or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › My Chan doesn't fit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Chan doesn't fit.

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I have a Chan that I hade made recently in HK (about 2 weeks ago), and after one wearing I have discovered that it is not comfortable through the top of the chest and shoulders. I think the arm holes need to be raised at least, and possibly other modifications to the shoulders and upper arm.

Anyone have experience having Chan suits altered when they come here? I figure I will go to him, tell him my concerns, see what we can do about it, and he will bring it back to HK, fix it, and send it back, that about right?

Should I communicate my concerns to him ahead of time?

(In addition the shirt he measured me for and sent later seems fairly tight through the shoulders, even pre-washing, am I stuck?)

Thanks.
post #2 of 7
If you communicate your concerns ahead of time, my experience is that they will want you to mail it back to them (at your cost).

I suggest you bring it next time they are in town without warning them ahead of time. Then they can note changes and take the garment back with them.
post #3 of 7
You didn't catch those problems during the fittings? Yes, of course you should communicate your concerns to them.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
If you communicate your concerns ahead of time, my experience is that they will want you to mail it back to them (at your cost).

I suggest you bring it next time they are in town without warning them ahead of time. Then they can note changes and take the garment back with them.

My experience is the opposite. While they were willing to have me send the suit back to them so they could try and make changes from my directions and from pictures, they preferred the chance to meet with me on their next tour. So I did exactly that, and the alterations were performed to my complete satisfaction.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
You didn't catch those problems during the fittings?

I am new at this, and frankly felt something was not quite right, but I wasn't sure what. (and frankly I was slightly overwhelmed by the whole process, that being my first time 1) in Asia [jetlag and all], 2) in HK, 3) having a custom suit made.) Additionally, I did not think to move around significantly in the coat. When I wear it standing still, it fits nicely, snug, but comfortable. Lesson learned. Hopefully no harm done.

Quote:
Yes, of course you should communicate your concerns to them.

do you think I shoud wait until they get here as well, or let them know ahead of time?
post #6 of 7
If you made the suit in HK, it probably was bespoke, am I right? If so, I am surprised that these problems were not discovered during the fitting process - either by yourself or by the experienced fitters at Chan. Don't get me wrong, your point about jetlag and that you were a newbie in this cutom suit affair were all valid.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My View2
If you made the suit in HK, it probably was bespoke, am I right? If so, I am surprised that these problems were not discovered during the fitting process - either by yourself or by the experienced fitters at Chan. Don't get me wrong, your point about jetlag and that you were a newbie in this cutom suit affair were all valid.

You are right, it was. But it may be less a matter of "it doesn't fit," than I do not find it comfortable. Specifically it has what I have come to understand as low armholes. Perhaps Patrick thought that was what I wanted, perhaps I am confused, all I know is I need to have something done in order to feel comfortable wearing it. I have every confidence in Patrick, and I am sure it will be fixed.

But am I the only person ever to have walked away from a bespoke suit in HK and said... you know, something just isn't right? How do you communicate that, especially when you have a flight the next day?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › My Chan doesn't fit.