• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Turnbull & Asser Ties

Dib

Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if anybody had any views on the quality of T&A ties?

I really like T&A shirts and think they rate highly against the other high end RTW shirtmakers, but I'm not convinced by the quality of their ties. Looking through them recently at their sale, a lot of them seemed stiff and rigid and produced large clunky knots. My zegna ties, by way of comparison, are much softer, hang better and seem to produce much nicer knots.

Are the features of the T&A ties I describe above indicative of an inferior quality tie, or are they simply stylistic preferences?

Dib

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simply stylistic preferences. Their ties have always been thick, wide, and clunky when knotted. Personally, I can see the quality, but they're not entirely for me, and I wouldn't ever spend retail on one.

DandySF

Reaction score
The one T&A tie that I have is among my favorites. It's woven silk in blue and green. Yes, it's heavy, which I view as an attractive part of its design. Charvet produces a similar tie, but it is lighter and more fluid. Here's an unposed shot of me in this tie, which should give you a very general sense of what these ties look like in situ:
tie.jpg

w.mj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Simply stylistic preferences. Their ties have always been thick, wide, and clunky when knotted. Personally, I can see the quality, but they're not entirely for me, and I wouldn't ever spend retail on one.

That seems to be a quality of a lot of British ties. I found a few in the back of my closet from a place called "Crombie" that must have come from before my SF days and while clearly made from fine material, they were both of the style you mention.

joshman

Reaction score
I have a few. Quality is top notch and they're extremely well made.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T&A ties form large knots to fit in T&A collars.

The bold styling of each looks best on a larger collar and bigger knot.

The prints may form smaller knots than the wovens, FYI.

newtrane

Reaction score
I have dozens. Quality is great and I do not find them particulary thick.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find my non pattern T&A ties to be thinner than most UK ties such as Drakes and similar to Charvet in thickness.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like them. The thick lining works well with a 4-in-hand knot.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got several and they vary so much it's difficult to draw a conclusion, but generally I'd say the prints aren't that thick or heavy wheras the wovens vary from average thickness/knot to quite large.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I've got several and they vary so much it's difficult to draw a conclusion, but generally I'd say the prints aren't that thick or heavy wheras the wovens vary from average thickness/knot to quite large.
They do vary a bit don't they? I like their sense of color and the prints can make a good diversion here during the warmer months.

Dib

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent

I would agree with this. I actually have a couple from a few years ago that I really like although that is probably because they are much softer and more fluid than some of the ties I have seen from them recently.

One thing I can't fault them on is their selection - T&A on Jermyn Street probably has as good a selection of ties as I have ever seen (both in terms of patterns and materials used).

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
T&A ties are not everyone's taste. Personally speaking, I love the prints and color choices. They add just the right amount of splash to an otherwise conservative outfit, while managing to look smart and not gaudy. Thickness and material varies by line, in my experience, but the typically thick T&A tie is just fine by me. It will soften over time, btw.

The quality is excellent, regardless of one's assessment of the style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads