or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › First few pairs of shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First few pairs of shoes

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
What would you suggest be a good starter set of shoes to rotate through in my first professional wardrobe? I was thinking:

1) black cap-toed oxford such as the AE Park Avenues
2) a dark brown, though I'm hesitant to purchase another cap-toed --a little help?
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycguy
What would you suggest be a good starter set of shoes to rotate through in my first professional wardrobe? I was thinking:

1) black cap-toed oxford such as the AE Park Avenues
2) a dark brown, though I'm hesitant to purchase another cap-toed --a little help?

Do it. Wear them out while you work your way up. Then buy shoes you love.
post #3 of 13
good idea.

1) black oxford (park avenue, byron, etc)

2) brown derby (I would do a plaintoe like the leeds, or split toe like the bradley or delray or moc toe like the burton. You could even do a wingtip if you wish).
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
good idea.

1) black oxford (park avenue, byron, etc)

2) brown derby (I would do a plaintoe like the leeds, or split toe like the bradley or delray or moc toe like the burton. You could even do a wingtip if you wish).

Perfect suggestion. The two basic building blocks.
post #5 of 13
Brown Semi-Brouges
Or brown moc toe
post #6 of 13
you know those are tux shoes, right?

[refers to since-removed spam - j.]
post #7 of 13
brown derby (semi brogue perhaps)
lighter brown sleek wholecut with medallion
rich deep burgundy wingtip (full brogue)
standard captoe (any color)
rich smooth velvety dark brown suede horsebit loafer.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
sorry for my ignorance, but what is a semi-brogue and brogue?
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
sorry for my ignorance, but what is a semi-brogue and brogue?
post #10 of 13
Semi brouge cap toe with medallion and perfing
Brouge wigtip
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
what do you guys think about these (AE Bentons) instead of the Park Avenues? I found them for $82 at Saks Outlet (much better than shelling out $250), but I also want versatile shoes. Any opinions appreciated!
LL
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycguy
sorry for my ignorance, but what is a semi-brogue and brogue?

semi brogue usually refers to a captoe with a medallion and perforated lines all over the lines of the shoes.
look at my avatar.

a full brogue is usually a wingtip in same fashion.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycguy
what do you guys think about these (AE Bentons) instead of the Park Avenues? I found them for $82 at Saks Outlet (much better than shelling out $250), but I also want versatile shoes. Any opinions appreciated!

The Bentons don't have quite the elegance of the Park Avenues, but you're young and just starting out. I'd keep 'em. At that price they'd be hard to pass up and will serve you well enough. Maybe with the savings you can make your "brown" shoes shell cordovans.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › First few pairs of shoes