• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light grey vs black suit

cdumas10

Reaction score
So I need help deciding on a black or light grey suit. I will be using the suit
for weddings, holiday functions and maybe nights out. I will not
use the suit for work or any work related activities. I have a dark charcoal and chocolate brown
suit for these situations.
I will be getting the suit made in a madmen type styling, (narrow lapels, fitted and high arm holes) 2 buttons, double vented. I will also have a waist coat made. I'm leaning towards the light grey as more shirt, shoe and belt combinations will work with it, however, I'm unsure how "off" I'll look at a night time weddings. It's hard to beat a black suit and white shirt at night. Keep in mind that people will show up at the weddings in slacks and shirt only.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
750MidGrey.jpg

cdumas10

Reaction score
are you suggesting a dark grey/charcoal suit? I understand it would be the best option, however,
I already own a charcoal suit in a very classic cut. I'm hoping to get a different color as I'd like to expand my suit collection.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
then get a navy suit

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy%20Blue%20Swatch.gif

ferguscan

Reaction score
Navy is your friend. Navy is the ultimate versatile suit.

DeanCorso

Reaction score
then get a navy suit
Navy is your friend. Navy is the ultimate versatile suit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY4Vi...eature=related

It's like the bodysnatchers around here. Men can look good in colors other than charcoal and navy. There's a reason they still make fabric in other colors.

And he's not looking for "the versatile suit." Cdumas has quite clearly expressed that he's comfortable with his suit options for those situations where navy and charcoal and blending-in is required. He's looking for the unorthodox, something that stands out from that aesthetic, for functions that allow a little more flexibility.

I think you should decide which will work better with your complexion and hair color and matches the look you're going for with the shirt, ties you like.

Black is obviously not the popular choice around here, but I have an inexpensive (well, dirt cheap, really) custom plain black suit similar to the design you're going with. It isn't the most conservative look, but we aren't always going for that, are we? I've never worn it without receiving compliments.

Lighter gray can look equally great on the right person. It wouldn't go as well on me, but if you think it works for you, it could be a smart look - if perhaps a touch more seasonal.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeanCorso
Men can look good in colors other than charcoal and navy. There's a reason they still make fabric in other colors.

Thank you so much for the education.......................................................

acl1

Reaction score
It might depend on how each of the colors look on you. Do you generally look better in light gray or black sweaters/polos/shirts? It could affect your decision.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdumas10
It's hard to beat a black suit and white shirt at night.

Get the light grey, and wear the charcoal one you already have for going out at night. A black suit may be border-line acceptable in certain situations (although many on this forum will disagree), but it is completely unwearable during the day-time other than to funerals.

raphaelargus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeanCorso
It's like the bodysnatchers around here. Men can look good in colors other than charcoal and navy. There's a reason they still make fabric in other colors.

A lot of the regulars around here definitely seem to get their panties in a bunch if you don't follow their groupthink.

My vote is for light grey.[/I]

centrix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdumas10
It's hard to beat a black suit and white shirt at night.

i never did like this, day or night...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Get the light grey, and wear the charcoal one you already have for going out at night. A black suit may be border-line acceptable in certain situations (although many on this forum will disagree), but it is completely unwearable during the day-time other than to funerals.
This is wrong. Black with a hint of Mohair or a faille weave is a smart look for going out, especially on a younger man. As regards business; black suits are everywhere; look in any high street store, which is indicative because this is where the vast majority of men in get their suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics