or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review - Page 89

post #1321 of 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

British made 'country' shoes and boots tend to come with a storm-welt, or, more rarely, are made veldtschoen. So it's not 'extreme waterproofing' - it's simply as standard. I really don't see the point in spending a lot on these boots if they're going to crap up after an hour or two.

Given the evident quality, it would have made far more sense for Wolverine to make them veldtschoen - it would make them really interesting and unusual boots - and correspondingly increase their sales. I also don't understand why they didn't put a rubber sole unit on them. No half sizes, which is again pretty crap.

i'm pretty sure they have half sizes. i own a 7.5
post #1322 of 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

I don't see the point in spending a lot on these boots if they're going to crap up after an hour or two...

They won't. Treat the upper leather and GY welt with a waxed based product (Obenauf, MPB, etc. and all the others recommended here) and they are very water resistant. Only a waterproof/breathable membrane is truly waterproof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

Given the evident quality, it would have made far more sense for Wolverine to make them veldtschoen - it would make them really interesting and unusual boots - and correspondingly increase their sales...

Far more sense to you but maybe not for everyone. Different construction methods like you mention could also increase production costs, driving up the retail price which could decrease sales. The mfr must choose which features that appeals to the largest customer base while keeping the product at a particular price point.

Clearly the 1k's don't have the features you want (different construction method, rubber sole, aesthetics, etc.), perhaps a different brand will suit your needs better. Red Wing may offer the rubber sole option if you like their looks. After trying on RW's I found the out of the box comfort and necessary break-in to be in the 1k's favor. However, I plan on resoling with a rubber/composite sole before next winter

At a higher pice point, try Whites. They'd make a boot with virtually anything you want...with the exception of the veldtschoen construction. That may be a tall order.

Good luck!

These are two yrs old.. I don't wear them much in summer but they see 3season wear and lots of snow, ice, rain. I use Obenauf's wax (not the boot oil). They've held up very well...as expected.

LL

LL
post #1323 of 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

British made 'country' shoes and boots tend to come with a storm-welt, or, more rarely, are made veldtschoen. So it's not 'extreme waterproofing' - it's simply as standard. I really don't see the point in spending a lot on these boots if they're going to crap up after an hour or two.
Given the evident quality, it would have made far more sense for Wolverine to make them veldtschoen - it would make them really interesting and unusual boots - and correspondingly increase their sales. I also don't understand why they didn't put a rubber sole unit on them. No half sizes, which is again pretty crap.

You should look at Crane's posts throughout this thread. He beats the hell out of his 1K's, including standing in water, and they have held up rather impressively. He does treat them with waterproofing wax, so there is some work involved. Also, several people have had them resoled with various rubber soles; someone in the 721 (cordovan 1K) thread even had his resoled with Dainite.

As patrick_b says, if you expect these properties out of the box, then these may not be for you. But even veldtschoen construction is not going to be completely waterproof.
post #1324 of 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

...and correspondingly increase their sales.
 

Orvis says on their website of the 1k Miles: "The best-selling boot in Orvis history."

Revolve and elsewhere are constantly sold-out in popular sizes, as well.

 

I think they hit their mark fairly well laugh.gif

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

These are two yrs old.. I don't wear them much in summer but they see 3season wear and lots of snow, ice, rain. I use Obenauf's wax (not the boot oil). They've held up very well...as expected.
 
<snip>

 

Beautiful!

post #1325 of 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

British made 'country' shoes and boots tend to come with a storm-welt, or, more rarely, are made veldtschoen. So it's not 'extreme waterproofing' - it's simply as standard. I really don't see the point in spending a lot on these boots if they're going to crap up after an hour or two.
Given the evident quality, it would have made far more sense for Wolverine to make them veldtschoen - it would make them really interesting and unusual boots - and correspondingly increase their sales. I also don't understand why they didn't put a rubber sole unit on them. No half sizes, which is again pretty crap.

Again, if you need to consistently soak your boots in heavy rain/snow storm for two hours continuously time after time, you are looking at the wrong boots. Even your trusty veldtschoen boots are not designed for swimming. If you see a storm, I suggest you not to expose yourself out for two hours, no matte what you are wearing. Stay home, find a shelter or get into a coffee shop if you are out.

If you are not aware, these 1000 mile boots are built to replicate the original 1000 mile boots built designed more than a century ago. You can easily name dozens of newer technologies not built into these boots. Hey, you can even say it doesn't kick the ball as well as a pair of Adidas soccer boots.
post #1326 of 6894
Don't get me wrong, the boots are clearly excellent quality. The leather quality was the draw for me.

I'm going to check out a pair in London and see what they look like.

Have a look at this excellent article and the pictures. Wolverine, Barbour welt?

http://www.archivalclothing.com/2010/10/archival-shocker-heritage-footwear-for.html

Zoom in on the first pic (1949). I saved it to my PC then enlarged it somewhat.

The Barbour welt can still be found on Tricker's.

https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/Tricker_s/Custom_Made_Options/

The boots may not be as authentic as they claim to be!
Edited by rabiesinfrance - 6/10/12 at 2:58am
post #1327 of 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

Don't get me wrong, the boots are clearly excellent quality. The leather quality was the draw for me.
I'm going to check out a pair in London and see what they look like.
Have a look at this excellent article and the pictures. Wolverine, Barbour welt?
http://www.archivalclothing.com/2010/10/archival-shocker-heritage-footwear-for.html
Zoom in on the first pic (1949). I saved it to my PC then enlarged it somewhat.
The Barbour welt can still be found on Tricker's.
https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/Tricker_s/Custom_Made_Options/
The boots may not be as authentic as they claim to be!

They are definitely not really 100% authentic, but they do try to capture the overall construction and feel of the originals. Just as the current Red Wings 877 and 875. They may look like what they were 50 years ago, upon close inspection you can notice a lot of details that are different.

The leather is definitely great, in terms of durability and how comfortable it is. Horween Chromexcel it is afterall. (But they can't keep a dressy look for long, unlike Shell Cordovan... and they will look rough pretty fast). But if the boots don't have the features you want, why don't you go for other alternatives? There are many boots made with Horween Chromexcel, and some are even noticeably better made (notably some of the Aldens).
post #1328 of 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

You should look at Crane's posts throughout this thread. He beats the hell out of his 1K's, including standing in water, and they have held up rather impressively. He does treat them with waterproofing wax, so there is some work involved. Also, several people have had them resoled with various rubber soles; someone in the 721 (cordovan 1K) thread even had his resoled with Dainite.
As patrick_b says, if you expect these properties out of the box, then these may not be for you. But even veldtschoen construction is not going to be completely waterproof.

A walk in the rain for two hours? Been there dozens of times with all three pair of my 1Ks with no problem at all. Of course all of them have been sno sealed and are regularly maintained for waterproofness. In this thread and my 721LTD thread I have pictures of me standing in ankle deep water or have talked about doing so for an entire day. Most of the time that happens when I'm fishing or walking river gravel bars looking for artifacts. The only time I've gotten wet feet is when I fully immerse the boots while walking in knee deep water. Yeah that's right, I have fully submersed these boots with no problems down the road.

In other news.

I went on a little vacation for a few days and brought along my old trusty brown 1Ks. I cleaned them up with a wet sponge and tossed them in the trunk of the car. Didn't wear them but when I got home the heat from the trunk brought up some of the waxes back to the surface. A little brushing and man do they look good! I'll post a pic later once I get motivated and take care of a few things.

The 721s are done. I looked at them before I left town and the resole job is awesome. They got my world famous lugged heel and Raptor half sole treatment. On the downside Chris wasn't able to do much with the crunched toe box but oh well. He also buffed them up on his wheel and conditio0ned them. Ugh, now it'll be a month before I get them to shine up again but at least the leather is well treated. LOL! I'll talk more about the resole job later as well in my 721 thread.
post #1329 of 6894
I'd make the following improvements:

1. Add a Barbour welt or a storm welt.
2. Add a rubber soled option.
3. Change the single leather to double leather, better to take a tip to the toe.
4. Ensure the stitches are channelled in the leather sole.
5. Change the colour of the white stitching - it looks crap.
post #1330 of 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

I think make the following improvements:
1. Add a Barbour welt or a storm welt.
2. Add a rubber soled option.
3. Change the single leather to double leather, better to take a tip the toe.
4. Ensure the stitches are channelled in the leather sole.

 

The Austens maybe be a little more rugged to your tastes: http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/29385M/0/Mens/Austen-1000-Mile-Lacer?dimensions=0

post #1331 of 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

I'd make the following improvements:
1. Add a Barbour welt or a storm welt.
2. Add a rubber soled option.
3. Change the single leather to double leather, better to take a tip to the toe.
4. Ensure the stitches are channelled in the leather sole.
5. Change the colour of the white stitching - it looks crap.

#1 As I said it's not necessary. Buy a pair, waterproof them and find out for yourself if you don't believe me. I only have about three years worth of documentation in this thread as proof that a storm welt or a Barbour welt is unneccessary.
#2 I doubt that will happen to the US made line of 1Ks. I suppose you could have it done when it's time to resole them. My cobbler said it could certainly be done since I was contemplating having a pair resoled with a logger's sole. I decided against it since it would make the boot appear unbalanced as far as aesthetics are concerned.
#3 That's also not necessary. Chromexcel is tough as nails. About the only thing better would be kangaroo but that's not going to happen either.
#4 They are.
#5 Most work boots are stitched using a white thread. These are work boots.
post #1332 of 6894
Pictures of my nearly 3 year old original pair of brown 1Ks. Along with the boots are my Gfeller Casemakers Moleskine field notebook, Pilot Custom 74 fountain pen and of course my Saddleback satchel. Many a mile in whatever conditions the day throws at me and everything is still looking good and performing way above my expectations...

The patina on the boots is just awesome and getting better all the time. My satchel is starting to darken nicely as well. Give it a few more years and it'll start looking good.

Brown 1Ks 3 years later detail (2)

Brown 1Ks 3 years later detail (1)
post #1333 of 6894
^

Those look awesome!

The ONLY thing I would change about the 1K miles is to add an extra colour option - a GT-like cordovan. I may get a Vibram half-sole on mine someday, but will probably stay with the more street-dressy flat sole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post

About the only thing better would be kangaroo but that's not going to happen either.

OT: I have a pair of ADF-issue Terra boots with a mix of kangaroo & cowhide. The 'roo is on a side-panel for flex, but rough-out cowhide on the heel and toe for durability.
post #1334 of 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post

Pictures of my nearly 3 year old original pair of brown 1Ks. Along with the boots are my Gfeller Casemakers Moleskine field notebook, Pilot Custom 74 fountain pen and of course my Saddleback satchel. Many a mile in whatever conditions the day throws at me and everything is still looking good and performing way above my expectations...
The patina on the boots is just awesome and getting better all the time. My satchel is starting to darken nicely as well. Give it a few more years and it'll start looking good.
Brown 1Ks 3 years later detail (2)
Brown 1Ks 3 years later detail (1)


This is what makes the Wolverine an awesome boots!

I have an Addison Tan in BS thought to offer here to fellow Wolverine owners.
post #1335 of 6894
hey guys im from singapore and was wondering if revolve is the best place to get the 1k's? but there's no options to choose the width?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review