• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Animated Film

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Computer animated, hard drawn etc.
I know everyone raves about UP, I'm going to go with Ratatouille.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Fantastic Planet, aka Savage Planet.

Also, Wizards will always have a warm place in my heart. I love the older animation.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
The Fantastic Planet, aka Savage Planet.

Also, Wizards will always have a warm place in my heart. I love the older animation.

What is Savage Planet about? I've never heard of it.

DukesofStratosphear

Reaction score
I love the recent Pixar stuff too, but there's something about the old, scratchy, hand-drawn Disney films that is so endearing. So my vote goes to The Jungle Book.

Technically speaking, making those older films without the aid of computers is something bordering on genius IMHO. The ability of the artists to create fluid, realistic movement using such archaic techniques was very impressive.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DukesofStratosphear
I love the recent Pixar stuff too, but there's something about the old, scratchy, hand-drawn Disney films that is so endearing. So my vote goes to The Jungle Book.

Technically speaking, making those older films without the aid of computers is something bordering on genius IMHO. The ability of the artists to create fluid, realistic movement using such archaic techniques was very impressive.

I agree. Equally impressive is to realize Akira was done by hand while you are watching it. Simply amazing, still to this day IMO.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Probably not the best, but my favorite.

51VXTYRSE2L.jpg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ratatouille? Seriously?

Yes to Fantastic Planet.

Add:
Fritz the Cat
Snow White
Yellow Submarine
Spirited Away
Heavy Traffic
Gulliver's Travels
The Jungle Book
The Iron Giant
Pinocchio

lefty

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it bad that I haven't seen Yellow Submarine? LOL.

As far as Disney, I want to scream out WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL?!....

But...I do recall really enjoying Beauty and the Beast when it came out.

I also left out Nightmare Before Christmas...a classic of course.

Honorable Mention goes to Heavy Metal.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
The original cut of the thief and the cobbler, before majestic and miramax butchered it. richard williams spent 26 years drawing each frame by hand. the original animation was beautiful.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sunror

Reaction score
Ratatouille is correct. not a perfect movie, pretty loose in the middle, but the only pixar movie that is cathartic.

I'd put Bambi second, and the two Toy Story films after it.

I actually saw Fantastic Planet (i think it was called Savage Planet) at the theater, and while it's animation and world are cool, it offers little else. it's about Monsters Inc. level despite their totally different styles.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pinocchio
Iron Giant
Spirited Away
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
The Adventures of Prince Achmed

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know what the best one is. I found the following enjoyable: Short animation film: "Father and daughter".
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

HHD

Reaction score
Spirited Away (never mind best animated, it's one of the best films I've ever seen)
The Hedgehog in the Fog
Princess Mononoke
La Planète Sauvage (good call, javyn)
Princes et Princesses (Michel Ocelot)
Les Aventures du Prince Ahmed (Lotte RÃ
00a9.png
iniger)

Ratatouille is fabulous. I love the Jungle Book too. Some of the old Disney films have marvellous scenes: The sequence in Sleeping Beauty when the fairy godmothers put everyone in the castle to sleep is just beautiful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads