...and here's the promised update on the rust boots that took some abuse a few weeks ago. As you'll see, the results are mixed.
First, I cleaned the boots with lexol cleaner. I had to do several passes to pull out all the dirt. Obviously, the original finish has been totally removed in places.
Next I gave the boots 2 generous coatings of Obenauf's Leather Oil, allowing the boots to dry for about 90 mins between applications. They sat overnight and the next afternoon I gave the boots a good buffing. As you can see, the damaged areas darkened back up. Because the finish was so thoroughly worn away, they haven't and likely won't return to their original color.
Not exactly good as new. But, the leather looks and feels healthy and the damage seems cosmetic. I'll apply melonian cream (probably brick) and wear them around a few weeks to see how close I can get these spots to blend. I now see these as project boots. If they continue to look bad I'll likely dye the uppers black. I need a black boot, and the black over the rust could bring up some interesting results.