All relying on stretch tells me is the boot/shoe was too small to begin with.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on Today at 2:50 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 8/27/15 at 7:39am in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- John Lobb Appreciation Thread Last post on 8/27/15 at 10:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Wolverine Austen Lace Up 1000 Mile Last post on 9/15/12 at 11:19am in Classic Menswear
- Stylish F/W Boots Suggestions? Last post on 9/4/12 at 6:05pm in Classic Menswear
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 189post #2821 of 73761/25/13 at 5:42am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2822 of 73761/25/13 at 6:19amMy experience with stretching is that it's a very foot specific business, and that a shoe/boot may stretch laterally to become more comfortable, but never length wise. I have a wide foot, so boots that don't come in wide sizes tend to be a bit narrow, but CXL/Shell will stretch enough so that they become nice fitting, and it doesn't matter if the sides of my foot are touching the sides of the boot, as long as the pressure isn't too much. This is preferable than shoes that are 100% comfortable at first, but then stretch and now are too big. For me, 9.5D's start comfortable, and 9D's start uncomfortable. My 744 9's are now absolutely perfect, and the length in the toe isn't too bad. The 9.5D's I suspect, would be too big.
If you have a long, narrow foot, though, you'll find that a snug fit will only come when you don't have enough room in your toes, and that's always going to be uncomfortable. The amount they stretch there will still always result in your toes touching the ends of the boots, which is a Bad Thing.
Also, re: the question of changing the heel with a half-sole, my half-sole is about 4mm, and I didn't change my heel. Bear in mind that 1K's already come with a pretty significant heel compared to dress shoes, so it might be completely unnecessary.post #2823 of 73761/25/13 at 6:27ampost #2824 of 73761/25/13 at 7:09amDon't get me wrong, that kind of advice isn't for someone who actually has a D width foot, but for someone with an extra-wide foot it's essential. Those of us with EEE feet live in a world where shoe fitters constantly tell us "just size up," even at places you'd hope would know better, such as Leffot (twice). Sizing up, especially in unlined shoes/boots, will lead to a shoe that is much too big once they're broken in. My point was that sizing advice, just like shoes, is never "one size fits all," and I was just putting out sizing some guidance for Wide Footers trying to size properly.post #2825 of 73761/25/13 at 8:58ampost #2826 of 73761/25/13 at 9:15ampost #2827 of 73761/25/13 at 9:50ampost #2828 of 73761/25/13 at 10:24amI just got them!
No missing stiches, no wierd stiches pattern, no leather damage... just a really nice pair of boots !!
Thank you Karl and Dave from Crane's Store, it was a real pleasure to deal with you!
A quick pic before they go back in the box waiting for the cobbler:
Looking at this picture make me think about just adding a thin rubber half sole to preserve the leather sole. I want to keep that slim look without adding a big layer.
Edited by rexet - 1/25/13 at 10:37ampost #2829 of 73761/25/13 at 10:35ampost #2830 of 73761/25/13 at 11:05ampost #2831 of 73761/25/13 at 11:46ampost #2832 of 73761/25/13 at 12:46pmQuote:
I agree. For me, I don't accommodate for stretch for any type of shoe with the exception of chromexcel shoes. All my dress shoes from Edward Greens to Aldens fits perfectly to begin with and being snug or loose is a sign of an ill-fitting shoe. Its just that for some reason I do experience a noticeable amount of stretch for chromexcel leather; it might be due to the fact that I also wear my chromexcel shoes in wet environments.post #2833 of 73761/25/13 at 1:45pmpost #2834 of 73761/26/13 at 3:18ampost #2835 of 73761/26/13 at 9:38am
- Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Currently, there are 1341 Active Users (293 Members and 1048 Guests)
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 56 seconds ago
- › Eidos Napoli 1 minute ago
- › ***Story Et Fall Thread*** 7 minutes ago
- › SZ 9.5D Alden x JCrew #8 shell & White's Semi Dress boots 8 minutes ago
- › P Johnson Suit 10 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 10 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › A1923 AW15/16 ST3 DUAL ZIP SIZE 41 CULATTA/NERO 16 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 20 minutes ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 20 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015