or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Resolved: The Black Suit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Resolved: The Black Suit - Page 2

post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
So are Helmut Lang customers simply smarmy men who swindle?
And they apparently post on internet forums!
post #17 of 48
So does this thread apply to just suits that are all black? I bought one of the Isaia suits off STP that's black with a very subtle pinstripe and was curious.

-Jeff
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelan
So does this thread apply to just suits that are all black? I bought one of the Isaia suits off STP that's black with a very subtle pinstripe and was curious.

-Jeff

From what I've gathered, this discussion only applies to completely black suits. I think a pinstripe acts to make the suit a little less formal and therefore negates the purpose of the rule against black suits.
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias
And they apparently post on internet forums!
No wonder eBay is so successful.
post #20 of 48
I own a black suit -- a 3-button SB MTM made from a black patterned fabric from Wain Shiell -- that I like to wear with a black polo shirt on Fridays. I think the subtle pattern helps throw off the "funeral suit" image.

My two other black suits (SB and 6-button DB) are solids and reserved strictly for funerals and other somber events.
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn
Great blog FNB, I liked reading that a lot. Would you mind expounding on why black isn't good on a pale person? Does it always make us look like Dracula? I guess I've gotten immune to seeing it...and what colors does a pale, high contrast person look good in? Besides the obvious, trite grey and navy...not that those are bad, but I could do with a little variety.

Hey Javyn. That wasnt my observation it was Flusser's. We spoke about the black suit a little. I wanted his opinion on it. It isnt that he thinks pale people shouldnt wear it, its people without contrast. Pale people with dark hair can wear it, pale people with medium to light hair shouldnt. Personally, I like it on blonde women so I dont necessarily see why its bad on men with that color.
post #22 of 48
hm. that discussion again.
i think I "feel" that manton is right. i see so many black suits at daytime in business meetings. and it just doesn't look good. "oily" or even "cheap" come to my mind. there might be some suits and garments that look alright but in general i still think that black is a bad choice for a daytime suit (given that there are so many better choices).

my 2 cents.

max
post #23 of 48
It also doesn't help that black cloth looks bad under fluorescent lighting.
post #24 of 48
In my country a black suit with a white shirt(without a tie) or a white T-shirt is considered ultra cool among advertisement people. If you also got a shaved head it's really top of the pops.
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias
It also doesn't help that black cloth looks bad under fluorescent lighting.
Good point. However, every skin tone and every fabric look sickly under fluorescent lighting.
http://whatareyouwearingtoday.blogspot.com/
post #26 of 48
I'll say it again: nice black suits can look good, but cheap black suits look really cheap.
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
I'll say it again: nice black suits can look good, but cheap black suits look really cheap.


I agree, and with black, nice often equates with soft and usually textured. Fabrics that yield add depth which is why crepes and high performance cloths (not always textured) are used. Fabrics that do not hold the black dye are not recommended like silk which never seems to take black well and linen which looks great before the first time its dry cleaned.

Cashmere is a very good choice both worsted and flannel. Flannel is also a good choice. The Italians seem to have a better sense of "midnight black" so mills like zegna come out with that handsome, rich black tint for fabrics.
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
I agree, and with black, nice often equates with soft and usually textured. Fabrics that yield add depth which is why crepes and high performance cloths (not always textured) are used. Fabrics that do not hold the black dye are not recommended like silk which never seems to take black well and linen which looks great before the first time its dry cleaned.

Cashmere is a very good choice both worsted and flannel. Flannel is also a good choice. The Italians seem to have a better sense of "midnight black" so mills like zegna come out with that handsome, rich black tint for fabrics.

Wool/mohair blend = great black.
post #29 of 48
I absolutely love black suits...

I have 5, one shawl lapel one button tuxedo, wool 100 and mohair, one linen for summer, one standard wool for standard use, one 120's wool for special ocassions, and one Italian slim fit, low rise suit for nights out in the discos...

also I have a black blazer and a black trench... oh and a black dockers and one black lacoste cardigan... and they fit me superbly right and I look sharp on them... spicing them up with colorful shirts and socks...


Well I live in Europe and here black is a color... and a hot one !
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
I'll say it again: nice black suits can look good, but cheap black suits look really cheap.
Yeah, guys, can we please stop generalizing about black suits before somebody gets hurt?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Resolved: The Black Suit