• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best way to take care of shirts? how often to wash and keep collars clean??

tnd

Reaction score
how often do you guys wash your dress shirts? after 1 wear? 2 ??

reason i ask is because i notice especially on white shirts that by the end of the day the collar is a little dirty...now would you wash it at this point or wear it once more??

i dont know if washing after 1 wear is the best thing to do to keep them in good condition or not

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mine are washed after every wear.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tnd
how often do you guys wash your dress shirts? after 1 wear? 2 ??

reason i ask is because i notice especially on white shirts that by the end of the day the collar is a little dirty...now would you wash it at this point or wear it once more??

i dont know washing after 1 wear is the best thing to do to keep them in good condition or not

after 2 wears in the winters, 1 wear in the summer.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wash after every wear, regardless of season. I spray OxyClean on any discolored collars/cuffs before washing in cold water with mild detergent. My Miele does a good job at minimizing wear. No dryer, I iron with a LauraStar when damp.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wash after every 1-2 wears, Shout on collars, cuffs, and armpits, wash with mild detergent, remove from washer and hang dry.

I've since given up on ironing, unless I'm due for an interview.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daily.

'Vanish' with white shirts. Ironed but not tumble dried.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wash them until I see dirt/sweat on the collars, and that's usually after a few wears at least, depending on how active I was while wearing the shirt. I'll also wash sooner if they smell bad. Since transitioning to a solid deodorant stick (Arm & Hammer solid), I have almost no problems with sweat and nasty armpit stuff on the shirts.

I also use Oxy clean with the wash to get the dirt off the collars, but I dry them all in a dryer. Most of my shirts are non-iron, but the ones that aren't are a real ***** to press (RLBL and RLPL) due to the softness of the cotton.

VincentMilano

Reaction score
I wash them after every wear...
Take them to the drycleaners every 5 wears or something like that.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
after 2 wears in the winters, 1 wear in the summer.

I have problems keeping my collar clean. After 3-4 hours of wear, dirt collects on the inside of my collar and washing doesn't completely get it off.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I have problems keeping my collar clean. After 3-4 hours of wear, dirt collects on the inside of my collar and washing doesn't completely get it off.
Washing alone never completely get rid of dirt. I put oxyclean on them the day before washing.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is no one answer.........people sweat and wear their clothes differently.

I wash depending on the amount of soil collected after the first wearing - usually is a good indication if a second wear is warranted.

Wash in Woolite and hang to dry.....I'm a good shirt presser, I don't usually have any problems ;-)

Hope this helps!

rjt65

Reaction score
hmmm how often do u guys dryclean them? so one response dryclean every 4-5 wears--I used to get them drycleaned all the time bad me

thinking woolite (shout or oxy where needed in armpits collar etc) and hang dry than dryclean every 4-5 times sounds about right to me....

ferguscan

Reaction score
Gentle wash; coldest water possible; after one wear for the most part. To completely clean the collars/cuffs/underarms, scrub with laundry soap and a nail brush the night before washing. I do this once every few months.

Don't dry-clean your shirts. Not good for them. Dry cleaning is not really good for any cloths.

Stuart

rjt65

Reaction score
What about suits?

how do you keep them clean pressed?

cheers

Originally Posted by ferguscan
Gentle wash; coldest water possible; after one wear for the most part. To completely clean the collars/cuffs/underarms, scrub with laundry soap and a nail brush the night before washing. I do this once every few months.

Don't dry-clean your shirts. Not good for them. Dry cleaning is not really good for any cloths.

Stuart

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads