• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor Custom Suits

nycwallst

Reaction score
Hi!

Has anyone by now had a moderntailor.com custom suit made? I'm considering doing one, as they're 1/5 the cost of my current bespoke tailor! Now that I have a suit that fits perfectly, I figured I could just forward them the measurements and...

I'd be curious to know the quality of the fabrics, quality of workmanship, the small details, shape, how they lay, etc.

Anyone??

coltboy75

Reaction score
Below is the response I received from the Modern Tailor forum when I posed a questioned concerning their suits.

#3 (permalink) 12-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Emma
Administrator Join Date: Sep 2009

ModernTailor Suit - Fit Guarantee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments.
If it's your first time to order ModernTailor suit, please order our suit swatches Just put a note that you'd like to order suit swatches so you can have a feel of the material we use.

When you get the suits after a couple of weeks and think that the fit needs alterations, please have it altered in your own local area. Once you have the measurements that you think is perfect for you (as advised by your tailor), then please make another order on our database. We'll send you another suit based on the new measurements you entered for FREE

Emma
ModernTailor Customer Service

nycwallst

Reaction score
Thanks for the response -- they told me similar. But, my main concern beyond the quality of the fabric (which i'll know soon enough when I receive the swatches), is the quality of construction and the fit. I assume nobody has taken the plunge quite yet?

B|aze

Reaction score
Apparantly all their suits should be full canvassed

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
you get what you pay for, more so in MTM/Bespoke clothing. Them asking you to get the fit right and then order again is reason enough not to use them. What is the price, if I may ask? IF you are in NYC, I am sure you can find something better for a similar price.

Starts at $300. I doubt it's fully canvassed.

nycwallst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
you get what you pay for, more so in MTM/Bespoke clothing. Them asking you to get the fit right and then order again is reason enough not to use them. What is the price, if I may ask? IF you are in NYC, I am sure you can find something better for a similar price.

Really? I do live in NYC and I can't find somewhere that will make a 140 thread count suit for $500. My last bespoke suit cost me $3200.

Where would you recommend I go in NYC for a good price?

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nycwallst
Really? I do live in NYC and I can't find somewhere that will make a 140 thread count suit for $500. My last bespoke suit cost me $3200.

Mr. Ned's

coltboy75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Starts at $300. I doubt it's fully canvassed.

I have talked to them in much detail about their suits. They are fully canvassed, pick stitching, functional buttons, choose your lining (although very limited) and they allow for me to be very detailed about the lapel width, placement of interior pockets, etc.

It seems to me it is almost a buy on get one free.

I went to my local tailor last week to have a shirt taken in and he did the measurements for me off the form on their website.

Martin Syb

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am new here and i am french, so please try to be fair play with my English level.
smile.gif

I've just ordered a suit from ModernTailor a couple of days ago and will try to give you a feedback when received.

Before that, i've ordered quite a lot of shirts from them (almost 30 I think).
I've experienced recently their after sale service after an error of their workshop in "interpreting" my measurements. How they have reacted to the problem (well) encouraged me to try their suit service. I've searched some review from customer of their suits but i didn't find anything. So it is a kind of plundge
laugh.gif

NB : I've chosen a first price fabric for the first order of course and as said before by Musicguy, i doubt the jacket is fully canvassed (at this price i think it's impossible).

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Martin Syb
Hi all.

I am new here and i am french, so please try to be fair play with my English level.
smile.gif

I've just ordered a suit from ModernTailor a couple of days ago and will try to give you a feedback when received.

Before that, i've ordered quite a lot of shirts from them (almost 30 I think).
I've experienced recently their after sale service after an error of their workshop in "interpreting" my measurements. How they have reacted to the problem (well) encouraged me to try their suit service. I've searched some review from customer of their suits but i didn't find anything. So it is a kind of plundge
laugh.gif

NB : I've chosen a first price fabric for the first order of course and as said before by Musicguy, i doubt the jacket is fully canvassed (at this price i think it's impossible).

I'm really interested to see pictures once you receive it!

coltboy75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Martin Syb
If it is not too bad I will post pictures
wink.gif

PLEASE!!!!, post pictures regardless of how you think it looks. Did you give them specifics as far as lapel width, 2" cuff, etc.?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll echo what everyone else is saying, please post pics. If it's good, I'll likely jump at the opportunity as well.

Congrats, you're our test subject!!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nycwallst

Who did you use for the 3200 suit?

Modern Tailor is offering basically two suits for $300. Let's look at this logically. That is about 7 yards of fabric, about 20 buttons, 3-4 yards of lining, the innards, plus the manufacture. If you do the math, you can make a pretty strong conclusion about the quality of materials and of the construction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads