or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 329

post #4921 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by loug View Post

Just read about this.  Good idea or not?

Shoe polish
What, exactly, is it in shoe polish that has such a headache-inducing smell? It could be any number of potentially toxic ingredients. Banish them from your house and use olive oil instead. Just buff onto your leather shoes with a cloth.

Turpentine and using olive oil is another one of those "home remedies" that can have catastrophic consequences.
post #4922 of 6939

I know there are a million questions on sizing as I have searched and read them but I just want some advice/reassurance.

 

I recently ordered and received 1000K miles from Nordstrom, I ordered a size 7.5. I have the option to return/exchange for a 7 but I also cannot try them on in the store as they don't have them. So I'm hoping for some advice and whether to go through with the process and maybe have to return them again because they are too small.

 

I am wondering, how much room should I have in the when I make my toe touch the front? The width seems to fit great and all but when wearing Kirkland Wool Socks I have probably 1/2 inch maybe a little less of room when my toes touch the front. Is that too much room, so I have go with a size 7? It probably takes 2 soft taps to have my toes touch the top when tied. 

 

Any help would be appreciated. I know I can always exchange them but if I return the 7.5 for a 7 and they end up too small, it is just another added hassle. 

 

P.S. Not sure if I did it perfectly but I did measure my Brannock with wool socks on and it was 8.5 I think. 


Edited by auri - 1/14/14 at 5:52pm
post #4923 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by auri View Post

I know there are a million questions on sizing as I have searched and read them but I just want some advice/reassurance.

I recently ordered and received 1000K miles from Nordstrom, I ordered a size 7.5. I have the option to return/exchange for a 7 but I also cannot try them on in the store as they don't have them. So I'm hoping for some advice and whether to go through with the process and maybe have to return them again because they are too small.

I am wondering, how much room should I have in the when I make my toe touch the front? The width seems to fit great and all but when wearing Kirkland Wool Socks I have probably 1/2 inch maybe a little less of room when my toes touch the front. Is that too much room, so I have go with a size 7? It probably takes 2 soft taps to have my toes touch the top when tied. 

Any help would be appreciated. I know I can always exchange them but if I return the 7.5 for a 7 and they end up too small, it is just another added hassle. 

P.S. Not sure if I did it perfectly but I did measure my Brannock with wool socks on and it was 8.5 I think. 

The boots you currently have are too small. Have someone who knows how to correctly use a Brannok device measure your feet.
post #4924 of 6939

OJFC - what is this obsession you guys have with jamming your toes into boots?

 

lefty

post #4925 of 6939

Have size 12 1K's, usually wear 13 M, wish these were 13's.  The 12's fit length is okay but the width is a little tight.  Can only be worn with thin dress socks with the laces loose.  From now on nothing smaller than 13 M (13 EE if available).  Did a bunch of reading before ordering and didn't take into consideration what socks would be used.  The 1K's will work, summer use with thin socks, loosely tied.

post #4926 of 6939

Just got my first pair of 1000 miles today. I've read the entire thread before making my purchase and I bought them heavily discounted from Amazon. Even though the shop is a stockist of Wolverine 1000 Mile and they advertise them as new, I'm still fairly sure they're seconds or returns. Mine came with a scuff on the left boot, but I was prepared for a gamble because of how much I paid for them so I'm not upset at all.

 

I decided on sizing down half a size. I wear a 9D most of the time. It's abit too snug for my liking. This is a pretty narrow fit that reminds me of the Iron Rangers and the Beckmans. I can probably live with it, but I'll have to wear them a while to make a judgement.

 

Here's a few pics out of the box.

 

 

 

The fit compared to my OSB Trench Boots. It's significantly narrower. The Trench Boots fit much better. Perhaps I should not have sized down.

 

I'm looking forward to wearing them and putting them into rotation.

 


On a side note, anyone know where I can find burgundy leather laces?

post #4927 of 6939
That's very odd. I have somewhat wide feet and I feel like the 1K's are huge in the toe box. I ended up going down a full size too. I'm still breaking mine in. I like my leather shoes to fit very firm because they usually stretch out on me.
post #4928 of 6939

For sure the 1K's run narrow, toe box is fine its the width at the center of the shoe that is tight.  Sole could be a bit wider.  Link for laces that might help:  http://www.shoelacesexpress.com/leather.asp

post #4929 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post


Turpentine and using olive oil is another one of those "home remedies" that can have catastrophic consequences.

Any conditioner can have catastrophic consequences if you're using it incorrectly. There aren't many great reasons to use olive oil over other widely available vegetable oils, but it can work fine as a conditioner if used judiciously. (I've never recommended it though because I've found it really hard to use correctly.)

post #4930 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrend View Post

Any conditioner can have catastrophic consequences if you're using it incorrectly. There aren't many great reasons to use olive oil over other widely available vegetable oils, but it can work fine as a conditioner if used judiciously. (I've never recommended it though because I've found it really hard to use correctly.)

It's a quick fix at best and yes it's very problematic. You are also correct in saying that too much of any conditioner can ruin leather as well. It is always better to apply light coats versus really heavy coats. Proper leather care is a double edged sword. If you do nothing it dries out and self destructs. Too much and the leather gets mushy and stretches out among other things. You clean leather when it needs cleaning. You condition it when it gets dry feeling and starts stiffening up. You use LP or snoseal as an added layer of protection if you're going to expose it to damp and wet conditions on a regular basis. You don't set some schedule like say condition them every two weeks or anything like that. The leather will let you know what you need to do and when. My leather boots are my most used leather items and are exposed to all kinds of crap regularly. My leather satchel is exposed to some of the same conditions but on a much more limited basis. The boots need more attention while the satchel requires much less in terms of cleaning and conditioning. Basically when and how is based on an individual's use and the care regimen is based on that. Now in all of this there is a constant. Use well known and well regarded leather care products on your leather.
post #4931 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post


Now in all of this there is a constant. Use well known and well regarded leather care products on your leather.

I'm pretty much 100% with you. I'd finish this last little bit with "know what you're putting on/in your leather." 

 

In the other places I talk about this stuff, I see a lot of people who blindly throw on whatever the current consensus best product is and sometimes end up disappointed in a change in color or finish.

 

When I am asked, I tend have two answers to leather (usually boot) care questions. The best one is "it depends on your use case" and the simplest is "just use Lexol if you're just wearing them around town and to the office." Personally, I use a lot of homebrewed stuff with coconut oil as a primary conditioner because I know how and why it works and what one of its biggest drawbacks is. I'll often recommend it as a general conditioner because it's relatively hard to screw up with it, but it's not always the best choice for all cases. 

post #4932 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrend View Post

I'm pretty much 100% with you. I'd finish this last little bit with "know what you're putting on/in your leather." 

In the other places I talk about this stuff, I see a lot of people who blindly throw on whatever the current consensus best product is and sometimes end up disappointed in a change in color or finish.

When I am asked, I tend have two answers to leather (usually boot) care questions. The best one is "it depends on your use case" and the simplest is "just use Lexol if you're just wearing them around town and to the office." Personally, I use a lot of homebrewed stuff with coconut oil as a primary conditioner because I know how and why it works and what one of its biggest drawbacks is. I'll often recommend it as a general conditioner because it's relatively hard to screw up with it, but it's not always the best choice for all cases. 

Very true. Along with that I would add that it is essential you know exactly what type of leather you have and how it's finished. Almost everything I have is a full grain, full aniline leather that has been vegetable tanned. That tends to keep my life much less complicated when it comes to care. I do have some things that are exotics and they have there own care requirements.
post #4933 of 6939

Has anyone ever had one of the speed hooks come off? Unfortunately I don't have the speed hook anymore. Pretty disappointed in this happening on my own pair. Any suggestions on what to do? 

post #4934 of 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyztrannna View Post

Has anyone ever had one of the speed hooks come off? Unfortunately I don't have the speed hook anymore. Pretty disappointed in this happening on my own pair. Any suggestions on what to do? 

I'd suggest contacting Wolverine and asking if they will repair/replace it? Assuming you didn't throw it through a meat grinder or something.
post #4935 of 6939
Can I get by with just using obenaufs lp all the time, or do I have to use the oil as well?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review