Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- John Lobb Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 6:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- Wolverine Austen Lace Up 1000 Mile Last post on 9/15/12 at 11:19am in Classic Menswear
- Stylish F/W Boots Suggestions? Last post on 9/4/12 at 6:05pm in Classic Menswear
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care GuideLast edited: 8/10/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 215post #3212 of 76733/24/13 at 8:25pmpost #3213 of 76733/24/13 at 8:25pmpost #3214 of 76733/25/13 at 9:38amQuote:Originally Posted by wdahab
Ah, okay, so these are also being sold at Amazon (through Shoesontheweb) for $104 shipped, no tax. And $99 for the 8" version (which I was tempted to try out, but then decided that it was just going to be overkill for me. Fuck that's a hell of a price for a pair of CXL made in USA boots. I went with 8.5EEE, which is my standard boot size, so we'll see how this fits. The lug sole is pretty hard core.
Did you get your new boots yet? If so, how did they fit? Did they run large? Small? Thanks!post #3215 of 76733/25/13 at 9:54ampost #3216 of 76733/25/13 at 2:04pm
Found a pair of 50s era 1000 mile boots on ebay, look to be in decent condition. Can the upper area be reconditioned?post #3217 of 76733/25/13 at 3:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by DerangedGoose
Found a pair of 50s era 1000 mile boots on ebay, look to be in decent condition. Can the upper area be reconditioned?
the shoe care thread has a ton of info on how to bring those back.post #3218 of 76733/25/13 at 4:05pmQuote:
Do those look like something worth investing in? The underside looks nicely finished, but I have no idea what to look for in a boot of this type or age...
Perhaps I should have only posted pics and kept the link to myself :ppost #3219 of 76733/25/13 at 4:09pmpost #3220 of 76733/25/13 at 4:17pmQuote:
Darn! I was hoping you'd be a guinea pig so I'd know what size to get. ;-)
p.s. Those OSB boots look great!post #3221 of 76733/25/13 at 4:53pmQuote:
for $100 i'd take the risk.
they are my size...
but seriously, $100's probably all i'd risk.
also, i'd take crane's advice over mine, he's an expert on these.post #3222 of 76733/25/13 at 5:17pmpost #3223 of 76733/26/13 at 2:30pmpost #3224 of 76733/26/13 at 2:54pmQuote:
Always easier to start light, obviously. You can use a variety of harmful-to-leather chemicals to remove existing color. I've used bleach before. I think any sort of less harmful way will take much more time and elbow grease (Renomat, et al.).
Most cobblers can re-dye shoes or boots for you, no problem; or you can purchase the dyes and DIY.
What tone are you trying to achieve?
I personally would not mess with CXL. And if you were going to, start with natural CXL.
I would also recommend checking out these threads for further information:post #3225 of 76733/26/13 at 2:55pmI'm not an expert but I think CXL uses a unique process which results in a leather that has a higher oil content. It is this process which gives CXL its unique properties and probably why it never really allows for a high shine. If you use some chemicals to try and strip the color you may also change the nature of the leather.
I've seen okay results on readying calf leather but this may be different.
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 2 minutes ago
- › MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread 3 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 4 minutes ago
- › ethan's Musing on the Near East 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 6 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 6 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding