or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPad - Page 40

post #586 of 815
Hahaha. *dreading having to install Win 7 on his new build next week when it's done. I know I'm going to be knee deep in driver hell. Shit.
post #587 of 815
I installed win7 on both of my laptops and have had zero compatibility issues. The only thing I had to download was the nvidia driver for my graphics card. Trust me, you'll nevre go back to xp/vista.
post #588 of 815
Yeah, from other people who build their own though I've heard some pretty bad stuff. Like having to look for drivers for the motherboard and whatnot. I'll see next week. I've got Win 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 amd64 ready to go.
post #589 of 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
Yeah, from other people who build their own though I've heard some pretty bad stuff. Like having to look for drivers for the motherboard and whatnot. I'll see next week. I've got Win 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 amd64 ready to go.

I built my own, and the only problem I had was using what I THOUGHT was an empty HDD, but was, in fact, my sole hard copy of the last 7 years of photos and my movie script that I'd just put there a few days before so I wouldn't lose them. Whoops.
post #590 of 815
What you running now Tokyo? I took a plunge and went for a Gigabyte mobo over Asus, invoking the ire of all my geek friends but damn....the Gigabytes just seem like they are so well built! Oh yeah, iPad, ontopic, I won't be buying one.
post #591 of 815
Windows 7 was by far the most painless OS install I've ever encountered. Ran the install, formatted the drive, waited about 20 minutes, installed video drivers, ran update, finished. Some minor OS tweaking here and there but otherwise very, very simple. I feel that as long as you don't have incredibly ancient, or bleeding edge hardware, you should be fine with the pre-packaged driver support. If not, Windows update and grabbing latest drivers from hardware manufacturer websites are easy enough, with the latter possible to prepare beforehand.

Back to iPad, I have friends who bought or were given iPads and after the novelty wore off they've been largely unused of late. I don't see the appeal of a $500+ paperweight. I've also yet to see one in the wild here in NYC.
post #592 of 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
What you running now Tokyo? I took a plunge and went for a Gigabyte mobo over Asus, invoking the ire of all my geek friends but damn....the Gigabytes just seem like they are so well built!

Oh yeah, iPad, ontopic, I won't be buying one.

I installed it on my media system, which is running ancient hardware. Single core socket 939/generic micro atx Asus clone.

Nothing fancy. Still running vista on my " newer" dual core Intel.
post #593 of 815
Shouldn't have any problems with drivers for Win 7. Even the 64 bit version was for the most problem problem free for me. Tried out the iPad today. So much potential wasted. Shame.
post #594 of 815
may have posted this already but i don't know. i have a raging hadron collider for the gemini pad. http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/06/i...mplete-tablet/
post #595 of 815
So the 3G version has been released. Interested in hearing how many units were sold.
post #596 of 815
1 million total as of Friday (the day the WiFi+3G was released): http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/05/03ipad.html
post #597 of 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbie View Post
So the 3G version has been released. Interested in hearing how many units were sold.
300,000 3Gs sold at launch per cnet that number includes the pre-orders, but the report says 49 of 50 stores that were surveyed, reported they were sold out of the 3G. pretty impressive.
post #598 of 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post
300,000 3Gs sold at launch per cnet

that number includes the pre-orders, but the report says 49 of 50 stores that were surveyed, reported they were sold out of the 3G. pretty impressive.

I'm seeing reports on the web that people are seeing lots of units available at Best Buy.

I'm aware that I may be very wrong - especially seeing as how it's Apple who does very well - but it is my opinion that after this initial sales period (followed by the burst when it's released internationally) sales are going to die down a fair bit.
post #599 of 815
I picked one up on Friday. Just walked right in to the Upper West Side store around 6:30. No line to get in or to buy.

All in all I think it's very nice. There are some annoying head-scratchers, however, like no shuffle mode in music playback. WTF?
post #600 of 815
^ Shuffle button should be to the right of the progress bar when playing a track. You can also scroll up when you're at the top of the list in Songs view, to reveal a hidden "Shuffle" entry.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › iPad