About the best you can expect from a home remedy:
1) Meltonian/Fiebing's/Dyo Leather Balm (mfgrs' package the same goo as reptile cream). Very lightly applied with a soft bristle toothbrush dipped in the bottle cap after the bottle has been shaken. It has the advantage of not darkening the flex lines surrounding reptilian 'tiles'.
3) Brush briskly with a shoe brush that exhibits no gomming from some other goo.
4) Buff with clean cotton flannel.
5) Buff with clean pantyhose.
6) Finish buff with clean cashmere flannel. Good quality 'cotton balls" may suffice if you're bereft of discardable cashmere.
7) Resolve to be satisfied with the results. Or, repeat. You cain't always git whatchu whahaunt.
(Somewhere on the ethernet a 'Gator Doctor' or 'Croc Doctor' recommends Pledge spray.)