• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Pants

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in a rather quirky museum this Sunday and I crossed paths with a super-traditional Catholic family that had four young boys, all of whom were wearing short pants (in addition to being impeccably dressed and coiffed). It was quite amusing. I'd heard of this phenomenon before but had never seen it in the flesh.

Does anyone know if this is still common anywhere? And incidentally, when do children in these sorts of families get the right to wear long pants? Did any of you have to wear short pants growing up?
tongue.gif
I felt kind of bad for the kids given that it was about 3 degrees (celsius) outside.

ColumbiaKai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Did any of you have to wear short pants growing up?
tongue.gif
I felt kind of bad for the kids given that it was about 3 degrees (celsius) outside.

I wore short pants (often Lederhosen) until I was about 8 or 10. Of course, growing up in So Calif this wasn't much of a hardship.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At school till eleven years old it was shorts, shirt, blazer, v-neck and tie. In the winter term we could wear trousers for a limited time, but either side of it was quite cold. Traditionally here at school young boys wore shorts pretty much all year round.
That is becoming less and less common, but my little brother wore shorts at school most of the year till eleven as well, and that was only a few years ago.

M.D.

Reaction score
At my (catholic) secundary school (12-18yrs) this rule existed for the girls. Except between All Saints Day (nov 1st) and Easter, skirts were mandatory :)

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father wore short pants to school in a mining town in the UP in the 1930's. At about the age of twelve concerned adults talked to my grandparents about how their decision was causing much undue ridicule especially considering how the country was in a depression. Shortly there after the banker's son and my dad began wearing overalls and long pants. Thus the end of Buster Brown looking children in the Northwoods and the triumph of flannel!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My mom and dad bought me a suit with short pants. I hated it.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May someone with historical knowledge explain the reason that young men wore shorts?

Was it to compensate for the fact they they grow like weeds and would thus constantly need new longer trousers?

HHD

Reaction score
MusÃ
00a9.png
e de la Chasse et de la Nature, I'm guessing? Great place. Unless they were coming from rehearsals of The Sound of Music.

I see children wearing those little knickerbockers around the Eglise de la Madeleine on a Sunday morning. That double-breasted coat with velvet collar, shorts for boys and kilts for girls is quite a nice traditional look for French children, but unfortunate once the kids are older than four or five.

Bonpoint used to sell the costume, but Bonpoint is thought of as too nouveau or WAG these days.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
My mom and dad bought me a suit with short pants. I hated it.

Did you sell it to someone who used to be on this forvm?

- B

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ColumbiaKai
I wore short pants (often Lederhosen) until I was about 8 or 10. Of course, growing up in So Calif this wasn't much of a hardship.
Yes, I hear the California Bavarians are a welcoming group.
Originally Posted by youngscientist
At school till eleven years old it was shorts, shirt, blazer, v-neck and tie. In the winter term we could wear trousers for a limited time, but either side of it was quite cold. Traditionally here at school young boys wore shorts pretty much all year round. That is becoming less and less common, but my little brother wore shorts at school most of the year till eleven as well, and that was only a few years ago.
Incredibly bizarre. Was it used as some sort of signaling device, i.e. to indicate that they aren't yet considered men?
Originally Posted by M.D.
At my (catholic) secundary school (12-18yrs) this rule existed for the girls. Except between All Saints Day (nov 1st) and Easter, skirts were mandatory :)
Well, we all know why that is.
teacha.gif
sexy-school-girl.jpg
39610.jpg
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
My father wore short pants to school in a mining town in the UP in the 1930's. At about the age of twelve concerned adults talked to my grandparents about how their decision was causing much undue ridicule especially considering how the country was in a depression. Shortly there after the banker's son and my dad began wearing overalls and long pants. Thus the end of Buster Brown looking children in the Northwoods and the triumph of flannel!
This sounds like a SW&D fairy fable. Long live the workwear aesthetic, down with the MC gheyz.
Originally Posted by luftvier
May someone with historical knowledge explain the reason that young men wore shorts? Was it to compensate for the fact they they grow like weeds and would thus constantly need new longer trousers?
This would seem to be the logical reason, though if it's the case I'm not sure why the practice isn't enforced until the end of puberty. I think it must also constitute a kind of uniform.
Originally Posted by HHD
MusÃ
00a9.png
e de la Chasse et de la Nature, I'm guessing? Great place. Unless they were coming from rehearsals of The Sound of Music. I see children wearing those little knickerbockers around the Eglise de la Madeleine on a Sunday morning. That double-breasted coat with velvet collar, shorts for boys and kilts for girls is quite a nice traditional look for French children, but unfortunate once the kids are older than four or five. Bonpoint used to sell the costume, but Bonpoint is thought of as too nouveau or WAG these days.

Trop fort, monsieur. Although I suppose it helps that I can't think of another truly wacky museum in the city. Do you know any more of the history behind the costume in a regional context? As far as I can tell, it's just tradi bourgeois rather than bobo.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Did you sell it to someone who used to be on this forvm?

- B

If I had to pick the likeliest SF member to have worn short pants growing up, it would be you.

foo.gif
, on the other hand, was of necessity dressed in twice as long pants growing up (figuratively speaking).

HHD

Reaction score
Tradi bourgeois as you say: I don't know whether it differs from region to region. It's rarer now than it was even a decade ago as most bcbg families dress their children in the international scruffy preppy look now. It might be different in the few remaining strongholds of the traditional Catholic families in St Cloud or Passy. Bobos are more east/north Paris and I think it would be considered a faux pas to make your kids wear old-fashioned coats and knickers in those neighbourhoods. My daughter inherited a navy coat with velvet collar and buttons last year and at least one parent at our school remarked that we were grooming her for the Hitler Youth. I think some bobos are touchy about anything that might give away their own impeccably haute bourgeois roots! After all, this is a city where this advertisement was criticised as reactionary, racist and "neoliberal."
IMG_2858-4e3d4.jpg

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, I just addressed this in the "First Suit" thread. I believe that I had several dress suits with short pants as a very little boy. It was quite customary back in the '40s when I was a kid. I think usually when little boys reached the age of seven they started wearing long pants.

Even more curious was the custom in the latter part of the 19th century of dressing very little boys like little girls--in dresses and with long hair. Happened to my grandfather, and in his autobiography the well known-gunwriter Elmer Keith has a picture of himself in a dress with long hair.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
If I had to pick the likeliest SF member to have worn short pants growing up, it would be you.

Yes, I did have short pants suits, but by age 7 I was in an Apocalypse Now type of enviroment.

Back to cuties:

lesliemanzano20091021_0035.jpg

- B

fabrizzohel

Reaction score
I was in a rather quirky museum this Sunday and I crossed paths with a super-traditional Catholic family that had four young boys, all of whom were wearing short pants (in addition to being impeccably dressed and coiffed). It was quite amusing. I'd heard of this phenomenon before but had never seen it in the flesh.

Does anyone know if this is still common anywhere? And incidentally, when do children in these sorts of families get the right to wear long pants? Did any of you have to wear short pants growing up?
tongue.gif
Rather,i'd ask when these boys would lose their rights to wear shorts?To wear shorts is a privilege,one u wont get anymore once u are an adult working or attending formal functions.If i were a boy there i'd hope to hold on to my rights to shorts as long as possible,to keep comfortable in hot weather or when running is needed,and when its cold i just have to improvise with some warm stockings.Besides,im sure most parents have winter pants reserved in the wardrobes if it were really so cold that every part of the body need to be covered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads