or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 212

post #3166 of 6934
I went back several pages and couldn't find the answer to this question, so apologies if it's been asked before.

Does anyone have the Montague 1000 Mile Chelsea Boots? If so, did you go down a .5 or a whole size?

Thanks for your help.
post #3167 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoknight View Post

after i do this method will the dark color stay permanent or it will get lighter eventually?

http://imgur.com/a/DmUx9

They'll lighten up over time. Nice rewrite of my method BTW.
post #3168 of 6934
Don't think that's his rewrite, I remember using that as some guidance as well for mine. 2 months of heavy wear, and mine (originally "cigar" colored) haven't lightened back up at all. Not really upset about that, and I know I'll get some lightening where it bends, but they are still a decidedly dark, dark brown. I stopped by the Wolverine Co. store in NYC last weekend and saw what they looked like originally. Should have taken a comparison shot, they don't look like the same boot at all. That said, the sales associates at the store all claimed (blowing smoke, maybe) that they loved the darker color. I think some of them were actually appalled at what I'd done.
post #3169 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Don't think that's his rewrite, I remember using that as some guidance as well for mine. 2 months of heavy wear, and mine (originally "cigar" colored) haven't lightened back up at all. Not really upset about that, and I know I'll get some lightening where it bends, but they are still a decidedly dark, dark brown. I stopped by the Wolverine Co. store in NYC last weekend and saw what they looked like originally. Should have taken a comparison shot, they don't look like the same boot at all. That said, the sales associates at the store all claimed (blowing smoke, maybe) that they loved the darker color. I think some of them were actually appalled at what I'd done.

This type of leather darkens with use no matter what you do. It's the nature of the beast.
post #3170 of 6934
Right, I know that. Just commenting on when you said they'd lighten up over time, hasn't so far. These are much much darker than these were ever going to get with sunlight. Mind you, I'm not complaining.

Also, finally gave in and gave my boots a nice conditioning with some Meltonian, since they just were not getting rid of that tackiness. It really did the trick, they are much, much smoother, with that real shell feel to them. I know there are all sorts of stigmas of various items being used on shell, but I figure nothing I use is going to be worse than walking through the Great South Bay, full of salt and algae. Gonna water brush them up tonight.
post #3171 of 6934
Crane's or anyone else privy to such knowledge: Do you know what kind of leather the Wolverine Plainsman boots are made out of? Specifically, what kind of Horween they're using.

They're not in the 1000 mile line, but according to wolverine.com they are Horween leather, unlined, goodyear welted, and are Made in USA. Sierra Trading Post has them at $160, and always 25-40% off coupons online (Right now I found a 25% to make them $120, there was a 40% earlier this week). A hell of a deal, for those specs at that price point. Trying to decide now whether I want to roll the dice on a pair, or live with the knowledge that I don't really need another pair of boots. The synthetic insoles are the one thing that I think is justifying me not making this purchase, but everything else sounds amazing.
post #3172 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Crane's or anyone else privy to such knowledge: Do you know what kind of leather the Wolverine Plainsman boots are made out of? Specifically, what kind of Horween they're using.

They're not in the 1000 mile line, but according to wolverine.com they are Horween leather, unlined, goodyear welted, and are Made in USA. Sierra Trading Post has them at $160, and always 25-40% off coupons online (Right now I found a 25% to make them $120, there was a 40% earlier this week). A hell of a deal, for those specs at that price point. Trying to decide now whether I want to roll the dice on a pair, or live with the knowledge that I don't really need another pair of boots. The synthetic insoles are the one thing that I think is justifying me not making this purchase, but everything else sounds amazing.

It looks like CXL or Predator leather to me. For 120 bucks I would buy them.
post #3173 of 6934
Just went through the types of leather Horween offers. Realized they have a "Plainsman" leather, which is basically a CXL but with an oily finish, instead of a waxy finish. Can't really know whether Wolverine is naming the boots after the leather used, or if it's just a marketing coincidence.
post #3174 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Crane's or anyone else privy to such knowledge: Do you know what kind of leather the Wolverine Plainsman boots are made out of? Specifically, what kind of Horween they're using.

They're not in the 1000 mile line, but according to wolverine.com they are Horween leather, unlined, goodyear welted, and are Made in USA. Sierra Trading Post has them at $160, and always 25-40% off coupons online (Right now I found a 25% to make them $120, there was a 40% earlier this week). A hell of a deal, for those specs at that price point. Trying to decide now whether I want to roll the dice on a pair, or live with the knowledge that I don't really need another pair of boots. The synthetic insoles are the one thing that I think is justifying me not making this purchase, but everything else sounds amazing.

Thanks for bringing up the Plainsman. I'm thinking about getting a pair. But I do have a question on sizing. I currently own two pairs of Wolverines. A pair of 1K's (size 8), and a Chinese made pair of steel toed boots (size 9). Would I be correct in assuming that the Plainsman will fit closer the my 1K's (since they're both US made)?

post #3175 of 6934
Not a frickin' clue, really. It says it's unlined, which I usually find means that the lower sizing feels better, since it'll conform to your foot. But I have a wide foot/tall instep. So I find that I run into width/height problems long before I run into toe-room problems. If I bought a pair, I'd get my 1K sizing.
post #3176 of 6934
Ah, okay, so these are also being sold at Amazon (through Shoesontheweb) for $104 shipped, no tax. And $99 for the 8" version (which I was tempted to try out, but then decided that it was just going to be overkill for me. Fuck that's a hell of a price for a pair of CXL made in USA boots. I went with 8.5EEE, which is my standard boot size, so we'll see how this fits. The lug sole is pretty hard core.
post #3177 of 6934

Guys, if anyone here is interested I'm selling the 1000 Mile boots in brown, size 9,5 US.

 

I've purchased them in October 2011 and been wearing them several times since but there are still in very good conditions to me. Of course there would be the sole and the heel to change.

 

As for the price I don't know if I can write it here so... just send me a PM if interested and i'll also send you the pictures.

 

Lastly, I know there are a few here from Europe but I would rather consider selling them to an European buyer to avoid custom fees...

post #3178 of 6934

I don't know if this has been addressed previously, my apologies if so.  I remember seeing several queries regarding replacement laces for 1000 Mile boots.  After an exhaustive web search that led nowhere I filled out a request for info from Wolverine's Concierge service on their website and received the following reply.  Don't know about you, but I find $10 a pair to be excessive for laces, even the best laces at my cobbler's aren't that much.  Guess beggars can't be choosers. :-(  Wanting several pairs for both of my 1000 Mile boots is gonna beggar me.

 

Thank you for your email regarding 1000 Mile laces. We have laces available for sale through our Wolverine Company Store. 
Brown and black laces are available for sale at $10 a set. I have included the contact information for both of the 
stores below. 
 
Wolverine Company Store
40 Monroe Center Ave
Grand Rapids,MI 49503
616.456.1883
 
Wolverine Company Store
242 Elizabeth Street
New York, NY 10012
646.300.1368
 
Thank you,
 
 
Emily Hammes
Wolverine Consumer Relations 
T  1.866.699.7369  
www.wolverine.com  
post #3179 of 6934
just wondering did all of you size the boots with your big toe touching the inside tip of the boot? i didn't i have about 1 1/3 inch of space but every boot if i sized it so it fit tight after about 14hrs of standing on my feet they start to hurt bad this is with boot socks.
post #3180 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswound View Post

just wondering did all of you size the boots with your big toe touching the inside tip of the boot? i didn't i have about 1 1/3 inch of space but every boot if i sized it so it fit tight after about 14hrs of standing on my feet they start to hurt bad this is with boot socks.

i don't think for any shoe or boot anyone sizes to where there big toe touches the tip. your feet expand as they heat up. you gotta have some wiggle room.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review