or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Measurements: Chest width relation with jacket & coat real size
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Measurements: Chest width relation with jacket & coat real size

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
If your chest measures 40" you likely wear a size 40 (suit) jacket. If you measure the jacket, it is 4” larger than the actual chest measurement, so the real size would be 44".

I was wondering how many inches are added to each kind of garment. 4" seems to be the average for a suit jacket, so you can breath and wear a shirt underneath. What about overcoats, is there an average measure relation too, so you can wear a jacket or cardigan and breath? And sport leather jackets?
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroize View Post
If your chest measures 40" you likely wear a size 40 (suit) jacket. If you measure the jacket, it is 4" larger than the actual chest measurement, so the real size would be 44".

I was wondering how many inches are added to each kind of garment. 4" seems to be the average for a suit jacket, so you can breath and wear a shirt underneath. What about overcoats, is there an average measure relation too, so you can wear a jacket or cardigan and breath? And sport leather jackets?

4" is not average for an RTW suit jacket. 2" is. AFAIK, size up another 2" for an overcoat.

Stuart
post #3 of 10
double post
post #4 of 10
2-2.5" works best for me. I'm (relatively) tall and slim though.
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguscan View Post
4" is not average for an RTW suit jacket. 2" is. AFAIK, size up another 2" for an overcoat.

Stuart

I got the 4" from here. Is it wrong then? -> http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/t...easurement.htm
post #6 of 10
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroize View Post
I got the 4" from here. Is it wrong then? -> http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/t...easurement.htm

I have jackets from Canali, Corneliani, Belvest, and Polo Ralph Lauren (made in USA), amongst others.

They all have chests measuring in the vicinity of 2" above the jacket size. And that's using the guide you linked to.

I believe maybe a very few RTW jackets measure to 4" above the jacket size, but this is retarded and rare.

Stuart
post #8 of 10
I'd say 4" is probably about the upper limit without it looking ridiculous (I'm a size 34 and wouldn't wear anything with >19" pit-to-pit). For a good fit it should definitely be less, though I'm not sure exactly how much.
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguscan View Post
I have jackets from Canali, Corneliani, Belvest, and Polo Ralph Lauren (made in USA), amongst others.

They all have chests measuring in the vicinity of 2" above the jacket size. And that's using the guide you linked to.

I believe maybe a very few RTW jackets measure to 4" above the jacket size, but this is retarded and rare.

Stuart

What about coats? I have an italian leather jacket that is size 42, when I use to wear 38. But when I measured the jacket it was 42", so the label size was the real one. Sometimes you cannot trust the label because it can indicate that the garment is made for people with that body size or that the real jacket size is that.

So +2" for suit jackets and +4" for coats and leather jackets then?
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguscan View Post
double post

Where is the original thread?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Measurements: Chest width relation with jacket & coat real size