Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on Yesterday at 3:14 pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- John Lobb Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 4:14 pm in Classic Menswear
- Wolverine Austen Lace Up 1000 Mile Last post on 9/15/12 at 11:19am in Classic Menswear
- Stylish F/W Boots Suggestions? Last post on 9/4/12 at 6:05pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 7/22/15 at 2:19am in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 215
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3212 of 73373/24/13 at 8:25pmpost #3213 of 73373/24/13 at 8:25pmpost #3214 of 73373/25/13 at 9:38amQuote:Originally Posted by wdahab
Ah, okay, so these are also being sold at Amazon (through Shoesontheweb) for $104 shipped, no tax. And $99 for the 8" version (which I was tempted to try out, but then decided that it was just going to be overkill for me. Fuck that's a hell of a price for a pair of CXL made in USA boots. I went with 8.5EEE, which is my standard boot size, so we'll see how this fits. The lug sole is pretty hard core.
Did you get your new boots yet? If so, how did they fit? Did they run large? Small? Thanks!post #3215 of 73373/25/13 at 9:54ampost #3216 of 73373/25/13 at 2:04pm
Found a pair of 50s era 1000 mile boots on ebay, look to be in decent condition. Can the upper area be reconditioned?post #3217 of 73373/25/13 at 3:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by DerangedGoose
Found a pair of 50s era 1000 mile boots on ebay, look to be in decent condition. Can the upper area be reconditioned?
the shoe care thread has a ton of info on how to bring those back.post #3218 of 73373/25/13 at 4:05pmQuote:
Do those look like something worth investing in? The underside looks nicely finished, but I have no idea what to look for in a boot of this type or age...
Perhaps I should have only posted pics and kept the link to myself :ppost #3219 of 73373/25/13 at 4:09pmpost #3220 of 73373/25/13 at 4:17pmQuote:
Darn! I was hoping you'd be a guinea pig so I'd know what size to get. ;-)
p.s. Those OSB boots look great!post #3221 of 73373/25/13 at 4:53pmQuote:
for $100 i'd take the risk.
they are my size...
but seriously, $100's probably all i'd risk.
also, i'd take crane's advice over mine, he's an expert on these.post #3222 of 73373/25/13 at 5:17pmpost #3223 of 73373/26/13 at 2:30pmpost #3224 of 73373/26/13 at 2:54pmQuote:
Always easier to start light, obviously. You can use a variety of harmful-to-leather chemicals to remove existing color. I've used bleach before. I think any sort of less harmful way will take much more time and elbow grease (Renomat, et al.).
Most cobblers can re-dye shoes or boots for you, no problem; or you can purchase the dyes and DIY.
What tone are you trying to achieve?
I personally would not mess with CXL. And if you were going to, start with natural CXL.
I would also recommend checking out these threads for further information:post #3225 of 73373/26/13 at 2:55pmI'm not an expert but I think CXL uses a unique process which results in a leather that has a higher oil content. It is this process which gives CXL its unique properties and probably why it never really allows for a high shine. If you use some chemicals to try and strip the color you may also change the nature of the leather.
I've seen okay results on readying calf leather but this may be different.
- Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 25 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 10 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 10 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Help Please for a bespoke Dinner Jacket (tuxedo) 36 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 41 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 50 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 52 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 55 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...