I did too. I has this image of a spandex & 1K boot clad Mario battling the elements .
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- John Lobb Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 6:21 pm in Classic Menswear
- Wolverine Austen Lace Up 1000 Mile Last post on 9/15/12 at 11:19am in Classic Menswear
- Stylish F/W Boots Suggestions? Last post on 9/4/12 at 6:05pm in Classic Menswear
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 163post #2431 of 758312/13/12 at 1:10pmpost #2432 of 758312/13/12 at 3:44pmpost #2433 of 758312/13/12 at 5:18pmpost #2434 of 758312/13/12 at 5:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by LA Guy
Just a headsup that we will be auctioning a pair of the original Wolverine 1000 mile boots, in any color, any size, and an accompanying Filson vest, courtesy of our good friends at Crane's, this Friday, on this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/326778/subscribe-now-ongoing-daily-auction-thread-for-the-ronald-mcdonald-house-holiday-drive/50_50
Yes, you guys should subscribe to that thread. Lot's of good stuff is going to be auctioned off for a good cause, the Ronald McDonald House, which houses families of children who have to travel for medical treatment.
Looks like this is going to actually happen next week...post #2435 of 758312/13/12 at 6:13pmpost #2436 of 758312/13/12 at 6:38pmpost #2437 of 758312/13/12 at 7:09pmpost #2438 of 758312/13/12 at 8:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by h0rse27
I purchased some Wolverine 1000 Mile Krause boots (factory seconds) from the Allen Edmonds outlet store and was a bit disappointed when I received them in the mail.
What I got
This is what I was expecting.
Aren't the 1000 Mile Krause boots suppose to come with the brown soles? I liked them a lot better with the color contrast of the black leather on brown soles and stitching. from the
Could be that's why it's a second?post #2439 of 758312/13/12 at 8:12pmQuote:
Yes. The Krause is Horween Dublin leather and is NOT the same as most leathers. Dublin is Essex leather (tanned like shell) with a waxy finish There is a reason AE is making the Krause. Dublin is also used in the AE rough collection which I have 3 shoes in, and all 3 leathers have a slightly different finish. Just as the Krause in russet is a different leather finish than the tan.
A word of caution, I normally use Obenhauf’s leather oil on my bison leather boots, and occasional use it to touch up in between applications of HDLP on chrome tanned boots. When I was treating several pairs of bison boots I decided to also treat my AE rouch collection Black Hills with the leather oil. And the next day it looked like the leather Gods had puked all over my shoes. It took 2 weeks of saddle soaping them every night to get them back to normal. You have to be careful in using products on exotic leathers like Dublin.
I was hoping the Krause would be like the Elgin which is very waxy and a great color and finish IMO.
AE says for care of the Elgin: These types of leathers can be cleaned using a damp cloth to remove dirt and any residue. Follow by using a soft cloth to apply Allen Edmonds Leather Lotion , which has been specifically formulated for these leathers.
That is it, just water and AE leather lotion which is the same as Bicks 4.
For my McTavish it says: Use Allen Edmonds Conditioner Cleaner to remove surface residue and to keep leather soft and pliable. Follow by applying Allen Edmonds Saddle Soap which cleans all smooth leather shoes while restoring the leather's natural oils.
When I got my McTavish one shoe was a bit darker than the other, and yes they are firsts. The overall color was a bit lighter than I hoped just like the tan Krause. The leather between the McTavish and Krause is pretty much identical from what I can tell. seer had already treated his McTavish with neatsfoot oil to darken them so despite the issues with the Black Hills and oil figured it was safe. It was and by using a couple of extra coats on the lighter shoe I was able to match them both:
Elgin on left, McTavish on right with right shoe being darker out of the box:
After leveling out the color with neatsfoot oil:
The Krause were the same, one was slightly lighter than the other. Using saddle soap helps break the finish up so that any product applied can more evenly sink in. When dying leather shoes a deglazer is used but I would not use such a product on Dublin leather, the saddle soap is safe. In this case I used shoe cream instead of neatsfoot oil to even the color out. I was happy with the color that the cream provided and I finished with wax paste polish. It turned out very well. And they have a much better finish and protection against the elements than out of the box which is a lot more of a dress boot finish than a work boot.
Good luck and any questions shoot me a PM.post #2440 of 758312/14/12 at 6:25ampost #2441 of 758312/14/12 at 3:08pmpost #2442 of 758312/14/12 at 3:36pm
I ordered a pair in rust from Crane's on Monday and got them Wednesday, incredible service! When I first put them on the first thing I noticed was how soft and supple the leather was. Then I started walking around and although they felt great in the toe they were tight around the heal and my feet killed me. I had read about people saying these things needed no break in so I started to worry that I should have ordered a half size up. Well, after a few hours that went away. I'm now 3 days in on these and I love them. It started raining here today (I should have checked the weather) and I wish I would have worn my Vibram soled Red Wing chukkas instead I'm not worried about hurting the boots, but myself; I almost slipped and fell a couple times in my shop. But now it's got me considering a topy sole, or maybe I should just pay closer attention to the forecast and wear my beat up Red Wings in crappy conditions.
I'm so happy with my purchase. I've been lusting after a pair for months, but I didn't see the need. I'm glad I finally picked up a pair. I'm thinking of getting a pair in brown so I can mix it up. I also wish that there was a plain toe oxford version available; I don't know if I care for the cap toe that Orvis is selling.post #2443 of 758312/14/12 at 4:54pmQuote:
They aren't all the same height. Count the eyes and hooks when comparing them. Same number means about the same height. The rest you can figure out from there.post #2444 of 758312/15/12 at 10:01ampost #2445 of 758312/15/12 at 10:40amQuote:
Just got a pair in today, will try to take some pics soon.
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 3 minutes ago
- › Fragrance Top 10 4 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE 29 June 2016 - The "What the hell was I thinking"... 6 minutes ago
- › Can someone tell me if these Lacoste jeans are authentic? 7 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 7 minutes ago
- › Viberg Brown Waxed Flesh Service Boot 10.5 10 minutes ago
- › Name the boots 10 minutes ago
- › Zegna Labels ID's for eBay purchasers (Graphic Intensive) 14 minutes ago
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding