All relying on stretch tells me is the boot/shoe was too small to begin with.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- John Lobb Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 5:19 pm in Classic Menswear
- Wolverine Austen Lace Up 1000 Mile Last post on 9/15/12 at 11:19am in Classic Menswear
- Stylish F/W Boots Suggestions? Last post on 9/4/12 at 6:05pm in Classic Menswear
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 189post #2821 of 76251/25/13 at 5:42ampost #2822 of 76251/25/13 at 6:19amMy experience with stretching is that it's a very foot specific business, and that a shoe/boot may stretch laterally to become more comfortable, but never length wise. I have a wide foot, so boots that don't come in wide sizes tend to be a bit narrow, but CXL/Shell will stretch enough so that they become nice fitting, and it doesn't matter if the sides of my foot are touching the sides of the boot, as long as the pressure isn't too much. This is preferable than shoes that are 100% comfortable at first, but then stretch and now are too big. For me, 9.5D's start comfortable, and 9D's start uncomfortable. My 744 9's are now absolutely perfect, and the length in the toe isn't too bad. The 9.5D's I suspect, would be too big.
If you have a long, narrow foot, though, you'll find that a snug fit will only come when you don't have enough room in your toes, and that's always going to be uncomfortable. The amount they stretch there will still always result in your toes touching the ends of the boots, which is a Bad Thing.
Also, re: the question of changing the heel with a half-sole, my half-sole is about 4mm, and I didn't change my heel. Bear in mind that 1K's already come with a pretty significant heel compared to dress shoes, so it might be completely unnecessary.post #2823 of 76251/25/13 at 6:27ampost #2824 of 76251/25/13 at 7:09amDon't get me wrong, that kind of advice isn't for someone who actually has a D width foot, but for someone with an extra-wide foot it's essential. Those of us with EEE feet live in a world where shoe fitters constantly tell us "just size up," even at places you'd hope would know better, such as Leffot (twice). Sizing up, especially in unlined shoes/boots, will lead to a shoe that is much too big once they're broken in. My point was that sizing advice, just like shoes, is never "one size fits all," and I was just putting out sizing some guidance for Wide Footers trying to size properly.post #2825 of 76251/25/13 at 8:58ampost #2826 of 76251/25/13 at 9:15ampost #2827 of 76251/25/13 at 9:50ampost #2828 of 76251/25/13 at 10:24amI just got them!
No missing stiches, no wierd stiches pattern, no leather damage... just a really nice pair of boots !!
Thank you Karl and Dave from Crane's Store, it was a real pleasure to deal with you!
A quick pic before they go back in the box waiting for the cobbler:
Looking at this picture make me think about just adding a thin rubber half sole to preserve the leather sole. I want to keep that slim look without adding a big layer.
Edited by rexet - 1/25/13 at 10:37ampost #2829 of 76251/25/13 at 10:35ampost #2830 of 76251/25/13 at 11:05ampost #2831 of 76251/25/13 at 11:46ampost #2832 of 76251/25/13 at 12:46pmQuote:
I agree. For me, I don't accommodate for stretch for any type of shoe with the exception of chromexcel shoes. All my dress shoes from Edward Greens to Aldens fits perfectly to begin with and being snug or loose is a sign of an ill-fitting shoe. Its just that for some reason I do experience a noticeable amount of stretch for chromexcel leather; it might be due to the fact that I also wear my chromexcel shoes in wet environments.post #2833 of 76251/25/13 at 1:45pmpost #2834 of 76251/26/13 at 3:18ampost #2835 of 76251/26/13 at 9:38am
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Currently, there are 964 Active Users (116 Members and 848 Guests)
- › WAYWRN Composite -- 25 thumb minimum 3 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 13 minutes ago
- › 2016 50 Book Challenge 13 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 23 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 26 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 27 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 28 minutes ago
- › TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): SPRING-SUMMER EDITION 30 minutes ago
- › What would look good under this jacket? 33 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 36 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding