or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Just how close can a shave get?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just how close can a shave get?

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
By using Proraso shaving cream and an M3Power, shaving once with and once against the grain, I'm able to achieve a shave that is totally smooth to the touch -- that is to say, by running my hand over my face I cannot distinguish which parts are shaved and which parts naturally have no hair -- and with no ingrown hairs or post-shave irritation. Visually, however, it's possible to see that my mustache area has a "shadow" from the recessed roots of hairs. But if I can't feel any hairs by touch how could a better razor possibly achieve a closer shave?
post #2 of 31
I found out ALOT about shaving by visiting the Badgerandblade.com forum. The members are EXTREMELY helpful and my god do they love shaving (as you would imagine). There are many products you could try; for instance, certain shaving creams do well to soften the hairs more so than conventional gel/spray creams and can provide much easier/smoother/closer cutting. A badger brush, which you should ALWAYS use softens hair and in essence, "stands them up" so they are easier to cut in that you can get right at the base with most hairs. I would also recommend a Merkur safety razor, which with practice, will give you a noticeably closer shave; not to mention you can buy 100 premium blades for it for under $20.

I do see what you mean, and I guess even with certain products, you will not be getting an infinitely better shave, but I have seen my "shadow" decrease a little since using these methods.

post #3 of 31
Kent, after I got a Merkur Futur and started shaving with it on the 1 setting, I thought "wow this is amazing!" and "how could I possibly get a closer shave, it is glass smooth already?!" Then I upped the setting to 2 and found out heh.

If you like your M3P, don't get irritation or ingrowns, and don't mind the cost of the cartridges, looks like you found your perfect shave. Proraso provides the best shaves I've ever had, and I am a member of SMF and B&B with a drawer filled with different creams and soaps.

Now I'm going to go back to watching the hawk eat at the dead possum in my neighbor's yard through the window.
post #4 of 31
yeah I was the same. Thought my M3Power was like 'wow, so close' - then I bought a cheap DE ('wow so close')...then I bought a slightly more expensive DE ('wow so close'), and now Im on the lookout on forthcoming Paris trip to go closer again. That said Kent, with you being, you know, all Asian n stuff, you will likely have less to battle genetically than we hairy lao wai.
post #5 of 31
You could always copy friend Beau Brummel and pluck the excess hairs that weren't shaven properly.
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
By using Proraso shaving cream and an M3Power, shaving once with and once against the grain, I'm able to achieve a shave that is totally smooth to the touch -- that is to say, by running my hand over my face I cannot distinguish which parts are shaved and which parts naturally have no hair -- and with no ingrown hairs or post-shave irritation. Visually, however, it's possible to see that my mustache area has a "shadow" from the recessed roots of hairs. But if I can't feel any hairs by touch how could a better razor possibly achieve a closer shave?

live with it. a little 'shadow' is good for you.
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
yeah I was the same.

Thought my M3Power was like 'wow, so close' - then I bought a cheap DE ('wow so close')...then I bought a slightly more expensive DE ('wow so close'), and now Im on the lookout on forthcoming Paris trip to go closer again.

That said Kent, with you being, you know, all Asian n stuff, you will likely have less to battle genetically than we hairy lao wai.
white devils?
post #8 of 31
It can get pretty damn close. For years I used a Sensor Excel. February I switched to a Merkur HD. Great change, closer and much less burn. Then I got some Feather blades for it last week. DAMN! What a difference.
post #9 of 31
I have decided starting tomorrow, I am going to stop shaving and see how long I can go (unless of course something comes up, like a job interview). It is going to be nasty and uncomfortable, but I bet I could at least do 5 days.
post #10 of 31
Your avatar is freaking the hell out of me
post #11 of 31
I want to start using a DE razor to shave figuring this will get me a better and closer shave when I ran into a problem. What kind of store sells shaving equipment? The only thing the supermarket has is Mach 3 Turbo and $3 shaving cream. I couldn't even find a shaving brush, nevermind a DE razor and high quality shaving cream, and for the life of me, I can't figure out what kind of store sells this stuff.
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
I want to start using a DE razor to shave figuring this will get me a better and closer shave when I ran into a problem. What kind of store sells shaving equipment? The only thing the supermarket has is Mach 3 Turbo and $3 shaving cream. I couldn't even find a shaving brush, nevermind a DE razor and high quality shaving cream, and for the life of me, I can't figure out what kind of store sells this stuff.
look for a shaver store (seriously). also, try a cutlery store. they often have the razors and brushes. DE blades can be found in many drugstores, pharmacies, and liquor stores. (they have many uses besides shaving.) if all else fails: classicshaving.com edit: they also sell razors and brushes at old fashioned tobacco shops. the kind of place that would carry high end pipes, lighters, etc...
post #13 of 31
I bought my stuff online.
www.emsplace.com
post #14 of 31
Those are great sources, also don't forget www.qedusa.com. Charles will promptly answer any questions you might have about shaving (or tea).

DE blades can be bought at most drug stores and Walmart, I buy mine from howard1616 on ebay. 100 Derby brand blades for around 20 bucks. (I find the quality of Derby to be exceptional.)
post #15 of 31
Thanks fellas. I'm about to order a badger brush and some Vulvix luxury shaving cream in lavendar.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Just how close can a shave get?