• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to make crocodile skin belts or shoes shiny again?

moontime

Reaction score
I own a few belts in crocodile skin and one in particular how lost its high gloss shine. Any products or suggestions on how to get the skins shine/gloss back?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by moontime
I own a few belts in crocodile skin and one in particular how lost its high gloss shine. Any products or suggestions on how to get the skins shine/gloss back?
It depends on the tannage. If the leather was indeed a very high gloss, I suspect it was what is known as Bombe' finish. This is a mechanical process that actually burnishes the tiles of the leather after tannage and is applicable only to vegetable tanned skins. I don't think a reglazing will come anywhere close to duplicating that original finish. I have actually tried this...many years ago...and the results, while shiny, were extremely disappointing. More modern tannages are mineral based (chrome tans) and almost invariably have a more moderate finish...much more like high quality calf. Refinishing the leather in this case can be done and yields better results. But since it never was high gloss, it never will be.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
It depends on the tannage. If the leather was indeed a very high gloss, I suspect it was what is known as Bombe' finish. This is a mechanical process that actually burnishes the tiles of the leather after tannage and is applicable only to vegetable tanned skins. I don't think a reglazing will come anywhere close to duplicating that original finish. I have actually tried this...many years ago...and the results, while shiny, were extremely disappointing. More modern tannages are mineral based (chrome tans) and almost invariably have a more moderate finish...much more like high quality calf. Refinishing the leather in this case can be done and yields better results. But since it never was high gloss, it never will be.
DW, is there a way to create a matte finish on shiny exotics. I actually prefer a dull finish but most of what I have is shiny.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
DW, is there a way to create a matte finish on shiny exotics. I actually prefer a dull finish but most of what I have is shiny.
Jeeze, that's one of those trick questions. A matte finish on most leathers is simply the absence of a "finish coat." A finish coat is usually some sort of special wax or paint...often acrylic based. Usually that can be removed with a deglazer or acetone. but sometimes colour is removed simultaneously and certainly the chemicals involved are not all that good for the leather. Most modern alligator is considered matte finished...simply because it does not have a heavy finish coat, if any. But in post production processes a finish coat can and often is applied. I almost always give my alligator boots/shoes a finish coat--customers seem to expect it. On the old Bombe finished alligator the shine is, again, created by burnishing (hard rubbing with special stone or irons. Perhaps the best way to eliminate that shine would be to get the leather wet and rub it with a cloth...nothing real coarse but nothing real soft either. Now having said all that, I would hasten to add that making a leather less shiny is not something we do every day or even in a lifelong career, so I am speculating based on experience and intuition. But if I have erred it is on the side of caution --I would not advise taking a piece of very fine sandpaper to the leather, for instance.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any products or suggestions on how to get the skins shine/gloss back?
Most of my stuff is matte finish and to bring out the luster I generally use a conditioner, then clear polish, then buff. Not sure how this would help a skin that has lost its glazing.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jeeze, that's one of those trick questions. A matte finish on most leathers is simply the absence of a "finish coat." A finish coat is usually some sort of special wax or paint...often acrylic based. Usually that can be removed with a deglazer or acetone. but sometimes colour is removed simultaneously and certainly the chemicals involved are not all that good for the leather. Most modern alligator is considered matte finished...simply because it does not have a heavy finish coat, if any. But in post production processes a finish coat can and often is applied. I almost always give my alligator boots/shoes a finish coat--customers seem to expect it. On the old Bombe finished alligator the shine is, again, created by burnishing (hard rubbing with special stone or irons. Perhaps the best way to eliminate that shine would be to get the leather wet and rub it with a cloth...nothing real coarse but nothing real soft either. Now having said all that, I would hasten to add that making a leather less shiny is not something we do every day or even in a lifelong career, so I am speculating based on experience and intuition. But if I have erred it is on the side of caution --I would not advise taking a piece of very fine sandpaper to the leather, for instance.
DW, this is very helpful to know. Thanks.

moontime

Reaction score
I can use a clear polish on crocodile skin? I was told by my local cobbler to just use leather conditioner made by Cadillac company.. Tried it and it actually made the leather look duller than before. What oils or other products do you suggest I try applying? Thanks for all the help and info by the way.

July

Reaction score
I can use a clear polish on crocodile skin? I was told by my local cobbler to just use leather conditioner made by Cadillac company.. Tried it and it actually made the leather look duller than before. What oils or other products do you suggest I try applying? Thanks for all the help and info by the way.

I've used Cadillac conditioner on alligator. It causes some hazing if you don't buff away the residue after applying. Try gently buffing the leather with a dry cloth and you should see the shine/gloss return.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A cream would be better. Neutral is good. Buff when dry.

moontime

Reaction score
A cream would be better. Neutral is good. Buff when dry.

When you say a neutral cream, do you mean a neutral colored boot/shoe polish cream, or a cream conditioner?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When you say a neutral cream, do you mean a neutral colored boot/shoe polish cream, or a cream conditioner?
Boot/shoe creme. Even the cream conditioner will work if it has a fairly high wax content--that's what will bring back whatever shine is possible.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
About the best you can expect from a home remedy:

1) Meltonian/Fiebing's/Dyo Leather Balm (mfgrs' package the same goo as reptile cream). Very lightly applied with a soft bristle toothbrush dipped in the bottle cap after the bottle has been shaken. It has the advantage of not darkening the flex lines surrounding reptilian 'tiles'.
2) Dry
3) Brush briskly with a shoe brush that exhibits no gomming from some other goo.
4) Buff with clean cotton flannel.
5) Buff with clean pantyhose.
6) Finish buff with clean cashmere flannel. Good quality 'cotton balls" may suffice if you're bereft of discardable cashmere.
7) Resolve to be satisfied with the results. Or, repeat. You cain't always git whatchu whahaunt.

(Somewhere on the ethernet a 'Gator Doctor' or 'Croc Doctor' recommends Pledge spray.)

mel07-2T.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads