or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Another ebay etiquette question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another ebay etiquette question

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
OK, so I just bought this Tumi garment bag off of ebay. The $25 shipping seemed high, so I kept my bid low. At the end of the auction I emailed the seller asking if he could ship USPS instead of UPS, and if the cost would be the same. He answered yes to both so I paid through paypal. This all happened over the last two days.

Today I get an email from him that shipping is an extra $14 because it's going to an overseas address. As some here may know, the APO system is set up specifically so that military members do not have to pay for overseas mail. My zip code is actually in NYC--very firmly within the parameters of "Will ship to United States." I sent a very polite email in return explaining the situation and that he could even include 'NY' in my address, to emphasize to the postal workers that he does not have to pay overseas shipping. I added that I would take him at his word that shipping would be the same cost.

At this point it is not yet a bad situation, but I sense that it is developing in that direction. I will keep the board informed, but I am not optimistic. I did get a reasonable deal, but am unwilling to pay the extra money on principle.

Any opinions?
Thanks
Tom
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02
OK, so I just bought this Tumi garment bag off of ebay. The $25 shipping seemed high, so I kept my bid low. At the end of the auction I emailed the seller asking if he could ship USPS instead of UPS, and if the cost would be the same. He answered yes to both so I paid through paypal. This all happened over the last two days.

Today I get an email from him that shipping is an extra $14 because it's going to an overseas address. As some here may know, the APO system is set up specifically so that military members do not have to pay for overseas mail. My zip code is actually in NYC--very firmly within the parameters of "Will ship to United States." I sent a very polite email in return explaining the situation and that he could even include 'NY' in my address, to emphasize to the postal workers that he does not have to pay overseas shipping. I added that I would take him at his word that shipping would be the same cost.

At this point it is not yet a bad situation, but I sense that it is developing in that direction. I will keep the board informed, but I am not optimistic. I did get a reasonable deal, but am unwilling to pay the extra money on principle.

Any opinions?
Thanks
Tom

Strange. Actually, I remember sending some PC component to someone who was using an APO address and the USPS made me fill out the customs forms and I paid a little more. I am trying to find some references on the USPS site but no luck yet.
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Addressing Military Mail 2.2.1 Overseas Address Overseas military addresses must conform to domestic addressing standards. The delivery line (the second line from the bottom in the address) must show the ship name, unit number, CMR or PSC number, and box number if assigned. The last line must contain the APO and FPO designation and the appropriate two-letter "state" abbreviation (AA, AE, or AP), followed by the ZIP+4 or 5-digit ZIP Code. AA, AE, and AP are used for addresses with the 3-digit ZIP Code prefixes 340, 090-098, and 962-966, respectively. In addition: a. Mail addressed to Army personnel must show full name, including first name and middle name or initial, and unit number. b. Mail addressed to Air Force personnel must show full name, including first name and middle name or initial, and PSC or unit number. c. Mail addressed to Navy and Marine Corps personnel must show full name, including first name and middle name or initial, and PSC number for shore-based units, or ship name. d. Mail sent to dependents residing in overseas areas must be addressed in care of the sponsor. 2.2.2 Geographic Address Mail showing a foreign city and country in addition to the military address is subject to the postage rates and conditions for international mail.
From what I gathered, military addresses are treated as domestic address for rates purposes.
post #4 of 16
I had to ship a package to an APO address a few months ago. You simply just have to make it clear to both the postal clerk who is taking your package as well as having it clear on the package itself that it is APO. They should then charge the domestic rate. $25 does seem a bit much to ship that garment bag, but it could be heavier than I think it looks.
post #5 of 16
Nuke the bastard. He's in Atlanta. Probably hates the service he receives in fine dining establishments.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Nuke the bastard. He's in Atlanta. Probably hates the service he receives in fine dining establishments.

Does Waffle House count?
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Nuke the bastard. He's in Atlanta. Probably hates the service he receives in fine dining establishments.
LOL SG, Bill, any opinions on this one? With Tech in the CWS, I'll hold off for a couple of weeks at least.

Anyway, I got a clarification from him. When I paid through paypal, I gave him my APO in the notes section, but PayPal gave him my German address. Apparently he paid USPS online to ship to Germany without reading the note. He's going to try to work it out. We'll see how it goes. Ebay could make this kind of problem go away if they would let me input an APO for my shipping address

Tom
post #8 of 16
Inform ebay that they aren't supporting the troops.
post #9 of 16
The rates are the same as domestic packages. The only difference is that if the destination is overseas the seller has to fill out a customs form. Insist on the proper rate.
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Situation resolved amicably, no tactical nuclear warheads needed. Will keep one in reserve in case Clemson beats Tech tonight. Anyone here from SC? If so, fair warning.

Tom
post #11 of 16
How about dealing with members of this forum not sending items after a month and a half, and not answering emails? I'm quite puzzled.

!luc
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
How about dealing with members of this forum not sending items after a month and a half, and not answering emails? I'm quite puzzled.

!luc


Huh?
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter
Huh?
It's another question regarding the original topic, nothing pertaining to members who have participated to this thread. Sorry if this is not clear enough.

!luc
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
It's another question regarding the original topic, nothing pertaining to members who have participated to this thread. Sorry if this is not clear enough.

!luc

Why be cryptic? What exactly is the issue? (Unless it's some drama that's already been hashed out ad nauseam on some other thread, in which case, never mind...)
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02
Situation resolved amicably, no tactical nuclear warheads needed. Will keep one in reserve in case Clemson beats Tech tonight. Anyone here from SC? If so, fair warning.

Tom

Go Jackets!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Another ebay etiquette question