• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snake in my yard

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out this friendly little feller I found at the edge of my yard. This is a water moccasin, a venomous snake, about 2 ft long. This one is extraordinarily light in color. His bottom side is much darker, like his head but with a lighter pattern mixed in. I threw him back into the brackish swamp behind my house. I considered killing it since I have kids (not little ones) and dogs, but I let him go just because I don't like killing things. It surprises me that he was out. We have had lows down in the teens here in coastal North Carolina.
sales1-18030.jpg
sales1-18031.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cool pictures. Did you use something to throw him back into the swamp?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, a tool with a long handle on it. I have been around a lot of these snakes and they can be very aggressive. This one was fairly calm (although you can't tell by looking at the pics) because it is still pretty cold out.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to congratulate you on your large cojones. Did you know it was venomous when you took the first picture?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I'd like to congratulate you on your large cojones. Did you know it was venomous when you took the first picture?

Yes. Triangular head, fat body, near water. He was obviously a water moccasin, aka cottonmouth.
You can see the reason for that name in the first pic.

Trust me, I never got within striking distance. Not even close.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Yep, a tool with a long handle on it. I have been around a lot of these snakes and they can be very aggressive. This one was fairly calm (although you can't tell by looking at the pics) because it is still pretty cold out.

Originally Posted by DarkNWorn

+1

You're a more courageous man than I. The only "tool" I would have used on that sucker has a long barrel and about half a dozen chances to get it right!

Cool pics, though!

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to deal with these from time to time out at a camp I worked for in North Carolina awhile back - always had a little worry in the back of my head! Our policy was killing (kids running around) but we weren't allowed to use firearms - so we had to call one of the head staff (who DID have a .223) every time... not fun waiting around! I suppose it was safer than trying to throw a rock at them or something and provoking their aggressive tendencies.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I really came into this thread to say THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID but then I saw those pictures and I got really scared. I would have introduced that motherfucker to the head of my shovel. 2 feet long and that ******* fat? Scary. On a related note, not nearly so scary in reality, but still freaked me the hell out - my brother and I once walked into this guy in our kitchen. I was shrieking and standing on a sofa across the room when I took this photo of my bro, who caught the bastard with his bare hands. Just a big blacksnake or ratsnake, not poisonous, but freaky:
n617359812_1755124_6921.jpg

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice work. I don't like killing things either but I would have blasted the hell out of that snake.

sjd

Reaction score
Wow, that's a pretty deadly snake. I could never kill it though just because it's poisonous. There are other options.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Small snakes are cute, but I'm not at all a fan of poisonous aggressive ones.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was quail hunting 4 years ago and a rattler was about 4 feet from my foot
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
....a 12 guage will kill it. I HATE snakes.....HATE them with goose bumpy fear!! So when I heard that rattle...then saw it...my gun took the fastest 3 shots of my life....the pieces move! Now I wear Justin Kevlar Snakeboots when hunting....but if I step near one...that 12 guage will move like lightning
bounce2.gif
! Regards.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These guys were all over the swamps and canals of New Orleans when I lived there 8 years ago. Used to see them quite a bit hiding in the canals (along with the Nutrias) and almost stepped on a big one coiled up while I was walking around Bayou Coquille. Being a fresh out of high school idiot, I bent over and took a pic of the coiled up snake (living in CA my whole life I rarely ever ran into snakes). Looking back, I'm really happy it didn't feel like striking at me being I was only a few feet from it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads