All relying on stretch tells me is the boot/shoe was too small to begin with.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 7/30/15 at 4:51pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- John Lobb Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 6:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- Wolverine Austen Lace Up 1000 Mile Last post on 9/15/12 at 11:19am in Classic Menswear
- Stylish F/W Boots Suggestions? Last post on 9/4/12 at 6:05pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 7/22/15 at 2:19am in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 189post #2821 of 73571/25/13 at 5:42am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2822 of 73571/25/13 at 6:19amMy experience with stretching is that it's a very foot specific business, and that a shoe/boot may stretch laterally to become more comfortable, but never length wise. I have a wide foot, so boots that don't come in wide sizes tend to be a bit narrow, but CXL/Shell will stretch enough so that they become nice fitting, and it doesn't matter if the sides of my foot are touching the sides of the boot, as long as the pressure isn't too much. This is preferable than shoes that are 100% comfortable at first, but then stretch and now are too big. For me, 9.5D's start comfortable, and 9D's start uncomfortable. My 744 9's are now absolutely perfect, and the length in the toe isn't too bad. The 9.5D's I suspect, would be too big.
If you have a long, narrow foot, though, you'll find that a snug fit will only come when you don't have enough room in your toes, and that's always going to be uncomfortable. The amount they stretch there will still always result in your toes touching the ends of the boots, which is a Bad Thing.
Also, re: the question of changing the heel with a half-sole, my half-sole is about 4mm, and I didn't change my heel. Bear in mind that 1K's already come with a pretty significant heel compared to dress shoes, so it might be completely unnecessary.post #2823 of 73571/25/13 at 6:27ampost #2824 of 73571/25/13 at 7:09amDon't get me wrong, that kind of advice isn't for someone who actually has a D width foot, but for someone with an extra-wide foot it's essential. Those of us with EEE feet live in a world where shoe fitters constantly tell us "just size up," even at places you'd hope would know better, such as Leffot (twice). Sizing up, especially in unlined shoes/boots, will lead to a shoe that is much too big once they're broken in. My point was that sizing advice, just like shoes, is never "one size fits all," and I was just putting out sizing some guidance for Wide Footers trying to size properly.post #2825 of 73571/25/13 at 8:58ampost #2826 of 73571/25/13 at 9:15ampost #2827 of 73571/25/13 at 9:50ampost #2828 of 73571/25/13 at 10:24amI just got them!
No missing stiches, no wierd stiches pattern, no leather damage... just a really nice pair of boots !!
Thank you Karl and Dave from Crane's Store, it was a real pleasure to deal with you!
A quick pic before they go back in the box waiting for the cobbler:
Looking at this picture make me think about just adding a thin rubber half sole to preserve the leather sole. I want to keep that slim look without adding a big layer.
Edited by rexet - 1/25/13 at 10:37ampost #2829 of 73571/25/13 at 10:35ampost #2830 of 73571/25/13 at 11:05ampost #2831 of 73571/25/13 at 11:46ampost #2832 of 73571/25/13 at 12:46pmQuote:
I agree. For me, I don't accommodate for stretch for any type of shoe with the exception of chromexcel shoes. All my dress shoes from Edward Greens to Aldens fits perfectly to begin with and being snug or loose is a sign of an ill-fitting shoe. Its just that for some reason I do experience a noticeable amount of stretch for chromexcel leather; it might be due to the fact that I also wear my chromexcel shoes in wet environments.post #2833 of 73571/25/13 at 1:45pmpost #2834 of 73571/26/13 at 3:18ampost #2835 of 73571/26/13 at 9:38am
- Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
Currently, there are 898 Active Users (125 Members and 773 Guests)
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 10 minutes ago
- › All Things Hippity and Hoppity 12 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 45 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 47 minutes ago
- › Tour De France is Boring 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › Ute Ploier grey mohair long cardigan size M 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › What music are you listening to lately? 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...