or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shell cordovan + rain = ???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shell cordovan + rain = ??? - Page 2

post #16 of 63
Nubiana on shell? you have more guts than me
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZRM View Post
#8 and black seem great in the rain, it seems to me the lighter colors like whiskey, the C&J brown of the darltons and the mid brown of my Riders are more likely to get water spots. They go away eventually, very quickly with the application of Creme Nubiana, but I avoid grabbing those shoes if it looks rainy. The darker colors hold up very well.
post #17 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioni View Post
Nubiana on shell? you have more guts than me

Why do people fear this? I do it with positive consequences.
post #18 of 63
I've had shell that has 'welted' after the rain and shell that hasn't.

I've also had the welts disappear over time (days to weeks in some cases) and I've also had pairs where the welts haven't gone.
post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20 View Post
Alden SC is <50% of cost of many of the fancy UK/EU brand calfskin shoes
meh, in practice, not really. new Edward Greens and G&G's have been selling for the past couple weeks on B&S for amounts ranging from $400 ish to $650 ish that's pretty close to the retail of Alden Shell models...and on B&S they don't sell for much less than their "retail" price the retail price of EG and C&J etc may be more than twice as much, but they can be found cheaper on sale. thats true to a much lesser extent for the Aldens, particularly shell
post #20 of 63
Ron Rider suggests it if I remember correctly. I've had no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioni View Post
Nubiana on shell? you have more guts than me
post #21 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by srivats View Post
It is rain-friendlier than calfskin for sure.

No question about that. But I think a lot of people get the mistaken impression that "rain-friendlier than calfskin" somehow means "weatherproof." I've read talk on these boards about people's buying shell boots for hiking and climbing and whatnot. For those sorts of people, I think some realism is in order. Shell may be more rugged than calf, but it's still relatively delicate on the broad spectrum of all shoe materials.

If you're caught in the rain wearing shell, you'll probably be fine. But I wouldn't intentionally take shell out into the rain under the mistaken impression that it's purpose-built for said conditions.
post #22 of 63
Solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% water removes water spots. It has always worked for me.
post #23 of 63
A calfskin pair of mine still retain small blisters from an drizzle that became a deluge about a month or so ago. I fear that I made the problem worse by re-pollishing them after the third or fourth day. They were indeed dry, but still badly blistered. Not thick, but just several of them spread throughout the toe.
post #24 of 63
I just ordered a pair of Cordovans, and am wondering what is a good recommended creme for them? I checked the francos web site but they seem to be out of the Cordovan color. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
post #25 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by prajna12 View Post
I just ordered a pair of Cordovans, and am wondering what is a good recommended creme for them? I checked the francos web site but they seem to be out of the Cordovan color.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.
AE has a creme for cordovan that's also very good. Kiwi wax works, too, and is also recommended highly by Alden.
post #26 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZRM View Post
#8 and black seem great in the rain, it seems to me the lighter colors like whiskey, the C&J brown of the darltons and the mid brown of my Riders are more likely to get water spots. They go away eventually, very quickly with the application of Creme Nubiana, but I avoid grabbing those shoes if it looks rainy. The darker colors hold up very well.

Interesting. I'm wearing a pair of Whiskey Shell Cordovans from Vass today, and it was raining when I went to lunch. I now see small water spots on them even after I wiped them down with a cotton cloth. Hopefully they disappear over a few days or so, otherwise I will try something different.

Does anyone else know if the 50% white vinegar solution is safe for whiskey shell? And if so, how long does one wait before applying it?

Also, when I wiped them down this afternoon w/ the cotton cloth, I buffed with a fair amount of pressure. Is this bad?
post #27 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post
Also, when I wiped them down this afternoon w/ the cotton cloth, I buffed with a fair amount of pressure. Is this bad?
This is good. The more pressure the better.
post #28 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
This is good. The more pressure the better.

Thanks

I think I will give them a week to see if the spots go away before buying any creams, etc
post #29 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post
Thanks

I think I will give them a week to see if the spots go away before buying any creams, etc
Simply wiping them with a damp cloth followed by a rigorous brushing and then buffing, will sometimes do the trick, too.
post #30 of 63
i think 's 1-shoo might be sc - have you asked him?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shell cordovan + rain = ???