I did too. I has this image of a spandex & 1K boot clad Mario battling the elements .
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 6/22/15 at 12:36pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- John Lobb Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 2:21 pm in Classic Menswear
- Wolverine Austen Lace Up 1000 Mile Last post on 9/15/12 at 11:19am in Classic Menswear
- Stylish F/W Boots Suggestions? Last post on 9/4/12 at 6:05pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 6/16/15 at 11:43am in Classic Menswear
Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 163
Styleforum Top Picks
Just a headsup that we will be auctioning a pair of the original Wolverine 1000 mile boots, in any color, any size, and an accompanying Filson vest, courtesy of our good friends at Crane's, this Friday, on this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/326778/subscribe-now-ongoing-daily-auction-thread-for-the-ronald-mcdonald-house-holiday-drive/50_50
Yes, you guys should subscribe to that thread. Lot's of good stuff is going to be auctioned off for a good cause, the Ronald McDonald House, which houses families of children who have to travel for medical treatment.
Looks like this is going to actually happen next week...
I purchased some Wolverine 1000 Mile Krause boots (factory seconds) from the Allen Edmonds outlet store and was a bit disappointed when I received them in the mail.
What I got
This is what I was expecting.
Aren't the 1000 Mile Krause boots suppose to come with the brown soles? I liked them a lot better with the color contrast of the black leather on brown soles and stitching. from the
Could be that's why it's a second?
Yes. The Krause is Horween Dublin leather and is NOT the same as most leathers. Dublin is Essex leather (tanned like shell) with a waxy finish There is a reason AE is making the Krause. Dublin is also used in the AE rough collection which I have 3 shoes in, and all 3 leathers have a slightly different finish. Just as the Krause in russet is a different leather finish than the tan.
A word of caution, I normally use Obenhauf’s leather oil on my bison leather boots, and occasional use it to touch up in between applications of HDLP on chrome tanned boots. When I was treating several pairs of bison boots I decided to also treat my AE rouch collection Black Hills with the leather oil. And the next day it looked like the leather Gods had puked all over my shoes. It took 2 weeks of saddle soaping them every night to get them back to normal. You have to be careful in using products on exotic leathers like Dublin.
I was hoping the Krause would be like the Elgin which is very waxy and a great color and finish IMO.
AE says for care of the Elgin: These types of leathers can be cleaned using a damp cloth to remove dirt and any residue. Follow by using a soft cloth to apply Allen Edmonds Leather Lotion , which has been specifically formulated for these leathers.
That is it, just water and AE leather lotion which is the same as Bicks 4.
For my McTavish it says: Use Allen Edmonds Conditioner Cleaner to remove surface residue and to keep leather soft and pliable. Follow by applying Allen Edmonds Saddle Soap which cleans all smooth leather shoes while restoring the leather's natural oils.
When I got my McTavish one shoe was a bit darker than the other, and yes they are firsts. The overall color was a bit lighter than I hoped just like the tan Krause. The leather between the McTavish and Krause is pretty much identical from what I can tell. seer had already treated his McTavish with neatsfoot oil to darken them so despite the issues with the Black Hills and oil figured it was safe. It was and by using a couple of extra coats on the lighter shoe I was able to match them both:
Elgin on left, McTavish on right with right shoe being darker out of the box:
After leveling out the color with neatsfoot oil:
The Krause were the same, one was slightly lighter than the other. Using saddle soap helps break the finish up so that any product applied can more evenly sink in. When dying leather shoes a deglazer is used but I would not use such a product on Dublin leather, the saddle soap is safe. In this case I used shoe cream instead of neatsfoot oil to even the color out. I was happy with the color that the cream provided and I finished with wax paste polish. It turned out very well. And they have a much better finish and protection against the elements than out of the box which is a lot more of a dress boot finish than a work boot.
Good luck and any questions shoot me a PM.
I ordered a pair in rust from Crane's on Monday and got them Wednesday, incredible service! When I first put them on the first thing I noticed was how soft and supple the leather was. Then I started walking around and although they felt great in the toe they were tight around the heal and my feet killed me. I had read about people saying these things needed no break in so I started to worry that I should have ordered a half size up. Well, after a few hours that went away. I'm now 3 days in on these and I love them. It started raining here today (I should have checked the weather) and I wish I would have worn my Vibram soled Red Wing chukkas instead I'm not worried about hurting the boots, but myself; I almost slipped and fell a couple times in my shop. But now it's got me considering a topy sole, or maybe I should just pay closer attention to the forecast and wear my beat up Red Wings in crappy conditions.
I'm so happy with my purchase. I've been lusting after a pair for months, but I didn't see the need. I'm glad I finally picked up a pair. I'm thinking of getting a pair in brown so I can mix it up. I also wish that there was a plain toe oxford version available; I don't know if I care for the cap toe that Orvis is selling.
They aren't all the same height. Count the eyes and hooks when comparing them. Same number means about the same height. The rest you can figure out from there.
Just got a pair in today, will try to take some pics soon.
- Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 6 seconds ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 49 seconds ago
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Ring Jacket Japan 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 10 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 11 minutes ago
- › NOS Levis Jeans 36x34 from 1984 11 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 12 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...