• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which car to get - Land Rover LR3 vs. MDX vs. Ford Explorer?

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife is expecting our third kid in April, and I need a 7 seater now (you can't fit 3 car seats in the back of a sedan since the carseats are so big)...

I plan on gettting a used (most probably a 2006-2008) with low mileage, and I test drove all 3...

Any thoughts?

I'm leaning toward the LR3 since I've always wanted a Land Rover...

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whusurdadi
My wife is expecting our third kid in April, and I need a 7 seater now (you can't fit 3 car seats in the back of a sedan since the carseats are so big)... I plan on gettting a used (most probably a 2006-2008) with low mileage, and I test drove all 3... Any thoughts? I'm leaning toward the LR3 since I've always wanted a Land Rover...
Land Rover is a ****, I recommend you must not to buy this! Is better you must to consider other!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you check Consumer Reports vehicle reviews on these vehicles? Honestly, that's going to be your best source for real information about these choices. You'll never get a reasonable answer from the rest of the internet.

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Did you check Consumer Reports vehicle reviews on these vehicles? Honestly, that's going to be your best source for real information about these choices. You'll never get a reasonable answer from the rest of the internet.

I have checked...just curious if anyone here has any experience with either...good and bad...

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love land rovers but prob won't ever own another one after all the **** my range rover had go wrong on a pretty constant basis.

ford ******.

i guess the Motherly Driving Xperience is probably the safest bet out of the three. a buddy of mine had one and never had issues as far as i know.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Out of those three, MDX for sure, Rover second (buy the warp around extended warranty) and the Explorer last. I had an LR3 and it performed flawlessly. Still, I'd not trust having one without the warranty.

MDX is a very dependable vehicle, and the 2010 even looks decent.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of the three, the MDX is the most reliable and has the best resale value. If you get a Land Rover, you'll get to know your service manager very well.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like the looks and features of the LR and was admiring them last Sunday, but for reliability, the MDX would be the safer choice. Nevertheless, if it were me, I'd get the LR.

RustyRyan

Reaction score
I have a 08 Land Rover and just had the whole backend replaced because of problem with the differential, under warranty fortunately. I agree you will get to know your service manager quickly, do not get a LR without an extended warranty. Having said that, i love it...

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do all your choices suck so bad?

Of the three the MDX is the least mediocre.

tc6

Reaction score
I would go with the MDX without question.

Land Rover LR3 will offer the most features and be the most luxurious, but it is also insanely unreliable. You'll have sensors and electronic mishaps on a frequent basis.

Fords Explorers have generally become above average reliability wise, however, they're not the smoothest or the most refined out there.

Acura MDX won't have too much offroad capability(not that you would go offroading in most cases) but it is the most reliable, has great handling/power distribution and looks great.

However, if you could afford to run it(gas, main. costs) I would consider the Lexu GX470. It combines the positives of the LR3 and MDX, without any of the negatives from either.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The MDX, of the 3 choices you posted.

Regards.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Out of the three, the MDX is the most reliable and has the best resale value. If you get a Land Rover, you'll get to know your service manager very well.
This ^^^. End threak. You should take a look at the X5, BMW has the best warranty maintenance / program of any car brand.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
This ^^^. End threak.

You should take a look at the X5, BMW has the best warranty maintenance / program of any car brand.

He's not looking for a new one.

A used one is fine, but just keep an eye out on whether the maintenance has ended. I don't remember when, but BMW switched from a 3yr/36k to a 4yr/50k free maintenance program recently. And it'll likely be more expensive than the MDX for the same year model, all else being equal.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go for the MDX out of the three you have listed. I haven't heard anything good about Land Rovers and Ford is, well...Ford. I'd also second the recommendation for an X5. Volvo's XC 90 is a good choice too. I have 3 friends who own XC 90s and have nothing but good things to say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads