely lots of error as well (ie, big confidence intervals around coefficient estimates).post #100794 of 1176689/1/13 at 1:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by ropseau2
I don't think fuji is wrong, actually. I think R^2 of .8 is quite reasonable, given how homogeneous the styleforum population is in terms of weight and height. I am assuming Mr Moo (an outlier way out in the right tail) is removed though.
fuji's first approach to create unbiased estimators is quite reasonable. I wouldn't a priori assume a distribution Chi^2 distribution. I would treat it as a gamma distribution, and do what fuji says.
lol, what? distribution of the dependent variable doesn't matter provided they're IID and the errors are assumed (and checked) to be normal.Quote:Originally Posted by ropseau2
Well, clothes size is a different issue altogether. We may safely assume 99.9999999% try to squeeze themselves into XS or S, no matter what their height and weight.
Take Reedobandito, for example. height 5'10", or thereaobuts. Weight 160lb +/- 20lb, if I read his posts correctly.
Then there's Mr Moo! Height 5'5", or therebouts. Weight 295 lb, by his own admission last Tuesday!
There will be absolutely no correlation between weight and clothing size!
I would be far more concerned about reporting error (a systematic bias in the sampling), because of Styleforum members consistently underreporting their weight and clothes size.post #100795 of 1176689/1/13 at 1:32pmpost #100796 of 1176689/1/13 at 1:34pmpost #100797 of 1176689/1/13 at 1:47pmpost #100798 of 1176689/1/13 at 2:54pm
in order to get this thread back on track and flaming people for dressing poorly instead of whatever the hell is going on now, I am going to post an mc fit with "slippers" so you all can get back to doing what you do best
x-postpost #100799 of 1176689/1/13 at 3:04pm
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
- What I Learned from Slim Denim
Currently, there are 1775 Active Users (384 Members and 1391 Guests)
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 40 seconds ago
- › Herschel Supply Co Settlement Black Backpack 46 seconds ago
- › Del Toro Black Boxing Sneaker sz 10 43 2 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Cap Toe boot 8 Grant last BNIB 3 minutes ago
- › Offical Barbour Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Architecture Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Motorcycles 4 minutes ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...