• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell cordovan + rain = ???

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
So I've read both sides of the argument. Some people, Ron Rider included, say that rain has less effect on shell than on calf, so if you wear calf in the rain you shouldn't have problems wearing shell in the rain. As long as you wipe them down and allow them to air dry, it's fine.

The other side of the argument is that some peoples' shell shoes develop small water stains, and worse, bubbling/blistering of the shell, which has never happened to any of my calf shoes and is the first I've heard of rain having this effect on shoes.

So which is it?

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my last trip:

4p0u.jpg

After 4 hours of walking around in the rain:

st1x.jpg

When I got home I used a small amount of Saphir Renno and finished with Alden paste wax. They look just fine now.

Not 100% sure about what causes those little bumps, I have a feeling it just depends on the actual shell.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear mine in the rain and just use Saphir creme cordovan in the rare case there are water marks.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have shells that are perfectly normal after wearing in the rain. I also one pair of shells that show "welting" (raised bumps) after a couple of exposures to mild rain. I was alarmed at first, but with wear and brushing they've almost gone away.

As Tom said, it is just the nature of shell. Some show this behaviour, some don't. There is no way to tell what will happen unless they get wet. But from what I have read, the water spots do eventually go away.

I'd be more worried about the outsole wear than the uppers. Then again, shoes are meant to be worn. If I know there is a very good chance of rain (or if it is raining outside), I wear beaters or rubber soled shoes. But If I am caught in rain with leather soled shoes, so be it. Nothing to do but come home and take care of them.

Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL

st1x.jpg

Tom, I like those chukkas very much! Are those your flex-welt chukkas?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've worn mine in the rain and snow without experiencing any problems. Any water marks or welts that develop disappear shortly thereafter.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
My shell chukkas (similar to Tom's, but on the standard double leather sole) are my go-to boots for rainy days. The first time I got them wet the bumps appeared, but they went away once the shoes were fully dry and I don't think I've seen them since.

sw20

Reaction score
Alden SC is <50% of cost of many of the fancy UK/EU brand calfskin shoes

Would wear new SC (in daily rotation) until need resoling; then put in rain-day fleet; and toss when next cohort of SC become rain-day worthy

Shoes, no matter how costly, are disposable commodities like $200K+ perf cars used for daily commuting in rain/sun in urban/suburban traffic

mccvi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
I wear mine in the rain and just use Saphir creme cordovan in the rare case there are water marks.

+1, Saphir for cordovan does wonders for taking care of water marks (though i still try and avoid exposure ). Can be acquired via Francos.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Shell can handle a little bit of rain exposure if need be, but I wouldn't consider it a water-resistant or rain-friendly material.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've worn shell loafers in snow and down pouring rain, and they're fine. No bumps, if they get bumps the bumps go away when they dry. If they dont a little paste clears it up.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#8 and black seem great in the rain, it seems to me the lighter colors like whiskey, the C&amp;J brown of the darltons and the mid brown of my Riders are more likely to get water spots. They go away eventually, very quickly with the application of Creme Nubiana, but I avoid grabbing those shoes if it looks rainy. The darker colors hold up very well.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I've worn shell loafers in snow and down pouring rain, and they're fine. No bumps, if they get bumps the bumps go away when they dry. If they dont a little paste clears it up.

Agreed. Also, don't try to do anything to the shell right away other than dry it after it gets wet. Spots tend to disappear on their own over a few days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads