or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 153

post #2281 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddoso View Post

So I finally took the plunge and bought a pair of the 1000 Mile based on this thread (I know...I am not the only one).  Trying to get some expert opinion on something that I noticed:  When I place the shoes on a level surface (e.g. a table), with the heels in full contact with the table, there is actually a gap between the bottom (leather sole) and the table.  Put it in another way, if I place the shoes on the table, there is actually a gap between the heel (towards the very end) and the table.  This is as if the heels are angled.  Is this suppose to go away after the shoes are fully broken in, or is this by design?

 

that's normal.  when you put your weight on it, the heel will flatten out.

 

I also find that it takes a bit of use until the heels on my shoes wear into the way I walk... dunno if that makes sense, but I can tell by the feel when I walk if the shoe is brand new.  Eventually the edges of the heel wear in to make everything fit my gait.

post #2282 of 6532
I wore my 1ks in the rain today and the water is mostly just beading up and rolling off, but after i got inside to a dry area i noticed that my boots are absorbing a small amount of the water still in certain areas. I sno sealed twice very liberally. Does that mean i didnt get enough sno seal penetration and that i should do it again?
post #2283 of 6532
I've had my 1Ks for a year, with moderate wearing during that time; is it too late to put a half sole on them?
post #2284 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMFanatic View Post

I wore my 1ks in the rain today and the water is mostly just beading up and rolling off, but after i got inside to a dry area i noticed that my boots are absorbing a small amount of the water still in certain areas. I sno sealed twice very liberally. Does that mean i didnt get enough sno seal penetration and that i should do it again?

Nope, it's getting into the surface a bit which is no big deal. Now if your feet are wet then that's a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post

I've had my 1Ks for a year, with moderate wearing during that time; is it too late to put a half sole on them?

Talk to the cobbler for that one.
post #2285 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga View Post

 

that's normal.  when you put your weight on it, the heel will flatten out.

 

I also find that it takes a bit of use until the heels on my shoes wear into the way I walk... dunno if that makes sense, but I can tell by the feel when I walk if the shoe is brand new.  Eventually the edges of the heel wear in to make everything fit my gait.

Thank you.

 

I wonder if that has to do with the design facilitating the motion of walking (rolling from heel to toe), similar to the toe area being lifted?

post #2286 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post

In the store we have Irish Setter's Elk Tracker boots insulated and not insulated. Both have a Goretex liner. It's a really decent boot for the money. Full grain leather, Goodyear welt, aggressive multi terrain lugs, 12 inches high so decent protection from briars and snakes with fangs and it doesn't weigh six tons. It's definitely heavier than an upland boot but as it's name suggests it's geared for Elk country. Oh and it has a scent blocker as well. Rus Moc makes an awesome boot, so does Filson and Browning.
Now just so you know there's a reason why I no longer buy insulated boots or ones with Goretex. With the exception of wool once the insulation gets wet it's useless and it traps water so not only are your feet cold they're wet and cold. Goretex is great as long as you don't sweat a lot or step in water and flood them. Unlike a plain old boot they aren't going to drain so until you take them off guess what you'll be doing? So with this said I just go out with a simple leather uninsulated boot with a good lugged sole and match them up with a good wool sock designed for the temperatures I'll be in. If and it seems like it always happens you have to cross a stream or underestimate how deep the water really is and you flood your boots it's no big deal. You take off your boots and set them so they drain, take off your socks, wring them out (or get your spare pair out of your pack), put them back on and then put your boots back on. Your feet will feel dry, they'll be warm and you'll be no worse for the experience. This is one of the most well known tricks in the hiking world but it seems to be the biggest secret to anyone else.

Cheers cranes, I will check out the Irish Setter next time I'm at Cabelas. 

post #2287 of 6532
Long time reader and wanted to let everyone know I just found a pair of new Addison's at Nordstrom Rack for $169.the only thing is it does not come with the box, but for that price who cares.[IMG]
post #2288 of 6532
I would love to see a well worn pair of these, but seems like everyone here babies them.
post #2289 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

I would love to see a well worn pair of these, but seems like everyone here babies them.

Got a couple posts for you:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/163864/wolverine-1000-mile-boot-review/1410#post_5595144

This thread is littered with Crane's pictures of his boots after being beat up and then cleaned. That's only one of his posts.

Then there's this from Cold Iron:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/163864/wolverine-1000-mile-boot-review/2265#post_5939842
post #2290 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

I would love to see a well worn pair of these, but seems like everyone here babies them.

As already said, that's one thing nobody can say about me. More pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dysong/sets/72157626359294046/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dysong/sets/72157625089358107/
post #2291 of 6532

When these boys are not in use, would it make sense to use a shoe tree? Or would that sap some of the moisture out of the leather?

post #2292 of 6532

Got my boots in from Crane's last night.  Looks like the commonly accepted advice of sizing down 1/2 size didn't work for me.  Wear a 9.5 in pretty much everything, bought a 9 in these.  With some light, padded socks (Smartwool New Rib Classics) they were pretty snug on the top of my foot and the width.  Borderline uncomfortable on the left boot.  Dave at Crane's was great to deal with.  Talked to him this morning and he's ordering me some 9.5's and the 9's are already on the way back to him.  On the off chance that they end up a little large after break in I'll just add an insole but I'm pretty sure they'll be perfect as is.  Now just need to be patient....

post #2293 of 6532
These are the soles of my brand new Wolverine 1000 Miles after 1 application of lexol conditioner, sitting 1 day, another application of lexol conditioner, sitting a few days, an application of filson boot oil, sitting a few days, and then a careful but heavy application of Obenhauf Heavy Duty LP and a hair dryer on "warm" and moving constantly ... strictly following Crane's guide ... then only 2 days spent walking on moist pavement in NYC (carefully wiping the boots down once I got back to the apartment, plus cedar shoe trees).
 
Should the stiching look like this? It seems very damaged already and I'm worried they won't last even a month. As I'm walking on pavenment I can almost hear the shoe being carved apart. These pictures are from when its still fairly moist, but it doesn't look THAT much better now that they're dry again.
 
Right boot (my shoes always wear out on the right first because of my gait):
 

 

 

 

Left boot:

 

 

 

post #2294 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by promiscuousbone View Post

When these boys are not in use, would it make sense to use a shoe tree? Or would that sap some of the moisture out of the leather?

It won't hurt them any. Just make sure they are dry on the inside before you put them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD521 View Post

Got my boots in from Crane's last night.  Looks like the commonly accepted advice of sizing down 1/2 size didn't work for me.  Wear a 9.5 in pretty much everything, bought a 9 in these.  With some light, padded socks (Smartwool New Rib Classics) they were pretty snug on the top of my foot and the width.  Borderline uncomfortable on the left boot.  Dave at Crane's was great to deal with.  Talked to him this morning and he's ordering me some 9.5's and the 9's are already on the way back to him.  On the off chance that they end up a little large after break in I'll just add an insole but I'm pretty sure they'll be perfect as is.  Now just need to be patient....

Patience is a virtue. LOL! I'm not sure how or why all of this size down talk started but it is not something someone should automatically do. I have dealt with a lot of sizing questions and I've recommended a half size down to a half size larger. Never ever have I recommended a full size down.

Now just a quick update....

I have been wearing my brown 1Ks every day for at least 2 or 3 months now. These have been around for 3 years already and I'm thinking I'm going to keep right on wearing them like this until Spring. More torture testing. One of these days they'll die, I doubt it'll happen any time soon even wearing them day in and day out.

You know I've been thinking. Wolverine should make me their official spokesperson and torture tester. I also think they should make a limited edition original 1K in natural or whiskey shell with my world famous Raptor/lugged heel half sole factory installed. I'm not sure what to name it but I'm sure I could come up with something interesting..... then again









perhaps I should concentrate my efforts on getting a shot that makes the cover of Nat Geo. That's probably easier to do and more realistic.
post #2295 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post

I also think they should make a limited edition original 1K in . . . whiskey shell with my world famous Raptor/lugged heel half sole factory installed.
I would buy this immediately.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review