or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › best way to take care of shirts? how often to wash and keep collars clean??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

best way to take care of shirts? how often to wash and keep collars clean??

post #1 of 107
Thread Starter 
how often do you guys wash your dress shirts? after 1 wear? 2 ??

reason i ask is because i notice especially on white shirts that by the end of the day the collar is a little dirty...now would you wash it at this point or wear it once more??

i dont know if washing after 1 wear is the best thing to do to keep them in good condition or not
post #2 of 107
Mine are washed after every wear.
post #3 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnd View Post
how often do you guys wash your dress shirts? after 1 wear? 2 ??

reason i ask is because i notice especially on white shirts that by the end of the day the collar is a little dirty...now would you wash it at this point or wear it once more??

i dont know washing after 1 wear is the best thing to do to keep them in good condition or not

after 2 wears in the winters, 1 wear in the summer.
post #4 of 107
I wash after every wear, regardless of season. I spray OxyClean on any discolored collars/cuffs before washing in cold water with mild detergent. My Miele does a good job at minimizing wear. No dryer, I iron with a LauraStar when damp.
post #5 of 107
Wash after every 1-2 wears, Shout on collars, cuffs, and armpits, wash with mild detergent, remove from washer and hang dry.

I've since given up on ironing, unless I'm due for an interview.
post #6 of 107
Daily.

'Vanish' with white shirts. Ironed but not tumble dried.
post #7 of 107
I don't wash them until I see dirt/sweat on the collars, and that's usually after a few wears at least, depending on how active I was while wearing the shirt. I'll also wash sooner if they smell bad. Since transitioning to a solid deodorant stick (Arm & Hammer solid), I have almost no problems with sweat and nasty armpit stuff on the shirts.

I also use Oxy clean with the wash to get the dirt off the collars, but I dry them all in a dryer. Most of my shirts are non-iron, but the ones that aren't are a real bitch to press (RLBL and RLPL) due to the softness of the cotton.
post #8 of 107
I wash them after every wear...
Take them to the drycleaners every 5 wears or something like that.
post #9 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by onix View Post
after 2 wears in the winters, 1 wear in the summer.

I have problems keeping my collar clean. After 3-4 hours of wear, dirt collects on the inside of my collar and washing doesn't completely get it off.
post #10 of 107
Shirts should be washed after every wearing. Even if you only wear it for a couple of hours.
post #11 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
I have problems keeping my collar clean. After 3-4 hours of wear, dirt collects on the inside of my collar and washing doesn't completely get it off.
Washing alone never completely get rid of dirt. I put oxyclean on them the day before washing.
post #12 of 107
there is no one answer.........people sweat and wear their clothes differently. I wash depending on the amount of soil collected after the first wearing - usually is a good indication if a second wear is warranted. Wash in Woolite and hang to dry.....I'm a good shirt presser, I don't usually have any problems ;-) Hope this helps!
post #13 of 107
hmmm how often do u guys dryclean them? so one response dryclean every 4-5 wears--I used to get them drycleaned all the time bad me thinking woolite (shout or oxy where needed in armpits collar etc) and hang dry than dryclean every 4-5 times sounds about right to me....
post #14 of 107
Gentle wash; coldest water possible; after one wear for the most part. To completely clean the collars/cuffs/underarms, scrub with laundry soap and a nail brush the night before washing. I do this once every few months. Don't dry-clean your shirts. Not good for them. Dry cleaning is not really good for any cloths. Stuart
post #15 of 107
What about suits?

how do you keep them clean pressed?

cheers



Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguscan View Post
Gentle wash; coldest water possible; after one wear for the most part. To completely clean the collars/cuffs/underarms, scrub with laundry soap and a nail brush the night before washing. I do this once every few months.

Don't dry-clean your shirts. Not good for them. Dry cleaning is not really good for any cloths.

Stuart
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › best way to take care of shirts? how often to wash and keep collars clean??