Rattlesnakes are pretty friendly in comparison to a lot of other things, they usually warn you when you get too close. Except the one that bit me when I reached under our trailer to get the ball that rolled under there when I was nine or ten. That little fucker caught me by surprise. I surprised it by cutting it's head off with a shovel and then riding my bike to the hospital with it in a glass jar. In retrospect, if it'd injected any significant amount of poison, riding my bike probably would have killed me, so I guess I was lucky. It was a mama snake, and a few days later, I watched all the little baby snakes migrate out into the desert. I kind of felt bad for them. Got a cool scar though.