what about the boot oil they sell at the Red Wing store? same stuff?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- John Lobb Appreciation Thread Last post on 10/19/16 at 11:39pm in Classic Menswear
- Wolverine Austen Lace Up 1000 Mile Last post on 9/15/12 at 11:19am in Classic Menswear
- Stylish F/W Boots Suggestions? Last post on 9/4/12 at 6:05pm in Classic Menswear
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care GuideLast edited: 8/10/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 119post #1771 of 771810/9/12 at 6:38pmpost #1772 of 771810/9/12 at 6:39pm
someone on reddit posted this from rei about sno-seal and leather bootsQuote:
Q: What about using Sno-Seal?
A: Unlike water-based formulas used by Nikwax and Granger's, Sno-Seal is a beeswax-based waterproofing paste. Introduced in 1933, it is manufactured by South Carolina-based Atsko, Inc., and is marketed at outdoor stores under the Tectron label.
Designed originally for boots worn by hunters and outdoor laborers (loggers, for example), Sno-Seal is a waterproofing product with a large following. It carries one drawback: If applied to the leather used in nearly all modern leather hiking boots, those boots cannot be resoled, says cobbler Dave Page.
"You just can't work on the boots after it's on the leather," Page says of Sno-Seal. "Most hiking boots today are made of dry-tanned leather that uses chromium salts and chromium sulfates. Modern uppers sit down on top of sole units and are glued on, not stitched. To get soles to stick to the glue line, you have to be able to get the leather absolutely clean.
"Sno-Seal, Mink Oil, Neatsfoot Oil are all products that work fine as waterproofing, but they're formulated for oil-tanned leather--leather from 60 years ago," Page says. "There's just something that's in Sno-Seal that gets impregnated in dry-tanned leather. I don't know what it is. Once it's in there you can't clean it out and the leather will just not accept adhesives."
Not every hiker considers resoling their backpacking boots. If you deeply love a pair of boots and anticipate a lifelong relationship with them, though, it's best to bypass Sno-Seal. "I think Sno-Seal is an awfully good waterproofing product," says Page, who does not carry Sno-Seal in his shop. "It works fine if as long as you put it on boots that you don't care if they ever get resoled."
Judging from the thread I guess this isn't a problem for 1000 mile boots.post #1773 of 771810/9/12 at 8:09pmpost #1774 of 771810/9/12 at 8:14pmpost #1775 of 771810/9/12 at 8:21pmpost #1776 of 771810/10/12 at 11:32amQuote:
I have always thought it was an and/or relationship as the LP contains oils. Indeed, Obenauf's indicate that the oil can be used as touch-up between LP applicationspost #1777 of 771810/10/12 at 12:26pmQuote:
my limited understanding is that goodyear welts require adhesive in addition to the stitching. I guess if the adhesive doesn't need to stick to the part where the sno-seal's applied, this is irrelevant. chrome excel does use chrome salts. happily, since people in this thread seem to have had no problems with resoling it doesn't seem to be an issue.post #1778 of 771810/10/12 at 12:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by ZenSilk
New to the forums right here, been lurking a ton for a long time!
I actually just recently LP'd my Tan 1000's. I did not treat them right out of the box before I wore them, per Crane's rec. because I really enjoyed the color. I was worried it would be annoying, but it's a very versatile smooth and creamy color that is vibrant and goes well with my pant collection (Raw indigo denim, tan cords, various chinos, slim wool trousers). I will try to get pics ASAP (sun is starting to set here) of my boots (unfortunately no before shots). I wiped them down with a slightly damp cloth and went over them with a small dab of saddle soap. The chromexcel was still supple and well-enriched before I LP'd them, but I figured they deserved a nice tasty Obenauf's treat. Like you might be, I was worried the LP would completely change the beautiful tan color ( I have used sno-seal countless times and know what it can do). I applied two light-medium coats of LP, no hairdryer used, just the warmth of my fingers. The boots did darken, but instead of going to a darker heavy brown as I was kind of expecting, much to my delight the color change yielded a very gorgeous Copper-like color. I like it even more than the original color personally.
Congrats on your purchase, I'll grab some pics when I can!
Thanks. I can't wait to see them and i'll probably take the same approach. I might also half sole it as it seems bit slippery on certain surfaces. There seems to be a lot of love on here for the brown and black 1000's but not so much for the tan.
Edited by oneTwo - 10/10/12 at 4:48pmpost #1779 of 771810/10/12 at 3:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by mellowllama
my limited understanding is that goodyear welts require adhesive in addition to the stitching. I guess if the adhesive doesn't need to stick to the part where the sno-seal's applied, this is irrelevant. chrome excel does use chrome salts. happily, since people in this thread seem to have had no problems with resoling it doesn't seem to be an issue.
Chromexcel is chrome tanned and then it's vegetable tanned. So it's loaded with oils and waxes. I'm not sure where the confusion seems to be coming from.Quote:
Tan is my favorite leather color. It ages oh so well. I've been trashing my brown 1Ks for a while now and will probably switch to the tan boots until the snow flies. By then they'll need to be resoled and then I'll probably go with the 721s for a while.post #1780 of 771810/10/12 at 3:30pmpost #1781 of 771810/11/12 at 12:43amQuote:Did you take any side by side pictures of them? My local store only has Rust so I can't make the comparison.Originally Posted by djwoblely
I ended up buying both the Rust and Brown. They are very close to being the same color. The rust is like a shade and a half lighter maybe. I haven't put obenaufs or oil on it yet tho but I would assume it would get close to the browns color. I prefer the lighter color of the rust. Is there a way to somewhat keep them from not turning brown keeping the rust even with obenauf's or sno seal?
I ended up putting the browns on the B&S forum. I just needed to see them next to each other to decide which ones to keep.post #1782 of 771810/11/12 at 9:12ampost #1783 of 771810/11/12 at 11:21ampost #1784 of 771810/11/12 at 5:12pmQuote:
any chance you could post some pics of the courtlands? especially some with you wearing them with jeans and chinos, from various angles.
there is a nothing but product shots so far on the net.post #1785 of 771810/11/12 at 5:54pm
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Shell Cordovan Wallet Pron 44 seconds ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 1 minute ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other... 2 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 4 minutes ago
- › Paul Stuart Gun Check Blazer 38 5 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...