or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Opinions on this tie...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Opinions on this tie... - Page 2

post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Blame it on that weak-ass dollar, but 55GBP is 100.79USD at last check.
That includes VAT, though, so it would be under $100.

Manton and I operate from different vantage points. I consider any tie over $10 expensive.
post #17 of 37
I like it too and would pair it with a gray POW plaid suit with a deco windowpane and a blue check shirt.
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC
That includes VAT, though, so it would be under $100.

Manton and I operate from different vantage points. I consider any tie over $10 expensive.
Me too. I hope that I one day enter a world where I -- and the people around me -- can consider $100 cheap for a tie.
post #19 of 37
All of my favorite brands have passed $150 at full retail in the US. I try not to pay full retail, but some brands don't go on sale, and sometimes I see a tie that want badly enough that I don't want to risk waiting for a sale.
post #20 of 37
Okay, I confess I wasn't entirely fair to Manton's earlier statement. Most of the ties I buy are in the $100+ range at retail, too, I just buy them at thrift, consignment and ebay.

I try not to let trivial details like facts get in the way of a quip.
post #21 of 37
I agree with you both. The last few times I've paid full retail for a tie, I've been paying well over $150 (Charvet 7-fold (yikes!), H&B, Marinella). However, my frame of mind is still that of shopping at Marshalls', where a tie over $20 seems expensive. I have this fear where the statement "I consider ties under $100 to be cheap" could be a 21st-century "Let them eat cake"... "Let them wear Charles Hill"...
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman
I agree with you both. The last few times I've paid full retail for a tie, I've been paying well over $150 (Charvet 7-fold (yikes!), H&B, Marinella). However, my frame of mind is still that of shopping at Marshalls', where a tie over $20 seems expensive. I have this fear where the statement "I consider ties under $100 to be cheap" could be a 21st-century "Let them eat cake"... "Let them wear Charles Hill"...
OK, then let's amend the statement to, "A top quality tie that goes for less than $100 at full retail is a good value."
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton
OK, then let's amend the statement to, "A top quality tie that goes for less than $100 at full retail is a good value."
No, that sounds like something some grubby lawyer would make you say. I prefer the first statement.
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton
All of my favorite brands have passed $150 at full retail in the US. I try not to pay full retail, but some brands don't go on sale, and sometimes I see a tie that want badly enough that I don't want to risk waiting for a sale.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Drake's was pretty high on your list. Aren't they still retailing for $110?
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Drake's was pretty high on your list. Aren't they still retailing for $110?
I like Drake's. I have not bought one in a while. I'm not even sure who carries them under the "Drake" label in NY these days, as they tend to come and go. However, I know that Drake does private lable work for several smaller stores or stores-within-stores, and all of those are in the $150 range.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I like it too and would pair it with a gray POW plaid suit with a deco windowpane and a blue check shirt.


Update to my styleforum members dossier:

Andrew Portnoy- incredible tastes in shoes, very questionable tastes in mixing patterns.
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton
I like Drake's. I have not bought one in a while. I'm not even sure who carries them under the "Drake" label in NY these days, as they tend to come and go. However, I know that Drake does private lable work for several smaller stores or stores-within-stores, and all of those are in the $150 range.

Could you name names of some of their private label work, if it's not a industry secret.
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton
I like Drake's. I have not bought one in a while. I'm not even sure who carries them under the "Drake" label in NY these days, as they tend to come and go. However, I know that Drake does private lable work for several smaller stores or stores-within-stores, and all of those are in the $150 range.

Interesting. I just took a brief gander at the Ben Silver website, and they have a reasonably generous selection of Drake's, none of which is more expensive, at full retail, than $115.
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Could you name names of some of their private label work, if it's not a industry secret.
Flusser and Mimmo Spano, at least. Not all of what they offer, but some.
post #30 of 37
Thread Starter 
Drakes ties are nicely made and the silks are top notch. Some of the patterns are painfully boring, however. I bought a Drakes tie in Milan recently for EUR85 that I like well enough. In London, some really nice Drakes are found at Emma Willis for GBP85 a pop (very expensive) and at Liberty (can't remember the price).

In NY, one can find Drakes at BG. But they cut them around 2.5 inches wide -- so basically unwearable. Paul Stuart sells some, although the snotty tie saleswomen I spoke to told me in a patronizing way: "sir, all our ties are made by Paul Stuart." To which I responded, I did not realize that PS had a tie making factory. She walked off in a huff. Then returned to tell me that she did not know the vendors that make their ties. (I freakin' hate Paul Stuart). Barney's sells a decent selection of Drakes ties and bowties. Saks had a few this season labelled as Michael Drake. Cenci carries some ties under their own label by Drakes. I would imagine Herzfeld may carry some, although I have not been to that store in years. I think Oxxford may carry some as well, under their own lable I presume. In the US, you can expect to pay between $125 and $135 per tie. Oh yeah, I think Drakes makes some of the ties under the Spano label at Saks. Very nice, but they run $175!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Opinions on this tie...