• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on the Nakashima style?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the mix of natural and architectural forms.
nakashima_coffee_table_015.jpg
img_2626_1.jpg
pimg_6292.jpg
XXX_nakashima_dibs_025.jpg
102308maura.jpg

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am a pretty huge fran, but I probably get it from repeated exposure and familial bias. My parents are fairly avid collectors and have several "original" pieces from when he was alive and also several "contemporary" pieces from the studio, which continues production under his daughter's guidance.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Big fan, though Nakashima is insanely priced these days. Solo Rago can be a source for rare original stuff. I've been to the studio a few times and met his son. Worth a trip. Douglas, have you priced out their collection? They could be sitting on a fortune. lefty

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Prices are totally insane-o these days, you are correct. The studio is a fun place to walk around, quite beautiful.

The bigger pieces in my folks' collection - including two dinner tables - are contemporary - they're still pricey but not unobtanium. They have some friends though who have some original dinner tables with full conoid chair sets that are probably worth $100Ks.

I think they have a few original chairs, but they also have a coffee table that I remember them buying at auction for $5K. At the time, it was a major reach for them. It has turned out to be a good investment.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it feasible to get some sort of replica of the conoid desk made? Can't really swing the auction/resale prices seeing as how one Nakashima dining chair typically goes for more than I have in my savings account.
seb_nakashima_conoiddesk.jpg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are knockoffs. Or if you know a good cabinet maker he could probably do it.

I still kick myself for not buying Nakashima 10 years ago. Instead I bought Nelson. Gave away the bench and have two large bubble lamps collecting dust in my basement.

ffuuuuuuu...

lefty

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
There are knockoffs. Or if you know a good cabinet maker he could probably do it.

I still kick myself for not buying Nakashima 10 years ago. Instead I bought Nelson. Gave away the bench and have two large bubble lamps collecting dust in my basement.

ffuuuuuuu...

lefty

laugh.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they did a retrospective of his stuff at the Japan-America museum in LA. unbelievably beautiful ... even better in person than in pictures. and one old and very dear friend has a nakashima bench that she bought back in the early 1970s. i make a point of sitting in it ever time i visit. will probably be my only chance.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was at this auction and watched the gavel drop on this.

0001.jpg

1 GEORGE NAKASHIMA Adjustable music stand/podium
with Buckeye burl top on walnut cruciform base.
(A very rare Nakashima form, one of only four known to exist. Provenance available). 49" x 25" x 18"

Estimate: $25,000
Sale Price: $45,000

lefty

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i went out and got this book after the exhibition. if you've got the nakashima bug, it's fascinating. and actually affordable.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wait until you discover Wharton Esherick . . .

hb_1979.320.jpg

lefty

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Wait until you discover Wharton Esherick . . .

hb_1979.320.jpg

lefty

this I like more.

Nakashima seems nice too, but in my view his style is just a slightly modern take on Japanese furniture that has been done for ages.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon

Nakashima seems nice too, but in my view his style is just a slightly modern take on Japanese furniture that has been done for ages.

i think that's the point. You have to see and sit on a Nakashima to appreciate him. They really are beautiful pieces of furniture that somehow feel alive. There are other options for slab furniture. Here are some raw pieces at BDDW:

n_simpleii_bed.jpg

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads