or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 52

post #766 of 6602
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post


I'm in Ontario. The $300 includes $40 that I had to pay when I picked it up from Canada Post; I think it was $32 duties and $8 handling or something.
240 cost
20 expedited shipping
40 duties and handling
I didn't really mind the $40 to be honest.
I'm still a little new at this, but I bought Obenauf's LP, and I'll be putting a coat of that on it - it makes it water resistant, though not water proof. If the winter is as bad as it was last year, I'll probably think about the sno-seal.
Any suggestions for where I can get a Vibram sole added to it in Toronto? It's pretty damn flat to risk walking on ice with.


A Toronto shoe repair shop should be able to get a Vibram sole added to your boot. You'll want a compound that gives sure grip on slippery surfaces.

post #767 of 6602
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post

I'm in Ontario. The $300 includes $40 that I had to pay when I picked it up from Canada Post; I think it was $32 duties and $8 handling or something.
240 cost
20 expedited shipping
40 duties and handling
I didn't really mind the $40 to be honest.
I'm still a little new at this, but I bought Obenauf's LP, and I'll be putting a coat of that on it - it makes it water resistant, though not water proof. If the winter is as bad as it was last year, I'll probably think about the sno-seal.
Any suggestions for where I can get a Vibram sole added to it in Toronto? It's pretty damn flat to risk walking on ice with.

Thanks! I was also debating between the Obenauf's LP and the sno-seal... I like the original colour/tone of the boots so I might settle for the one that darkens the boot less...
post #768 of 6602
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaujai View Post

Thanks! I was also debating between the Obenauf's LP and the sno-seal... I like the original colour/tone of the boots so I might settle for the one that darkens the boot less...

I'd go with Obenauf LP. Note, I've read here that the Obenauf oil darkens significantly. I've posted pics in this thread after several LP applications. Color's remained close to original.
post #769 of 6602
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post

I just got my Wolverines in the mail from Revolve Clothing (Canada Post sucks). The total cost was $300, including taxes and duties. Much cheaper than the $395 + 13% taxes, which is the going price in Toronto.
Pictures below at the bottom. Jeans are Unbranded selvage denims; in the background is my briefcase from Unlucky (Scott).
263
263
263

Excellent boots! I have one just like yours. I've been wearing mostly GT or IR to office daily. The very first day I wore the 1k miles to work, I got 3 compliments smile.gif plus everyone wanted to know from where they all can get one! My feet are wide and mine being EEE is super comfy. Although must confess that I'm finding it tad too roomier than those snug fitting D size RWs.
post #770 of 6602
I'm thinking its about time to oil up my boots. I've got some obernauf and I was just wondering how to put it on. Do I just put it on with the brush that comes attached to the cap and let it soak in or do I need to rub it in with a rag?
post #771 of 6602
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post

I just got my Wolverines in the mail from Revolve Clothing (Canada Post sucks). The total cost was $300, including taxes and duties. Much cheaper than the $395 + 13% taxes, which is the going price in Toronto.
Pictures below at the bottom. Jeans are Unbranded selvage denims; in the background is my briefcase from Unlucky (Scott).
263
263
263

Thats a nice looking boot. Not bulky at all. I think it looks like the perfect shade too.
 

 

post #772 of 6602
what is the appeal of these boots? they look just like a pair of regular work boots, nothing special really, maybe even cheap looking to the untrained eye. why not buy some alden boots from leathersoul, they look much better.
post #773 of 6602
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post

what is the appeal of these boots? they look just like a pair of regular work boots, nothing special really, maybe even cheap looking to the untrained eye. why not buy some alden boots from leathersoul, they look much better.


They look conservative. If you want more casual Wolverine boots, there are Wolverine Tyrol hiking book available in Europe.

post #774 of 6602

Just ordered the last 10.5 Brown Addison's from Revolve. It's a customer return so hopefully I won't get disappointed like I did with Sportsman's Guide but Revolve said they don't plan on restocking a lot of the 1000 Mile Boots so I had to take the chance.

post #775 of 6602
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post

what is the appeal of these boots? they look just like a pair of regular work boots, nothing special really, maybe even cheap looking to the untrained eye. why not buy some alden boots from leathersoul, they look much better.

You're in the wrong thread fella. Now go on, git.
post #776 of 6602
261

261

Just picked up a pair of these fantastic boots yesterday, thought I'd post a nice comparison pic with my year old clark's db

Both are the same sized 8. Apparently I'm an 8 no matter what i wear.

Edit: Here's a pic of them on me, which gives a pretty good idea of how they look with a pair of slim jeans

261
Edited by Nykwil - 11/4/11 at 11:45am
post #777 of 6602
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post

...in the background is my briefcase from Unlucky (Scott).
263

Can you post some pics of the unlucky briefcase? I really like his stuff.
post #778 of 6602
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post

what is the appeal of these boots? they look just like a pair of regular work boots, nothing special really, maybe even cheap looking to the untrained eye. why not buy some alden boots from leathersoul, they look much better.

But they're apples and oranges...
I see the modern 1000 Mile as more of a fashion work-boot which is being promoted with the company's work-boot heritage for credibility - so you end up with repro. details with dressier twists, great for denim warriors and the like, but can also look somewhat confused to work-boot enthusiasts.

Alden's boots, on the other hand, are orthopaedic work shoes which have transformed slowly into dressier shoes over decades - their styling and detailing of footwear has had time to grow and mature into what they are now, not to mention the footwear are still being made by the same people, so they naturally would look more refined & "congruent".
post #779 of 6602
bought these wolverine boots a year and a half ago as they were 50% off and in my size so i thought why not - they have since served me well and spontaneously decided to give them some treatment:

BEFORE:
Worn through alot of rain, alcohol, clubs, to several countries... they have held up fairly well, although the welt and the leather sole were getting quite roughed up:
1000mile-before.jpg
1000mile-before-close.jpg

SANDING
So i decided to get out some moderately rough sandpaper, and took it to the soles... applied some pressure and just worked it till it was fairly even. Then i used a very fine grade sandpaper to give it a really smooth finish.

1000mile-sand.jpg

FINAL OIL:

I used RM williams leather conditioner (beeswax and lanolin base) on the whole boot which brought back the lustre to the chromexcel. I can never manage to get a real mirror finish o chromexcel, even with a shoe polish - this is the best i'll get. Also used the conditioner on the edge of sole (i don't have sole dressing but this works just as well), and even applied it to the outsole. Gave it a nice finish to the sole edge, and made the base of the sole looks similar to alden's "flex welt" oil sole.

1000mile-finish-close.jpg

1000milefinished.jpg
1000mile-finish-close.jpg
post #780 of 6602
Great post AriGold. I like the edge trim, I may have to do something similar.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review