Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- John Lobb Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 3:15 am in Classic Menswear
- Wolverine Austen Lace Up 1000 Mile Last post on 9/15/12 at 11:19am in Classic Menswear
- Stylish F/W Boots Suggestions? Last post on 9/4/12 at 6:05pm in Classic Menswear
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care GuideLast edited: 8/10/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 280post #4186 of 770511/5/13 at 5:53pmAnybody experience problems with the leather sole stitching without a topy? What happens if the stitching frays or breaks? Does it affect the stitching on the top welt? I have some stitching on the bottom sole that wasnt stitched properly in the groove so it is stitched over the leather and exposed. It will probably cause quite a bit of fraying when walking on concrete. Any inputs?post #4187 of 770511/5/13 at 7:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by ihatesundays
Anybody experience problems with the leather sole stitching without a topy? What happens if the stitching frays or breaks? Does it affect the stitching on the top welt? I have some stitching on the bottom sole that wasnt stitched properly in the groove so it is stitched over the leather and exposed. It will probably cause quite a bit of fraying when walking on concrete. Any inputs?
Non issue.post #4188 of 770511/6/13 at 2:01am
Just ordered my first pair of 1k's in Rust, and I'm pretty excited. Almost went with the Cordovan, but since this is my first pair of workboots, I figured a shade of brown is the better choice. I'm one of those guys who buy these for form not function (I know, the worst) and I'll be living in the San Fran area for a couple years, then DC. So the only thing I need to worry about is rain and a little snow later. I will definitely be wearing the hell out of these though.
I've read most of this monster thread, and clearly there's decades of combined experience with 1k's on here, so since I have zero and have yet to see a pair in person (military overseas in Japan), hopefully you fine gentlemen can help me out.
This is really my first experience with quality leather goods and I obviously want to take great care of these and keep them looking beautiful, but I do NOT want to darken the leather into chocolate. I know Obenauf's LP and Sno Seal are favorites around here, and I would love to never worry about moisture again, but I've read/seen terrifying examples where it's turned medium brown boots dark brown permanently. I hear that these will darken over time anyway, so I'm not in a hurry to get there.
I recognize it's leather and every boot is unique, but here are a couple pics of the color that sold me on these and how I'd love for mine to end up near:
So what I'm seeing is not really a high shine, but I'd like to achieve that depth to the color to bring out that reddish hue in the brown. For the uppers, my research has yielded Venetian, Saphir Renovateur, and Lexol as good lightweight conditioners that won't darken the leather much but will still provide protection against rain.
What do you all recommend? Maybe in your experience Obenauf's + Rust 1k's ends up looking just like these.
Oh one last question, if the verdict is Obenauf's will darken the upper considerably, is it a good idea to use it on the sole for maximum protection?
Thanks!post #4189 of 770511/6/13 at 7:33amQuote:
thanks for the feedback. decided to get the regular 1k mile in black instead . maybe in the future I will get the captoe but for now I will play it safe.post #4190 of 770511/6/13 at 11:49amWell, I would like to say one thing: after a year of wearing them, it's time to admit that Crane's (it hurts to say this) is right when it comes to fit. It's time to bid adieu to my 721s and 744s, which were basically grails for me, because I bought them too small. My takeaway from this (expensive) lesson is that the most important part is to get the joint of my toe in the right place, the width right, and ensure my heel doesn't have lateral slippage and not worry about space in front of my toes any more.
That said, I found a pair of boots that fits me perfectly, modified last Alden Indy's, and its amazing the world of difference my feet feel right now. They have the same tank-like feel to them, though I haven't decided whether I'm going to water-proof them.post #4191 of 770511/6/13 at 3:34pm
Honestly I did not find the obenaufs darkened the leather at all. They look a little different in the "after" pic but I honestly think it's just as much the lighting.
Alot of the pics you see of the boots darker may be literally just waxed. When applying the wax the boots will get VERY dark. They lighten almost immediately and continue to over the course of the next few mins with a blow drier.post #4192 of 770511/6/13 at 3:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by wdahab
Well, I would like to say one thing: after a year of wearing them, it's time to admit that Crane's (it hurts to say this) is right when it comes to fit. It's time to bid adieu to my 721s and 744s, which were basically grails for me, because I bought them too small. My takeaway from this (expensive) lesson is that the most important part is to get the joint of my toe in the right place, the width right, and ensure my heel doesn't have lateral slippage and not worry about space in front of my toes any more.
That said, I found a pair of boots that fits me perfectly, modified last Alden Indy's, and its amazing the world of difference my feet feel right now. They have the same tank-like feel to them, though I haven't decided whether I'm going to water-proof them.
That just sucks W. I made a few sizing mistakes in my time with some expensive footwear before so I feel your pain.post #4193 of 770511/6/13 at 5:21pmQuote:
What size Modified do you take?post #4194 of 770511/7/13 at 3:56ampost #4195 of 770511/7/13 at 5:01ampost #4196 of 770511/7/13 at 5:15amQuote:
I have no idea where you get that from. Then again all my computer monitors are calibrated too. At best I see underexposed photos and the wrong white balance in some pics but nothing that looks like an "oily black".
edit: Unless they're black to begin with that is. Then I expect them to be black with an oily sheen.post #4197 of 770511/7/13 at 8:04ampost #4198 of 770511/7/13 at 8:16ampost #4199 of 770511/7/13 at 8:27ampost #4200 of 770511/7/13 at 9:01ambought a pair of 1ks used off craigslist a little over a week ago. they were in pretty decent condition, though the guy never treated them (and I havent had an opportunity to yet). at $115 the price was right anyway.
I did some walking on rocks though, and a hole is forming in the left sole! not sure if it was already there. I really need to get some rubber soles put in.
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Poor Samuelsohn suit alteration? 25 seconds ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 32 seconds ago
- › TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread 3 minutes ago
- › What color suit/shirt/tie would compliment a black dress? 4 minutes ago
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 4 minutes ago
- › The "Actively Discovering 'New' Brands" Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 6 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 8 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...