or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Internet buying blunders
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Internet buying blunders

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I just received this Paul Smith shirt which quite different from what I had expected. Being a francophone, sometimes I don't quite get the meaning of some english expressions as they are totally unknown to me. Now, that was one of these occasions.

So two weeks ago I ordered a magnificient blue, white and green striped shirt from SCOOP NYC. Since they won't do international shipping, I had it shipped to a friend, in Calumet, Michigan, who then shipped it to me. I was awaiting this shirt with some very high expectations... only to find me shocked when I noticed that it didn't have any collar! Oh, well, yeah... it has a god damn Nero collar! I didn't know why they called it a 'Nero shirt', especially as the monitor on the computer I was using at the time of the order was pretty bad and I didn't see any of the shirt details.

Have any of you guys made something similar at one point? Or I am the only one that is often... distracted?
post #2 of 13
They meant "Nehru" collar, after the Indian statesman who popularized a particular style of band collar, which is the generic term. There are variants of both the type of collar and the name: the Mao collar, the Mandarin Collar, Yoox calls it everything like this a "Chinese" collar. In fact, they are all somewhat different, but most people would be hard pressed to tell the differences, which are subtle. It would be like asking some random guy, completely uninterested in fashion, to tell the difference between a cutaway, semi-spread, and point collar, except that the names are less descriptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histrion
I just received this Paul Smith shirt which quite different from what I had expected. Being a francophone, sometimes I don't quite get the meaning of some english expressions as they are totally unknown to me. Now, that was one of these occasions.

So two weeks ago I ordered a magnificient blue, white and green striped shirt from SCOOP NYC. Since they won't do international shipping, I had it shipped to a friend, in Calumet, Michigan, who then shipped it to me. I was awaiting this shirt with some very high expectations... only to find me shocked when I noticed that it didn't have any collar! Oh, well, yeah... it has a god damn Nero collar! I didn't know why they called it a 'Nero shirt', especially as the monitor on the computer I was using at the time of the order was pretty bad and I didn't see any of the shirt details.

Have any of you guys made something similar at one point? Or I am the only one that is often... distracted?
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
They meant "Nehru" collar, after the Indian statesman who popularized a particular style of band collar, which is the generic term. There are variants of both the type of collar and the name: the Mao collar, the Mandarin Collar, Yoox calls it everything like this a "Chinese" collar. In fact, they are all somewhat different, but most people would be hard pressed to tell the differences, which are subtle. It would be like asking some random guy, completely uninterested in fashion, to tell the difference between a cutaway, semi-spread, and point collar, except that the names are less descriptive

The only term I have heard in Québec is 'col Mao', a Mao collar, obviously. I had never heard of a 'Nehru collar'. Thanks for the informations though. I sure won't get fooled again. I just wonder if there's anything I could wear that with so it wouldn't look stupid. But I can't think of anything, really.

So, anybody else has a little story to share?
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Histrion
The only term I have heard in Québec is 'col Mao', a Mao collar, obviously. I had never heard of a 'Nehru collar'. Thanks for the informations though. I sure won't get fooled again. I just wonder if there's anything I could wear that with so it wouldn't look stupid. But I can't think of anything, really.

So, anybody else has a little story to share?

For what it's worth, I think that band collar shirts look pretty cool nearly completely unbuttoned, and definitely untucked, with some relaxed military pants, and a pair of sneakers, on a summer weekend. Sort of a young man's take on Old Man style. Just don't wear it tucked into jeans with a sportscoat unless you are a member of the Flock of Seagulls.
post #5 of 13
Scoop is pretty bad about descriptions on their website. For example, I bought a shirt there once that was merely called "Paul Smith" on their website, which would make someone familiar with the brand expect it to be a mainline Paul Smith shirt, with the attendant details. It was, however, from the diffusion line PS Paul Smith. I still like the shirt, but I would prefer more honesty in advertising.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Scoop is pretty bad about descriptions on their website. For example, I bought a shirt there once that was merely called "Paul Smith" on their website, which would make someone familiar with the brand expect it to be a mainline Paul Smith shirt, with the attendant details. It was, however, from the diffusion line PS Paul Smith. I still like the shirt, but I would prefer more honesty in advertising.

I doubt that they are being dishonest. My experience is that the people running the web part of the business are nice, but not particularly educated about their product. I always check the retail prices to figure out stuff like the above.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
The shirt was marked Paul Smith and it was, too, a PS Paul Smith. I didn't know it was only a diffusion line though. I should have figured out as I have t-shirts from that brand, though they were quite pricey for some tees. I assume that the Paul Smith London is the 'true' line though; I have a pair of trousers from that brand.

LA Guy: thanks for the advice. I had actually considered this option, just not with the military pants. I don't have any of these. It could be a rather cool look, but I would have to be confident with that and I am not as it is, especially as jeans aren't looking particularly well with that look, at least not my SC 47's repros. Perhaps military pants would pull it off better, I guess I'd have to buy some to know.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Histrion
I had actually considered this option, just not with the military pants. I don't have any of these. It could be a rather cool look, but I would have to be confident with that and I am not as it is, especially as jeans aren't looking particularly well with that look, at least not my SC 47's repros. Perhaps military pants would pull it off better, I guess I'd have to buy some to know.

No way dark repros are going to work for that look. I would say that you need something relaxed and light colored like the old Kratt flattened wash, i.e. something you would wear to the beach and not look out of place. I would say that military pants (and make sure that they are not too fitted - relaxed is key) are the best option. And natural colored Chucks, maybe.
post #9 of 13
The buttons are the key. To separate PS, London and Paul Smith, the latter has unmarked MOP buttons.

!luc
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
The buttons are the key. To separate PS, London and Paul Smith, the latter has unmarked MOP buttons.

!luc

Problem is that you can't see that level of detail on photos on the site.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Histrion
I assume that the Paul Smith London is the 'true' line though; I have a pair of trousers from that brand.

London is the "businesswear" line, mid-range. The "true" line is the white label mainline. As Luc said, shirt buttons are unmarked MoP. I like a lot of the PS line, moreso than "London"....it mirrors the mainline a bit more, just without the extra quality and details
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Problem is that you can't see that level of detail on photos on the site.
Ok. I usually can tell from yoox pictures though. I never really looked at scoop.

PS Paul Smith is an interesting line though, a bit more wearable than a lot of mainline items (which are more sophisticated), and without the ugly markup too. I really like the floral designs used in PS shirts but the pants/suits/jackets lack quality and workmanship.

!luc
post #13 of 13
My biggest "hmmmm" was from ebay. A vintage 60s red leather jacket. It looked really cool in the multiple pics, but it's cut really short, almost to the point maybe I thought I bought a woman's jacket. But the tag sizing indicates a man's sizing....guess it's just the style of its cut. And it's a BRIGHT firetruck red. I even tried antiquing it with navy shoe cream to dull the color a tad. Still not sure if this jacket is ever gonna get worn outside, where I'll be seen.

havent had any blunders from official online retail sites.........yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Internet buying blunders