or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tuxedo Jacket
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tuxedo Jacket

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quick question... Should a tux jacket be ventless or have a vent. I am new to this forum, and I am just starting to build my wardrobe, so I am learning as I go. Thanks for the input.
post #2 of 27
Either is OK. (Though avoid the center vent.) Probably no vents is more traditional, but side vents are fine.
post #3 of 27
From a purely pragmatic standpoint, if you're going to be doing any sitting down in your dinner jacket, a vented jacket is far more practical.
post #4 of 27
I'm all for the ventless, personally. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, it lends a cleaner, minimalist look which I think makes the dinner jacket so great in the first place.
post #5 of 27
For the same reason the trousers lack cuffs, I would vote "no vents".
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by callen
Quick question... Should a tux jacket be ventless or have a vent. I am new to this forum, and I am just starting to build my wardrobe, so I am learning as I go. Thanks for the input.

Two vents is preferable - ultra traditional ie old fashioned is none.
post #7 of 27
no vents
post #8 of 27
Depends on how much of a traditionalist you are. Not having a vent creates a more formal look and that's why it's more traditional. Side vents, on the other hand, are more practical as they prevent the back of the jacket from riding up when you put your hands in your pockets. A single rear vent was designed for horseback riding so not only is it informal but it also has a tendency to open up and reveal your derriere when you put your hands in your pockets. (Some might say it's bad form to place one's hands in one's pockets but the gentleman in my avatar would disagree!)
post #9 of 27
Thread Starter 
This is for my wedding. I am trying for a very traditional look. My basic plan is black tux, white custom fit tuxedo shirt, black bow tie, cumberbun, pants with no cuffs, and a white piece of linen.

One last question. Do I need to wear (rent) patent shoes. I don't like them, I own a pair of Alan Edmunds Park Ave shoes that I usually just polish very well. Thoughts?
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by callen
This is for my wedding. I am trying for a very traditional look. My basic plan is black tux, white custom fit tuxedo shirt, black bow tie, cumberbun, pants with no cuffs, and a white piece of linen.

One last question. Do I need to wear (rent) patent shoes. I don't like them, I own a pair of Alan Edmunds Park Ave shoes that I usually just polish very well. Thoughts?
Buy patent leater plaintoe balmorals
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by callen
One last question. Do I need to wear (rent) patent shoes. I don't like them, I own a pair of Alan Edmunds Park Ave shoes that I usually just polish very well. Thoughts?

Spit shine the Park Avenues... to a mirror shine if you can manage it. No need to purchase patent leather bals unless you'll have the opportunity to wear your tuxedo more than a few times a year.
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Spit shine the Park Avenues... to a mirror shine if you can manage it. No need to purchase patent leather bals unless you'll have the opportunity to wear your tuxedo more than a few times a year.

I agree. I rather prefer black calf to patent leather. There is historical precedence for this, as there is for the ventless dinner jacket.

Besides, if you wear a dinner jacket often then pumps would be the way to go.
post #13 of 27
My mistake I thought the Park Aves were bluchers but they're bals

I still think it would be better to at least buy a plaint toe bal
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by callen
This is for my wedding. I am trying for a very traditional look. My basic plan is black tux, white custom fit tuxedo shirt, black bow tie, cumberbun, pants with no cuffs, and a white piece of linen.

One last question. Do I need to wear (rent) patent shoes. I don't like them, I own a pair of Alan Edmunds Park Ave shoes that I usually just polish very well. Thoughts?

Swap out the cummerbund for a vest.
post #15 of 27
Don't the pants need a single ribbon as well? Without one, a black-tie outfit just looks... odd (I've also worn full military dress uniform #1, blue pants with a thick red-stripe... without the red stripe it just wouldn't work)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tuxedo Jacket