or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 99

post #1471 of 6449

So, after browsing this thread, I picked up a pair of 1,000 Mile boots at a store here in Austin. I checked them for defects before purchasing, but after I took them home, I noticed one thing: this one stray, wide stitch hole on the side of one boot.

 

1000

 

 

 

What do you all think? Does this look like a defect?

 

It did to me. The weird thing is... I already sent them back to Wolverine, and they said it is "just part of the stitching on the medial side of the boot," even though it is not present on other boots. Does this sound legit?

I don't really care about the appearance, but it IS a hole in the boot that doesn't seem like it should be there, so I am worried about it widening or tearing further. Thoughts?

post #1472 of 6449
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga View Post

 these look very nice, are they sized the same as the boots?

In my experience, no. The oxford's for me ran TTS whereas I size down .5 in the boots.
post #1473 of 6449
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga View Post

can we get a full fit pick when you get a chance?  these look very nice, are they sized the same as the boots?

Have these from Orvis and I would say yes, but to me they feel even looser since you don't have the ankle tightness you get from boot lacing. If you didn't size down a full size on your boots, I'd definitely do it with these. Possibly even with an insole.

edit ^^ having read the above I'm not sure who you should believe...

I have Brannock measured 11B feet. I wear a 10.5 in the boot with a thick insole and they still feel loose. I have a 10.5 in the oxford and wear with a thick insole, thick tonguepad and thick socks and they still feel a bit loose. I think some of that probably comes from the thick insole resulting in heel slippage though. I really want to find a completely flat insole for them (ie no raised heel whatsoever) as I need to fill in some space without raising the heel.

I do think you'll want an insole though... they have no padding in the footbed at all.
post #1474 of 6449
Another day of walking a shoreline in knee deep water and mud. Found a few good points, discovered some poison ivy and got eaten alive by bugs but the boots are doing fine. This time around we stuck to the flats instead of going up and down bluffs so they aren't all scuffed up. They're still a bit damp this morning but other than that you would never know what I did. More importantly is the fact that they are still structurally sound.
post #1475 of 6449

Mr. Crane, could you please comment on my issue?

 

I've bought the two-toned Addison in 8.5. They fit pretty good length-wise (have enough space in the toe-box), and comfortably snug width-wise, but the point where the vamp joins to the tongue is very tight on my instep, too tight to wear. I've heard that this is not an issue on the Original 1000 Mile boot — because of the single piece of leather on the vamp. What size Original boot would you suggest to order? Stay with 8.5 and hope that it won't be tight at the tongue, or get a 9? Thanks.

post #1476 of 6449
I want to DOUBLE SOLE my 1000 Mile Boots - has anyone done it before?
post #1477 of 6449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Allen View Post

Mr. Crane, could you please comment on my issue?

 

I've bought the two-toned Addison in 8.5. They fit pretty good length-wise (have enough space in the toe-box), and comfortably snug width-wise, but the point where the vamp joins to the tongue is very tight on my instep, too tight to wear. I've heard that this is not an issue on the Original 1000 Mile boot — because of the single piece of leather on the vamp. What size Original boot would you suggest to order? Stay with 8.5 and hope that it won't be tight at the tongue, or get a 9? Thanks.

 

 

Check to be sure the bottom part of the tongue (below where it is stitched to the vamp) is not folding down when you put your foot in.  I had this problem when I first got my second pair, and I had to shove my finger in there to flatten it out for the first couple days.  

 

edit: I guess its actually the top part of the vamp that was folded down where it meets the tongue.  Also, this was on the original 1000 mile, but figured it would be worth checking.


Edited by digga - 8/2/12 at 5:11am
post #1478 of 6449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Allen View Post

Mr. Crane, could you please comment on my issue?

I've bought the two-toned Addison in 8.5. They fit pretty good length-wise (have enough space in the toe-box), and comfortably snug width-wise, but the point where the vamp joins to the tongue is very tight on my instep, too tight to wear. I've heard that this is not an issue on the Original 1000 Mile boot — because of the single piece of leather on the vamp. What size Original boot would you suggest to order? Stay with 8.5 and hope that it won't be tight at the tongue, or get a 9? Thanks.

Hmmmm, did you size down? By any chance do you have a high arch? Another thing that worries me is you say they are comfortably snug width wise. How tight are you lacing them up?
post #1479 of 6449

digga, that doesn't seem to be an issue with my pair, but thanks for the input! I'll keep it in mind if I get another pair.

 

Crane, well, I did size down at least half a size (it is hard to be precise, I usually wear 9-9.5, more likely a 9), because I bought them before I've read this thread with your advise. As for the lacing — it does not matter. I could pull the laces out and it still would be tight in the mentioned area. And I don't think I have a high instep — I've never had any problems of that kind. "Wet test" shows normal results, too.


Edited by Moody Allen - 8/2/12 at 5:57am
post #1480 of 6449

unintended doublepost

post #1481 of 6449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Allen View Post

digga, that doesn't seem to be an issue with my pair, but thanks for the input! I'll keep it in mind if I get another pair.

Crane, w
ell, I did size down at least half a size (it is hard to be precise, I usually wear 9-9.5, more likely a 9), because I bought them before I've read this thread with your advise. As for the lacing — it does not matter. I could pull the laces out and it still would be tight in the mentioned area. And I don't think I have a high instep — I've never had any problems of that kind. "Wet test" shows normal results, too.

The boots are too small. If you have a place to try these on follow my advice on how to get the size right and you'll have no problem. From what you're saying I would say you might be between a 9 and 9.5. If that's the case opt for the larger size. Adding an insole or wearing thicker socks will fix the slightly loose feeling if it bugs you. It'll also make the boots much more comfortable on long walks.
post #1482 of 6449

Thank you. I think I will try a 9. Unfortunately, I have to order them online, so it well be guessing again. Hope it works this time!

 

(why do they suggest sizing down everywhere, anyway?...)

post #1483 of 6449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Allen View Post

Thank you. I think I will try a 9. Unfortunately, I have to order them online, so it well be guessing again. Hope it works this time!

(why do they suggest sizing down everywhere, anyway?...)

Because there's a big difference between street wear use and factory or construction use. Work boots are designed with more room to accommodate thick socks and swelling feet. I'm also inclined to think that people who wear shoes all the time think boots should feel the same way. They shouldn't.
post #1484 of 6449

Hey guys. Few pics of my 2 month old (30 wear) Brown originals.

 

Treated with Obenauf's LP before first wearing.

Very happy with the colour.

 

 

 

 

 

400

 

400

 

400

 

400

post #1485 of 6449

I managed to find a Brannock's, and it says I am a 8 UK (it is a Salomon-branded Brannock). I guess it is the kind of US-1 size, so I must be a true 9. Because, obviously, I can't be a 8.5 US. So I guess 9 size 1000 Miles should be a spot-on?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review